Barnes ttsx

Sakoodin1

So after developing a load for my 7mm rem mag with 139grn lrx and field testing I was overly impressed with the results so I decided to try and get a load worked up for my .25.06,much to my dissatisfaction there isn’t a lrx for for .25 so the ttsx was my next option. I decided on the 80grn as it would go a shade faster and as we all know speed kills with these pure copper!! I got my load sorted at 3550fps and shooting in the same hole basically and I eventually got round to going out tonight on tge bucks with my call in hand. The long and short of it is I called a buck into 150 yards and got a good broadside shot just behind the shoulder and up it popped and off it went,I gave it 25 mins and walked to the strike and there was masses of lung blood in big splotches(definitely more than ive ever had with soft points) so I tracked it a whole 25 yards and there it was flat out. I was really keen to see what expansion there would be as I like a good exit and sure enough There was a expansion just inside the entry hole and a exit that would be the size of a golf ball so more than happy with that. I opened the beast up and it’s hear/lungs were absolutely destroyed (definitely more damesge than sort points)so I was happy. I am looking forward to culling a lot more deer now to see what the ttsx preforms like overall but from the numbers I’ve shot with the lrx(bearing in mind it’s a bloody big bullet for roe)and this one with the ttsx in my .25 I really can’t see any issue in switching from lead to monolithic.just thought I would share in case anyone cares 😂

Sakoodin1

Only difference between TTSX and LRX is the number of driving bands/grooves as far as I can see.
So does that give the lrx better long distance performance?in my mind stalking is stalking so 200 yards or less all the time is best!! but the Americans rave on about shooting stuff way out There with these but I can’t see how they get away with it?? because after my range work to get my speed for expansion I worked out that if you needed a follow up shot for what ever reason that 500 in the .25 and 650 in the 7mm is around 2000fps which from what I gather is the minimum expansion speed?

Edinburgh Rifles

Ah, you see, you have made the fatal error.
You have applied common sense to bullet design and application......

Never let common sense get in the way of stroking egos through marketing...
Anyone using these effectively at 400-500yds is already running then so fast the expansion is not a consideration.

Mike L

Is anyone using vhit N140 with their Barnes, I have a tub and was going to load some 130gr for the .308, it's on the vhit website as OK but not on the Barnes data?

srvet

Yes we use n140 with the 130g TTSX for my sons rifle... works really well. Can check load data and velocity later if you want

Tulloch

Ibwas speaking to a Forestry Ranger from up here the other day whonhas been testing them and in general there is a lot of concerns .

I am still testing I want to see whatbthey are like on reds, a few guys have told me the amount of runners has increased dramtically which is a worry in thick forestry.

Sakoodin1

Ibwas speaking to a Forestry Ranger from up here the other day whonhas been testing them and in general there is a lot of concerns .

I am still testing I want to see whatbthey are like on reds, a few guys have told me the amount of runners has increased dramtically which is a worry in thick forestry.
Interesting,I spoke to the wrm in Galloway and another in Ae forest district and they have mostly positive feed back but there is a odd ranger that doesn’t like them but others like them better than lead. It will be a trial and error thing I think for us all but so far I’m suitably impressed.

BigPat

I have been testing TTSX in my swede and the accuracy has been excellent and on munties they do the job but meat bruising seems more excessive than traditional bullets on both entry and exit so now need to test on larger bodied animals and play with speed to see if bruising can be minimised.

Tulloch

After speaking to guys in the States who are pro shooters. Here is what I do know.

1. In Scotland unless you have a .243 with a 1:8 twist the calibre will be illegal for Red, Sika and Fallow in Scotland. Really making the calibre defunkt as we know the smaller cals are better for many reasons as an allround Roe and Fox. Please do not be fooled in thinking that the Scot Gov will change the laws on bullet size because of thos as I do not think they will care.

2. Those who have shot large reds up here complain of runners going for longer distances.

3. Plenty complaints about pluck being pulled through exit wound on smaller deer sometimes vreakibg the diaphragm and dragging the gut with it.

