BASC _ PERSONAL LETTER TO LORD DEAR.

kes

I shall be writing to Lord Dear (President of BASC) in an attempt to represent the views of Members and non-Members alike on the performance of the organisation he now presides over- Prince Philip now ceasing all public engagements.
I have a list of issues in my mind but I feel it would be best if anyone sufficiently interested in 'performance' lapses at BASC and the policy direction they should take in the future, could please PM me. I shall draft the letter and with the kind permission of the site owners I will post MY letter on here for your comment prior to sending. The final letter, as sent, will be posted in full and any reply.
This gentlemen is your opportunity (we hope ) to radically change the organisation which represents or which we would wish to represent us and protect shooting sports. If you have an issue which you wish presented directly, a view you wish aired, please let me know by PM.
I shall, as a matter of courtesy (SD being famous for this) copy in the Chairman and Chief Executive and all members of the Council Via the Chief Executive. I anticipate the letter will not take long - refinement may take a little longer. There may be some or no reaction but if the latter, we have tried and all should feel easier about trying to change some other organisation
which is more responsive.
In the spirit of democracy, any endorsements you may feel appropriate on the thread containing the final letter would be helpful from members or non-members of like mind in all the areas of the country
Thanks
Kes

Uncle Norm

Didn't Kes give an undertaking that he would not be posting again on BASC issues ?
It would seem that 'BASC Bashing' is not an addiction that is easily kicked.

kes

Didn't Kes give an undertaking that he would not be posting again on BASC issues ?
If this is not positive then I'll eat my hat - arent you just a bit concerned BASC isnt doing its job? Head in the sand achieves nothing. My undertaking as you put it is caveated by the fact that I said I would not stand by if it was claimed BASC was 'doing a great job - as is claimed in the Chairman's New Year message. People like you have done ore harm than I ever could.
I see saying nothing as a fools option. So if the cap fits...........

Last edited:

CarlW

I applaud you for trying kes but the horse has well and truly bolted ....
Hey Jimbo,

Please let's not give up. We care about shooting, we care about BASC (well I do, anyway), and we have a duty to help it as critical friends and co-owners. Let's support Kes in this: he is doing it for us; not for himself.

Kindest regards,

Carl

CarlW

Hey Norm,

Kes is not BASC-bashing; he is showing greater loyalty to that organisation than the rest of us. We're just taking the insurance-cover opium and sitting back in a stupor.

Please let's get behind him on this and give OUR forum a voice in OUR shooting organisation.

Kindest regards,

Carl

I've cut an pasted this. Hope its the sort of thing that you are looking to say?

I'd like to propose that unless an applicant has a previous history or prior membership of BASC, or CA, or SACS, or NGO or similar "countrysports" organisation or have held an FAC or SGC (and it doesn't have to be current but it does have to be checkable for some past time) then their application for public facing roles will not proceed. This is not discriminatory. Merely good sense to progress applicants that have actually some common values with the aims of BASC. And to filter out the "carpet baggers". Those that are happy to take the money from the Members of BASC but themselves have seen joining a "countrysports" organisation as "not for them"...."not our thing"...."never wanted to hold a gun or shoot a gun in my life".

kes

I've cut an pasted this. Hope its the sort of thing that you are looking to say?
ES
,I think what you say would give a clearer focus to where BASC should be going and how it can best derive a set of strategic directives for itself so I will include elements in support of the primary thrust of the letter which I see as 'getting closer to members objectives' and setting those as organisational goals and using these goals for performance assessment of BASC employees. People who shoot can develop such objectives - police personnel e.g. would have to ask for advice and be less certain of how to deliver.
I would see a series of fora as a subset of the Council which (regionally and by sport sector) sets challenging objectives to meet member aspirations. For example If members decided it would be sensible say for conservation to want to preserve specific habitat for woodcock. Make that an objective and then use it as the basis of SMART objectives for staff (simple measurable etc.) including possibly partnering with say even local bird watching groups to purchase small 'at-risk' areas.
BASC is to do with shooting and conservation but a bit more of the latter would potentially be a positive publicity approach, as well as worthwhile. Some of these objectives would be related to different shooting disciplines and the objectives for staff derived from those who understand a certain aspect of the their sport fully. Perhaps something related to a stalking register - let us not forget BASC is not inactive in these areas but what is it precisely that Members want in southern Scotland say?
I would also perhaps propose a secondary funding group to call for specific issue financial support outside of and in addition to subs. Would game shooting members be willing to cross-fund some projects for young shots - given the cost of game shooting and the need to preserve the sport, I would think so but it would have to be tightly targeted and wholly hypothecated funding.
I'm not forgetting the provision of advice and support and here experience and knowledge are key. So the short answer is yes but the longer answer is perhaps we wouldnt want to dictate who could and should be employed - good management can and should do that, personnel management isnt that difficult but essential at higher levels. So, management goals should be tied to staff performance outcomes so employing experienced and capable staff who know shooting will deliver them and us better results than e.g. seeking supporters grateful for a job after retirement in an unrelated career. I'm sure from your past posts you know what I am getting at.
I seem to remember it was you who suggested brevity as an aid to clarity and a tool to maximise the effectiveness of this type of correspondence. I'm hoping therefore to be brief but very much to the point.

Hey Norm,

Kes is not BASC-bashing; he is showing greater loyalty to that organisation than the rest of us. We're just taking the insurance-cover opium and sitting back in a stupor.

Please let's get behind him on this and give OUR forum a voice in OUR shooting organisation.

Kindest regards,

Carl

If this is not positive then I'll eat my hat - arent you just a bit concerned BASC isnt doing its job? Head in the sand achieves nothing. My undertaking as you put it is caveated by the fact that I said I would not stand by if it was claimed BASC was 'doing a great job - as is claimed in the Chairman's New Year message. People like you have done ore harm than I ever could.
I see saying nothing as a fools option. So if the cap fits...........
I have to class that as a 'bite' :tiphat::smug:.