Zeiss binos

PAULT

Thinking of moving on my binos 7x42 bgat t*p* what would they be worth sorry if In wrong thread.

User00026

If excellent condition, and I mean really excellent, £600. Bought a couple pairs in the past that were, say, 8/10 and paid £350-£400.
I love mine, my favourite binos.

Northman_

I bought my nearly used pair two months ago for £160.
You are in another "market" / country, so might get more.

But, these are considered one of the best binoculars ever built.. and I sort of agree.
I will never get rid of mine!

I use them as spotters for my Kowa Highlander 32x82 binoculars.

Heym SR20

They are worth far more to you than you will ever get in the 2nd hand market. To get similar optic quality you will need to pay £1,000 plus, but to my mind none of the modern top end binoculars have the same ergonomics or build quality.

If they are a bit tired and worn, send them back to Zeiss and have them serviced.

caberslash

Ha ha ! No way , £500 to £600 all day if they are T*P*

Maybe they look better with rose-tinted glasses on.

Anyone who looks through binos from this era and says 'there is no difference' between these and the latest Swaro EL's or Leica Noctivid (not rangefinding models) at dusk/dawn/low light needs to go to Specsavers.

Then again, if you can't hold a pair of 10x42 steady enough freehand there is probably no difference either.

Coatings, glass quality, ergonomics and materials have moved on a great deal since the days of West and this is coming from someone who appreciates the failings of Ross telescopes and used to represent an optics manufacturer.

Looking at an original ad, I can't see any values for light transmission:
151071_zei2.jpg

They are increasingly sought after. T*P* being the best. They easily surpass my 3-12x56HT scope for low light so regardless of numbers they are good enough for me.
Light transmission data is relatively new for Zeiss. While Swaro published from the PF/PV series of scopes (92%), Zeiss didn’t until relatively recently. Even the much vaunted FL series has no % data.
I would be very surprised if it was worse than 90%.
I use mine daily from August - March. Purchased in 97.

Heym SR20

I have regularly tried over the years Swarovski and Leica 7x42s. I have very good eyesight - recent eye test showed in the top 1%, albeit I do need reading glasses now when it gets darker. For my eyes, I really cannot tell any disceranable difference between the modern binoculars and my Zeiss 7x42 T*p* and frankly I much prefer the ergonomics of mine. Maybe because I am used to them. Certainly for me I cannot see any point on effectively having to spend another £1,000 plus on new pair of binoculars when my current ones do the job just as well and are old friends.

mak

T*P* with phase coatings maybe 85% light transmission?
They would be 90% and with an Abbé Koenig roof prism, ideal for low light. A very good 2nd hand pair in a store would be around £300-£400. Selling on e-bay or similar could fetch £600-£700. They were £769 when discotnued. One of the best and as good as many of todays offerings. Listed as weatherproof because of the focus via the oculars, but in reality very few were sent in for repair due to water ingress. Happy to use them in all weathers. T* is multi-layer (Transparenz) coatings from 1979, P* is phase correction roof prism coatings from 1988. P or P* is exactly the same.

Feugh

I bought a set of the 7x off ebay a few years ago because I've always fancied a set. They were described as "optically perfect" and "scratch free", but unfortunately someone had been cleaning the lenses with either a brillo pad or sand paper. Fortunately I got my money back without too much fuss. After that I vowed never to buy optics without seeing them in person first.