6.5 CM speed

Gm81

I have loaded up some 130gr Sierra gamechangers over 36gr viht N150. Using cci magnum SR primers.

My average speed is 2568fps
This is max load on vihts app.

I went up to 36.5gr as there is no pressure signs.
Average was 2593 fps.

Rifle is a tikka ctr 24" barrel.
I know viht data is really conservative compared to my nosler reloading book.
But should I chase more speed?
36gr is a ragged hole so very accurate. I would be the limiting factor in it being better.
36.5 was much the same.
Maybe should add. It's brand new brass. If that makes much difference. But i full length size everytime anyway.

Last edited:

scotch_egg

Tikka have a reputation of being slow. I have no idea why but it is widely reported.

I am loading 37.5gr N150 under a 130gr Hornady ELD-M in a 6.5x47 and achieve 2832fps. 24” barrel

I would say N150 isn’t optimal in the creedmoor. I would be looking for a better case fill.

Although speed isn’t everything and I will presume this is a hunting rifle and don’t expect you will be shooting deer beyond 300yds. It is beyond this range where the extra velocity will be an advantage in the wind.

Gm81

Tikka have a reputation of being slow. I have no idea why but it is widely reported.

I am loading 37.5gr N150 under a 130gr Hornady ELD-M in a 6.5x47 and achieve 2832fps. 24” barrel

I would say N150 isn’t optimal in the creedmoor. I would be looking for a better case fill.

Although speed isn’t everything and I will presume this is a hunting rifle and don’t expect you will be shooting deer beyond 300yds. It is beyond this range where the extra velocity will be an advantage in the wind.
My friends has a 6.5x47 and he is very similar to you in loading for that bullet.
I know now or have read that viht isn't a good powder for a CM. But the powder I want isn't in my local shop.
I want to use RS60 but I needed a load for going away next month. So I had N150 and N160 to use. It will do the deed on a few deer while away I am sure.
I would be happy with 2800fps or there abouts. Strange how viht powders dont work well with the CM by all reports.
Thanks for your help and thoughts

Biathlonjimmy

Very keen to know how you find the bullet performs 0-400yds I have just bought 50 to trial in my .260. Hitting 2830fps with 142gr ABLR and RS60 at the moment so I expect to be close to 3000fps with those 130gr.

Loler UK

Do you have a heavy barrel?

If you have the time (including cooling if a light barrel) then go for it, take your time and if you have the inclination do some ladder tests with 3-4 rounds at each charge until you get pressure signs then hone in on your fastest node. Id recommend trying a slightly slower powder like 160 too

Lateral

6.5x47: 24" barrel, 129ABLR 3010fps RS60

6.5CM: 24" barrel, 143ELD-X 2875fps RS60

Both crono'd, data entered in Ballistic AE phone app, and +/- 0-3 clicks out to 850M.

I'm going to try the 147 ELD-X, and RL26 is showing 2860fps, the best "theoretical" results on Quickload.

Using the same barrel time node, N160 shows 2702fps, and a 108% fill rate ! I think 2900fps would be one of those very luck occasions the unexpected happens

Gm81

I'm hoping to get out and try some on a deer before I go. See how they perform. I'm hoping they aren't explosive messy. So I will keep you informed.
I will keep my eye open for the rs60. It seems to be the choice for this caliber.
Not sure if the question was to me, but it is a heavier barrel. Not sure if it's varmint barrel but it's much heavier than my t3x lite.

Scooby-3

6.5x47: 24" barrel, 129ABLR 3010fps RS60

6.5CM: 24" barrel, 143ELD-X 2875fps RS60

Both crono'd, data entered in Ballistic AE phone app, and +/- 0-3 clicks out to 850M.

I'm going to try the 147 ELD-X, and RL26 is showing 2860fps, the best "theoretical" results on Quickload.

Using the same barrel time node, N160 shows 2702fps, and a 108% fill rate ! I think 2900fps would be one of those very luck occasions the unexpected happens
Not a lucky occasion, the 3 viht powders I use perform 100-300fps faster than Quickload estimates.

I know a few people my self included using N160 in 6.5 47 and CM with 130gr and heavier bullets with very healthy muzzle velocities.

The key is barrel length, all 3 barrels are 28”
Long.

44.7gr of N160 is doing 2890 through my magnetospeed chrono, verifing strelok at distance it claims my MV is 2960.

Lateral

Not a lucky occasion, the 3 viht powders I use perform 100-300fps faster than Quickload estimates.

I know a few people my self included using N160 in 6.5 47 and CM with 130gr and heavier bullets with very healthy muzzle velocities.

The key is barrel length, all 3 barrels are 28”
Long.

44.7gr of N160 is doing 2890 through my magnetospeed chrono, verifing strelok at distance it claims my MV is 2960.
28" barrels will certainly help, but that's still a very healthy compressed load.

I've just started packing to do some testing with 147's this weekend. I'll have to throw some N160 in the box too !

Thanks

Scooby-3

Yes it is a compressed load, I have worked up to 46gr but the gun needs to be suitable throated to get to that capacity with the 147

Laurie

That's because QuickLOAD gives crap results for N160 on its standard default values. It'll underestimate PMax by 5,000 psi or so in a 6.5 Creedmoor / 260 Rem size 6.5. What you now need to do is to increase the charge weight until it produces your actual MV and that'll be pretty close to the pressure you're actually running at.

Scooby-3

That's because QuickLOAD gives crap results for N160 on its standard default values. It'll underestimate PMax by 5,000 psi or so in a 6.5 Creedmoor / 260 Rem size 6.5. What you now need to do is to increase the charge weight until it produces your actual MV and that'll be pretty close to the pressure you're actually running at.
Thanks for joining in on this thread Laurie, I have found the same with n130 in .223 and n550 in 20-250, Quickload underestimates velocity around 300fps in both these cartridges from my findings.

dodgyknees

It’s very important to remember that the powder variables used in Quickload can be well off. I’ve had an email discussion with Helmut Broemel the QL writer about this. Some of the manufacturers’ data is old and drift in their recipes isn’t necessarily captured in the software.

This is why Quickload is fun, informative, but also absolutely not a bankable guide to what will happen at the business end of the load range.

I don’t use VIHT powders as I only use ADI (Hodgdon) and Alliant so can’t comment on why they are off. But as discussed before on here, Quickload has different powder assumptions for what are in fact identical powders, e.g. ADI AR2208 and Hodgdon Varget, and even if you get a powder lot that it is very close to the model values you still have to adjust it according to the specifics of your drop tested ballistics.

petesv

hello mate you have more than enough energy to kill deer if you have one ragged hole i think you have a very good load with a 100 yard zero it will only have a 4.4 inch drop at 200yds and i dont know any of my deer stalking mates who shoot deer at 200yds accuracy is the key.