Best fox bait

Tommy2bucks

Anyone got any suggestions for fox bait for one of my permissions been baiting at my bait station with food scraps out of date chicken etc cat food and been successful so far removed over 20 foxes but now the farmers German shepherd has developed a penchant for everything I put out inc raw chicken !!
any suggestions would be greatly appreciated preferably stuff the farm dog won’t eat 😂🤦‍♂️

charlieboy-shooter

50gr Vmax. They just love em.
But seriously. When I used to trap them the best bait was spare ribs. But that was urban foxes. Don’t know the scenario ( proper rural farm or bit of mixed urban/farm. ) If partly urban they will claw the bait out of a caged box so the tube will work or suspended perhaps. But spare ribs was definitely the best and you get something as well.

Last edited:

Tim.243

Get cheep dog biscuits and tip any cooking fat/juice's over them. This time of year the cracks in the ground are quite wide....foxes are used to working hard for a feed but the GS will give up....
chuck a handful around and tip some down the cracks.

Tommy2bucks

50gr Vmax. They just love em.
But seriously. When I used to trap them the best bait was spare ribs. But that was urban foxes. Don’t know the scenario ( proper rural farm or bit of mixed urban/farm. ) If partly urban they will claw the bait out of a caged box so the tube will work or suspended perhaps. But spare ribs was definitely the best and you get something as well.
Problem is the farmers dog will eat em before the fox gets em 🤦‍♂️

camodog

Is it possible to 'bait' further away from the farm ? I have not come across any farmers that are keen on allowing their dogs to wander at will around the entire holding.....for obvious reasons. I 'bait' on a number of farms where the 'farm dog' is loose, but never wanders far from the buildings.

shakey jake

any food for a fox a dog will eat, some may come back up in the wrong place.
move the place or bait at last light. i guess neither are great options

Farmer_J

How about this? 😬

Jelen

Cat food, fish flavour, sold in handy pouches. I squeeze the pouch out of the window as I drive along the track or headland to my vantage point.
A fresh pheasant carcase pegged down and opened up also works well.

Triggermortis

Fermented shrimp/fish/squid oil from a fishing tackle shop, used to flavour fishing baits , it’s really concentrated, comes in a handy sqeezy bottle that you can “drip” a trail across a field with or squirt up a fence post,but DO NOT leave it in the car where the sun can get to it, you will not want to be the one to have to clear the mess up.