4. Ricochets will increase by a lot , not going say a percentage but I reckon over 50% more ricochets on hard.

5. Price of ammo is shocking even for Barnes £60 for 50 bullets is alot .

6. this is something you have to be aware off, you will have to run a bullet size 20gr smaller than what you run just now for most cals. So like I said the .243 will be illegal for most deer in Scotland, some of the smaller calibres will struggle with bullet length and because of that I expect to see alot of complaints about moderator damage. So for example if you shoot 130gr in a 270 you need to take that to 110gr , .243 would be from 100gr to 80 or 85gr , .308 would be 150gr to 130gr and so on.

I actually do not think people realise the impact.

I personally am enjoying the challenge but I am sadistic like that but Copper is just as poisonous as lead, there has been no cases of lead poisoning in Scotland over bullets, this law was brought in in California because animals were being shot and left and vultures were dying from the lead not a done practice in the UK, copper is just as harmful to trees. I struggle with the concept, science and ideals of it all but hey ho who am I to ask?

arron

Red and roe are different things altogether regarding copper , red dont have the same effects on as with roe , I have found the reds shot with copper run further ( a lot) or as I found last year , perfect placement, lost it , shot it a week later , poorly but still on all 4 , upon killing it , the first shot was where you would want it ,, it even broke the shoulder blade on exit ,, just penciled through it !! Not good, ,,,, but not had a problem with roe

Sakoodin1

After speaking to guys in the States who are pro shooters. Here is what I do know.

1. In Scotland unless you have a .243 with a 1:8 twist the calibre will be illegal for Red, Sika and Fallow in Scotland. Really making the calibre defunkt as we know the smaller cals are better for many reasons as an allround Roe and Fox. Please do not be fooled in thinking that the Scot Gov will change the laws on bullet size because of thos as I do not think they will care.

2. Those who have shot large reds up here complain of runners going for longer distances.

3. Plenty complaints about pluck being pulled through exit wound on smaller deer sometimes vreakibg the diaphragm and dragging the gut with it.

4. Ricochets will increase by a lot , not going say a percentage but I reckon over 50% more ricochets on hard.

5. Price of ammo is shocking even for Barnes £60 for 50 bullets is alot .

6. this is something you have to be aware off, you will have to run a bullet size 20gr smaller than what you run just now for most cals. So like I said the .243 will be illegal for most deer in Scotland, some of the smaller calibres will struggle with bullet length and because of that I expect to see alot of complaints about moderator damage. So for example if you shoot 130gr in a 270 you need to take that to 110gr , .243 would be from 100gr to 80 or 85gr , .308 would be 150gr to 130gr and so on.

I actually do not think people realise the impact.

I personally am enjoying the challenge but I am sadistic like that but Copper is just as poisonous as lead, there has been no cases of lead poisoning in Scotland over bullets, this law was brought in in California because animals were being shot and left and vultures were dying from the lead not a done practice in the UK, copper is just as harmful to trees. I struggle with the concept, science and ideals of it all but hey ho who am I to ask?
Good points mate, unfortunately as long as the fc is pushing it we are knackered as they control every aspect of deer control in some way or another and unfortunately I don’t think it will be long until Gamedealers will be forced to only take deer shot with copper!!!personally I would like to use the eldx all the time as I like them bullets but we just have to move with the forced trend and I’m just trying to be a step ahead.

Tulloch

Good points mate, unfortunately as long as the fc is pushing it we are knackered as they control every aspect of deer control in some way or another and unfortunately I don’t think it will be long until Gamedealers will be forced to only take deer shot with copper!!!personally I would like to use the eldx all the time as I like them bullets but we just have to move with the forced trend and I’m just trying to be a step ahead.
Totally get that and I am the same in fact it probably effect me quicker tgan most as majority of my shooting is forestry albeit private the will most likely go aling with F&L

BigPat

The interesting thing is that a friend of mine has been talking to a FC guy to get an idea about what he should buy as his first deer rifle and the advice he has been given is a .243. Reason given is that the FEO/Police are more inclined to grant this rather than a 6.5 or .308w. It’s just another example of the different interested parties not showing any sense of joined-up thinking. To my mind the FC, Police and other organisations like BASC/BDS/NGO should all be highlighting the potential issue of .243 when lead is eventually banned.