Can I borrow a Chronograph

300WSM,
I saw similar damage back in the pistol days. We were shooting on Century and using a Workmate and a block to rest the gun Butt on. Then up comes a new lad in the club and rests the barrel on the block. That was low enough to send a bullet from a 357 through the works.

I bought one a few years later and a friend managed to shoot through two of the wires that hold the sun shade, once again on Century. There was quite a bit of laughter at the time as he was present when the first incident happened.
My comment was "You have just become a member of a very exclusive club".
He flatly refuses to go near the chrono now.

WAYNE DAVIES said:
Hi TJ
I got a steel framed target holder on my range at home I managed to cut that in half the other week with my .375 but so far I've managed to miss the chrono, probably only a matter of time especialy with with these crap Blasers I use :D

Wayne

this is what a .243 does to 8mm threaded rod at 100yds. very accurate rifle to hit that ;) pass the papadums!!

03072008251.jpg

the small dents in the top are .22rf. i have shot the unistrut before and .243 55gn and 85gn go straight through both sides.

Sorry Bucksden..... :D

Ain't it a **** when you turn the L/R turret the wrong way.....

Got there in the end though...

TJ

Cheers JAYB. It will be nice to put a face to a name. We will need to get a Scottish meeting for Members, although ALL Members will be welcome.

That would be good but no mention of that level 2 trash!!!!

nutty

nuttyspaniel said:
Cheers JAYB. It will be nice to put a face to a name. We will need to get a Scottish meeting for Members, although ALL Members will be welcome.

That would be good but no mention of that level 2 trash!!!!

nutty

Are you up that way Nutty?

borrowing of a chrono

I wanted to check some superb .243 loads once, i borrowed a chrono from the firearms training department at work. When it came it had an instruction booklet and talked about energies. All of the instrucions seemed to be about air rifles. I spoke to the "expert" from firearms training. i said "are you sure this will be ok for centrefire rifles?" "oh yes" he replied. so off i went and very carefully fired a .243 round through the tunnel bit. i heard the sound of breaking glass. i had a look at it and all thlittle glass windows inside had been broken by the pressure wave going through. :oops:

I don't think it was ok for centrefire rifles.

Swampy and All, I always stand my Chrono about 10 feet from the muzzle as I found that the Blast would cause the screen to go blank when placed at half that distance.

I put a question to the Shooting Times a couple of years back regarding this and the reply was "At 10 ft from the muzzle add between 10 and 20 fps. to the figure given on the Chrono to give a true Muzzle Velocity."

Hope you didn't have to pay for the Chrono.

It is in the instructions for my chrony, which is made by chrony, to stand it between 10 - 15 feet away from the muzzle, those figures are from memory but I am sure they are right. I have it mounted on a camera tripod and I aways make sure that the tripod is weighed down by the centre pole, there is a hook there. I don't want to take chances with any fluky wind turning my chrony into a target.

John

Back