what you guys using in this calibre??

barrel length/contour
    bullet weight / type
    achieved velocity
    accuracy
    loads (if you wish to share)

and general comments on the calibre for uk stalking

cheers in advance

I have a 6mm version of the 47,takes some time to get a load working(still not 100%).
    I would go for a 260 (lap brass now available) or 6.5x55 over the 6.5x47, for hunting and you will have greater powder capacity.

Thanks, useful info, just what I wanted to hear

Rem 700 action with Pac Nor 26 inch fluted barrel and Bell and Carson carbon stock. Built by Riflecraft.

Started with Scirocco 130's which I wanted to use. Couldn't get them to group whatever powder i tried. After some research found others had success with 120's and 140's but not 130's. My objective in building the rifle was to achieve =/- 1" @200 yards which required 2950 fps. The 140's were not going to do it so I went for Nosler 120 BT's.

With Lapua brass and BR4 primers using 39.1 grains of R15 I'm averaging 2967 fps. Accuracy is .55" at 100 yds with a 5 shot group. Could probably improve the accuracy but when shooting deer rather than paper inside reasonable ranges .5" is good enough.

In practicle terms the meat damage is acceptable at that velocity on all species. For some reason that bullet/speed combo seems to drop most of them on the spot. I have shot Red stags and hinds, Sika, Roe and Muntjac with it. Nothing has moved more than a couple of paces before going down.

The other great benifit is that I am happy to use ot without a mod which makes it a joy to carry around. Light weight and well balanced.

I have had .308, 25-06, 6mm06AI and 7mmRem Mag. In my limited experience, this thing is the best allrounder i have used for UK species. I'm not a 6.5 nut....I use the 6-06AI for foxes and swear by that and when hunting the bigger species abroad I use the Rem Mag. IMO the 6.5 Lapua is the best toy in my quiver for UK deer species.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Blueprinted Rem 700 action, Mcswirly A5 stock, bartlein 5R 1 in 8.25 twist in a heavy profile

Have used 120 g sierra which seem quite accurate and do OK on roe, certainly round the .5 moa mark but not as good as the 123 scenars for accuracy

havent had much chance to develop loads yet but keep looking at the lighter Barnes tsx and the accubond

i've just sent a donor rifle off to be converted - currently its a sako 75 action 3 with a remmy .308 takeoff barrel fitted by riflecraft. its going to be rebarreled in 6.5 x 47 lapua with a 24" 1:8 lothar match grade barrel. stock is a macmillan sako 75 painted black (might have it duracoated green). undecided on moderator maybe sl5, jetz compact or a third eye spartan. i've got the brass (105/100) and ive got the wilson seater and neck die (need to select bushing depending on neck size i choose - cant decide if i want to neck turn or not). its going to wear a swaro tds4i 6 - 25 x 50 and i rekon those 120gn ballistic tips zeroed at 200y will hit dam near every bar all the way to the bottom one.

I would get the barrel threaded at build but have a play with it in the field without a mod before you go to the expence of buying one. I wear ears at the range but don't bother whilst stalking. My 6-06AI amd Rem Mag are both moderated but I am very happy without one on the Lapua. Makes a huge difference to the balance of the rifle.
    So much to learn and so little time left

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    what you guys using in this calibre??

barrel length/contour
    bullet weight / type
    achieved velocity
    accuracy
    loads (if you wish to share)

and general comments on the calibre for uk stalking

cheers in advance
    Hi Gary I use a 6.5 x 47 lap for stalking in one of our ranger configuration rifles.
    Rifle specs .... stiller predator action . Mcmillan htg stock. ptg milled stainless bottom metal . Jewell trigger. Lothar Walther select match barrel . 24inch rem varmint fluted
    twist 1:8.5 . screw cut m18x1.0 fitted with Jet Z compact . stiller one peice rail and egw tactical rings
    load data lapua brass. federal 205m primer vit n150 powder nosler 120 ballistic tip. ( found in my chamber best accuracy was with the bullet jumping 20 thou off the lands) . velocity from my barrel 2867 fps es 7fps sd 13.2 fps.
    accuracy averaged 0.31 taken from 5 consecutive three shot groups shot whilst taking final chrono readings.

The 260 rem is a cartridge that gets mentioned quite a bit. A good round but not without its problems when used in a remington remington clone action. If one intends to use a box magazine you may encounter problems if you wish to use the 140 -142 grain bullets . Let me explain this remark. the long 6.5 140 grain bullets have to be seated with their boat tail / shank junction seated below the neck shoulder junction of the case . this restricts case capacity and performance and is not conducive to absolute top accuracy. The stiller predator action has magazine box which is 100 thou longer than the standard remington and when used with the wyatt extended magazine box (bdl configuration only) will allow for a longer overall length of cartridge to be used. The howa action also has a longer internal dimension to the magazine box as does the winchester. Some of the older sako actions are also longer and eminantly suitable.
    I hope you find thi info usefull yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles

Quote Originally Posted by janner View Post
    ......The 260 rem is a cartridge that gets mentioned quite a bit. A good round but not without its problems when used in a remington remington clone action. If one intends to use a box magazine you may encounter problems if you wish to use the 140 -142 grain bullets . Let me explain this remark. the long 6.5 140 grain bullets have to be seated with their boat tail / shank junction seated below the neck shoulder junction of the case . this restricts case capacity and performance and is not conducive to absolute top accuracy. The stiller predator action has magazine box which is 100 thou longer than the standard remington and when used with the wyatt extended magazine box (bdl configuration only) will allow for a longer overall length of cartridge to be used. ...
    Mike

The Remington 260 Rem in my gallery was fitted with the Wyatt Extended Magazine Box by Russell Galll. Some of my rounds measure up to 2.900 inches, so without this box, I would be toiling.

Regards JCS

Hi JCS it would appear that we have reached the same conclusion and solution. DFave and I are now running some developement on the 6.5 creedmoor round which should give us a good balance between performance and the ability to use 14/142 bullets through a box mag. all the components reamers etc are in stock it is just a matter now of getting the rifle finished and out in the field so we can obtain some real world data. We will post our results when we are through. Mike Norris