Zeiss rangefinder binos

Vipa

Old tech now compared with Leica & Swaro.. the only one of the big 3 who haven't updated their technology.

Have owned the zeiss and the leica (both old and new) current Leica HD-Bs.. Zeiss noticeably dimmer due in the main to the laser receiving screen in the right barrel. Nice to hold though.

Akeld

Viking said the RRP for Meopta will be £1600-1800, anyone else see a trend. I have Leica's, can't fault them

jamross65

Personally, I'd give the Meopta's a go. I think you'll find that the glass in their RF bingo's is HD unlike Swaro (not sure about the others) and as they make the glass for Swaro anyway and are indeed part of the same group of brand names, I'd rather save a few hundred quid....

Vipa

Personally, I'd give the Meopta's a go. I think you'll find that the glass in their RF bingo's is HD unlike Swaro (not sure about the others) and as they make the glass for Swaro anyway and are indeed part of the same group of brand names, I'd rather save a few hundred quid....
Seems to be a very dated design? I'm sure the glass is as good as any of the others but they look like 1st generation Leica Geovids

jamross65

Spending wisely is not being caught up in the marketing hype and simply desiring something because it's the latest, greatest thing......as claimed in Sporting Rifle and revered by all the tackle tarts who 'pose' instead of actually 'use'.....

I still use my Swarovski 7x42 SLC's from 21 years ago and wouldn't sell them to replace with the 'latest' as having compared them there is absolutely no advantage to me spending another £1000, despite what the ads say...:D

Vipa

+1 on this. Also "looks old fashioned" isn't a valid judgement of how something works in practice.

David.
It's not about 'looking old fashioned' t's about design concepts and ergonomics moving forwards.. All top end binocular manufacturers moved away from a bridge design to a bridgeless wrap around design a long time ago because they are easier and more comfortable to hold/use. It would seem a bit of a marketing faux pas to bring a new product to market with a 30-40 year old design that had long been abandoned by everyone else!?

Cyres

Suggest you buy Leicas. Current model is fabulous but the previous model is all you will require unless your into serious precision long range shooting. I have had mine neraly 6 years, faultless and brilliant optics. However best to try all 3 and see which suits you and your eyes.

D

bewsher500

I have tried all of them recently through the group buy

Without doubt the best RF technology (IMO) is with Leica, whether in LRF form or binos

Faster, repeatable, less prone to non reads

The Swaro EL range are nicer glass for my eyes than the Zeiss and Leica
The packaging of the units lets down the Zeiss (larger) and the Swaro (belly bumps)
The fussy focus on the Leica Geovids takes a bit of getting used to

the cost is on Zeiss side but as said and older unit
the Swaro is the highest price but weakest LRF
The Leica comes with Ballistic computer, inclinomenter and environmentals built in if that floats your boat.
otheriwse the HDr is as good without the added ballistics

the Meopta glass is great
the LRF is nothing like as good though

if you just want a solid LRF get a Leica Rangemaster second hand
small and useful without the spend

Vipa

I have tried all of them recently through the group buy

Without doubt the best RF technology (IMO) is with Leica, whether in LRF form or binos

Faster, repeatable, less prone to non reads

The Swaro EL range are nicer glass for my eyes than the Zeiss and Leica
The packaging of the units lets down the Zeiss (larger) and the Swaro (belly bumps)
The fussy focus on the Leica Geovids takes a bit of getting used to

the cost is on Zeiss side but as said and older unit
the Swaro is the highest price but weakest LRF
The Leica comes with Ballistic computer, inclinomenter and environmentals built in if that floats your boat.
otheriwse the HDr is as good without the added ballistics

the Meopta glass is great
the LRF is nothing like as good though

if you just want a solid LRF get a Leica Rangemaster second hand
small and useful without the spend
Pretty much sums it up perfectly Ed although I personally found that once you have moved to rf binos, it is very difficult to go back to carrying 2 units.. tried it and almost immediately went back.

johngryphon

I still use my Swarovski 7x42 SLC's from 21 years ago and wouldn't sell them to replace with the 'latest' as having compared them there is absolutely no advantage to me spending another £1000, despite what the ads say...:D
Imo comparing 21 year old binos with the current crop is way out of tune.Coatings for clarity and toughness have improved so much that I think its time you should do another side by side comparo in real time at dusk.

