Ban Driven Grouse debate

badbob

Wild Justice is urging its members and supporters to contact their MP ahead of a Parliamentary debate next Monday.
This is the result of a petition against driven Grouse shooting. Its a war of attrition to ban all shooting sports.

countrryboy

Sorry but how can it be the hardest to justify???

I'd say it's probably the only form of shooting u can actually scientifically justify and is 100% sustainable shooting wild native born and bred bids.
Wild grey partridge shoots being the other exception.
It's the only form of shooting I would be confident defending based on proven facts.

It's the only form of game shooting u can say that about.
U can't even say that about wildfowling, mallard numbers generally declining and relying on migrant wild fowl that u have no control over

If it goes ( and esp be wise of apathy of other shooters) we deserve to have ALL game shooting banned which is wot will happen, and in a far shorter timescale than I ever imagined possible

hedge hunter

Only a matter of time
All driven bird will follow as well
Must be the hardest form of shooting to justify so was always going to be the first main target.
Rake about is right it's only a matter of time. Pheasant shooting will follow. When we are seen shooting massive numbers of birds and wasteing them it doesn't take much too see the writing is on the wall for driven shooting.its not about the sport no more its turned into a money making machine

EssBee

Complacency means you lose big time, we should be lobbying our MPs with the hard facts. Economics, environment and Employment. The ban lead brigade managed to BS the decision makers despite the "dodgy science" presented.
Stop arguing which will be next and do something about it!!

steve sxs

Heaven forbid if this gets through but if it does, the government should then take full responsibility and costs of maintaining the moors in their present state or send the bill to Wild Justice and the RSPB.
Wild justice _Rspb rally call, Ha ha ha we were not listening Ha ha ha we can't hear you 🥳

Zio65

it looks like a photocopy of what happens here in Italy, what they are practicing is called "onion politics" or rather remove a thin, small veil every day and then get to the end, here they are succeeding, try to fight otherwise you will end up
Hello

RTAW85

All feildsports in the UK and the wider world will come under fire more often as the Netflix educated clan of self righteous vegan snowflakes grows. Society are now too lazy to form their own opinions and, instead, see or hear those of a celebrity or self entitled expert on social media and jump on the band wagon. What is the core reasoning for these eejits drive to end our beloved past times... money! Earthling Ed has an estimated net worth of 62M USD, the RSPB is one of the UKs richest charities and unfortunately MPs will quite literally say anything or agree to anything if it gives them the popular vote.

RTAW85

I don't believe shooting has reached the point that lurcher, terrier and hound work has yet. That being said, it would be remiss of all involved in feildsports, and the organisations that represent them, to not see these anti groups bigger picture objectives on the horizon. Like someone mentioned above... the onion peel action of those opposed to feildsports has been occurring since the 80's, slowly chipping away. In NI there was a proposal for a ban on hunting with dogs. The shooting fraternity sat back and called the lurcher men poachers, BASC trusted the politician to leave flushing mammals out of the bill... now the shooting men are staring down the barrel of a ban that will not even allow them to flush rabbits with spaniels. Egos and snobbery in the feildsports fraternity will see us fall divided. I hope that there is an organisation generated that isn't interested in profit margins, the very thing that skews the vision of the current large organisations that apparently represent the greater good.

flatliner

it looks like a photocopy of what happens here in Italy, what they are practicing is called "onion politics" or rather remove a thin, small veil every day and then get to the end, here they are succeeding, try to fight otherwise you will end up
Hello

Also known as salami slicing.

dunwater

So u think grouse shooting is hard to justify as ur sport has been limited/restricted???

Good sensible argument there. :banghead::cuckoo:
And we wonder why shooting is so screwed

Who says just he anti's are the only 1s with a class warriors/green eyed monster complex
Driven shooting isn’t just hard to justify, its impossible to justify it.
I wouldn’t vote for, or be in favour of a ban, but it really is a total anachronism nowadays, it was hanging by a single shred of justification when the birds were going into the food chain, but with the collapse in prices and verified instances of bags being dumped, even that tiny justification been well and truly thrashed.
Admittedly that problem doesn’t apply to grouse, yet, but grouse shooting is regarded as the preserve of the wealthy and anytime Joe the worker can stick a finger into a toffs eye and get away with it, its going to happen.

RTAW85

Driven shooting isn’t just hard to justify, its impossible to justify it.
I wouldn’t vote for, or be in favour of a ban, but it really is a total anachronism nowadays, it was hanging by a single shred of justification when the birds were going into the food chain, but with the collapse in prices and verified instances of bags being dumped, even that tiny justification been well and truly thrashed.
Admittedly that problem doesn’t apply to grouse, yet, but grouse shooting is regarded as the preserve of the wealthy and anytime Joe the worker can stick a finger into a toffs eye and get away with it, its going to happen.
By reading your post there is a definitive difference between justifying driving shooting of released birds and that of wild birds. It is like everything, we need to find a balance. I remember about 10 years ago the price of driven pheasant rapidly increasing with demand. Very quickly every farm in the area I worked had their own driven shoot developed. The big estates combated the threat by putting even more birds down and advertising even bigger days. When beating a shoot, on one drive we had about 15000 pheasants in front of us at a flush point, knocking them up over the guns a hundred or so at a time. The whistle was blown when the guns had had 1000 shots and we pulled out of the drive... that was the moment I realised there was an imbalance in the driven shooting world. A year or two later came the first reports of dumped birds. The main driver of the imbalance... yet again it is money and greed. There should be a real push for self-implementing sensible and agreeable regulations on driven shooting before unworkable regulations are forced on us or it is banned completely... But that is merely an opinion!