Hunting/stalking in hill country especially steep ground and having the corrected range in one`s bino`s is something that once seen is incomparable.

Many times I have sat on the hill still looking at deer while my mate has packed his "these are as good as yours" away.

The top glass of today is simply that..the TOP!

jamross65

Imo comparing 21 year old binos with the current crop is way out of tune.Coatings for clarity and toughness have improved so much that I think its time you should do another side by side comparo in real time at dusk.

Hunting/stalking in hill country especially steep ground and having the corrected range in one`s bino`s is something that once seen is incomparable.

Many times I have sat on the hill still looking at deer while my mate has packed his "these are as good as yours" away.

The top glass of today is simply that..the TOP!
Of course it's relevant. How much more light do you think is transmitted nowadays compared to 20 years ago???? Folk should stop believing all the marketing garbage. I know guys in the industry including some that work for the 'big names'. Hence the reason I won't be duped....

As you get older and your eye sight deteriorates you cannot physically keep up with the potential performance of the new glass. I was told that by an optition.

Anyway, as coatings and glass manufacture improves and technology suggests better performance and blah blah blah, what doesn't change is the deers habits. And it's a very seldom occasion when I see a deer so late on I think, 'wish I had the latest glass on my bino's or scope right now....'

Maybe your mate needs glasses, not new bino's?????

I was sent a pair of the latest HD Swarovski's on loan 4 years back or so, when mine were away for new rubber armouring. When they came back I used the two side by side for almost a month before returning, in all weather and light conditions. There was absolutely no £1000 discernable difference between them. No matter how much some like to believe the hype....

The difference between eyesight of a child, when it's at it's best and would perhaps be able to make something of the 'technology' was struck home to me last year in the States, when we returned to the villa one evening and I asked my then 14 year old son to put his phone light on the combination numbers on the pad for the wee key box outside, as the ambient street light wasn't good enough for me. He said he could see them no problem and opened it unaided. I have never had to wear glasses and still don't. It's no different than the magical 7mm of pupil dilation to benefit from maximum light coming through a scope. Only possible in a younger person and again through age our pupils benefit none from that light transmission.

limulus

Of course it's relevant. How much more light do you think is transmitted nowadays compared to 20 years ago???? Folk should stop believing all the marketing garbage. I know guys in the industry including some that work for the 'big names'. Hence the reason I won't be duped....

As you get older and your eye sight deteriorates you cannot physically keep up with the potential performance of the new glass. I was told that by an optition.

Anyway, as coatings and glass manufacture improves and technology suggests better performance and blah blah blah, what doesn't change is the deers habits. And it's a very seldom occasion when I see a deer so late on I think, 'wish I had the latest glass on my bino's or scope right now....'

Maybe your mate needs glasses, not new bino's?????

I was sent a pair of the latest HD Swarovski's on loan 4 years back or so, when mine were away for new rubber armouring. When they came back I used the two side by side for almost a month before returning, in all weather and light conditions. There was absolutely no £1000 discernable difference between them. No matter how much some like to believe the hype....

The difference between eyesight of a child, when it's at it's best and would perhaps be able to make something of the 'technology' was struck home to me last year in the States, when we returned to the villa one evening and I asked my then 14 year old son to put his phone light on the combination numbers on the pad for the wee key box outside, as the ambient street light wasn't good enough for me. He said he could see them no problem and opened it unaided. I have never had to wear glasses and still don't. It's no different than the magical 7mm of pupil dilation to benefit from maximum light coming through a scope. Only possible in a younger person and again through age our pupils benefit none from that light transmission.
What he said^
i think all the above is especially true of binoculars.
An object that can be viewed with the binoculars may well not be with a rifle scope.
a pair of bushnell bins will out see the very best swaro scope.

Vipa

What he said^
i think all the above is especially true of binoculars.
An object that can be viewed with the binoculars may well not be with a rifle scope.
a pair of bushnell bins will out see the very best swaro scope.
Disagree tony.. on the same mag setting (i.e. 8 x) my Zeiss HT 3-12x56 out sees my Leica HD-bs and out saw my Zeiss RF bins too!