Celebratory Smoke.

WH308

In the next few weeks I seem destined to suffer the inevitable fate of leaving my 30’s behind and entering my 40’s.

I like a decent scotch and a hip flask on a shoot day should I not be driving.

I do not smoke. Cigarettes do not interest me as I find the smoke acrid and unpleasant. My father smoked a pipe and an occasional cigar and I found that that smoke to be pleasant.

For my 40th I have a group of friends coming for a meal and then the next day one of them will shoot my peg on our shoot.

I intend to enter my 40’s drinking from a hipflask, smoking a cigar and watching a great friend shoot.

The whisky and birds I can sort.

The cigar I would like some advice on. What do you suggest?

If you’re not a regular cigar smoker something non Cuban would be my preference such as a new world cigar which is mild should fit the bill avoid anything that mentioned full or strong in the tasting notes imo.

As for a recommendation I find joya de Nicaragua’s to be nice smokes for the value. My advice is to pick a basket of smokes you like purely on looks alone then google the reviews after all the enjoyment starts with the eyes and nose before it’s even lit.

Smoking is an acquired taste really. I suspect that if you haven't smoked, the subtleties of most choices might be lost on you, so probably the mildest thing would be the thing to get. But it's very much out of fashion now. Unless you live near a big conurbation where there will be some lingering on, the shops that had any great choice in many towns have disappeared. The supermarkets, with the usual suspects only being available being the only game around. Maybe you might get more enjoyment in spending the money on a really nice bottle of scotch and maybe take a couple of hip flasks!

But if you really want to make smoke signals, and it's a good while since I indulged now, of the widely available cigars King Edward cigars were pretty good and came in various sizes. S'pose they're still around. But if you have a couple of weeks before the shoot in question, maybe you could order something online.

Anyway, welcome to your forties. I remember what they were like. I think.

1701053362237.png

I like these on a shootday not too big and different flavours which make them much more enjoyable for a casual cigar smoker.

Smoking is an acquired taste really. I suspect that if you haven't smoked, the subtleties of most choices might be lost on you, so probably the mildest thing would be the thing to get.

This is good advice.

Something like a mild Romeo y Julieta, they have a sweet, hay, straw type taste, not like a leathery maduro.

You could go new world with something from Drew Estate. They do some infuswd cigars like Isla Del Sol which have a coffee aroma and are very pleasant to smoke.

@WH308 I see youre in Staffs, I'm in North Shropshire, if you're passing the area give me a shout as I have a selection here, see what you fancy the smell of.

I stocked up last time I went abroad as the tax on them here is a rip.

In the next few weeks I seem destined to suffer the inevitable fate of leaving my 30’s behind and entering my 40’s.

I do not smoke. Cigarettes do not interest me as I find the smoke acrid and unpleasant. My father smoked a pipe and an occasional cigar and I found that that smoke to be pleasant.

For my 40th I have a group of friends coming for a meal and then the next day one of them will shoot my peg on our shoot.

I intend to enter my 40’s drinking from a hipflask, smoking a cigar and watching a great friend shoot.

Inevitable fate?!!
Embrace it man, not everyone makes to old age, and some not to their 40s.
Ken.

I smoked a pipe in my 20's (mainly sea fishing), the odd cigar with a friend who liked good cuban cigars in my 60's and cigarettes sparingly from my 20's. I would, if I had my time over, never smoke at all. The risks are too great and although never to excess, your life expectancy does suffer as smoking is very closely related to how hard your heart has to work to provide the rest of you with oxygen.
If its just to pass a marker - try women (casually).
Whatever YOU decide - good luck for your 70's !

I smoked a pipe in my 20's (mainly sea fishing), the odd cigar with a friend who liked good cuban cigars in my 60's and cigarettes sparingly from my 20's. I would, if I had my time over, never smoke at all. The risks are too great and although never to excess, your life expectancy does suffer as smoking is very closely related to how hard your heart has to work to provide the rest of you with oxygen.
If its just to pass a marker - try women (casually).
Whatever YOU decide - good luck for your 70's !
Life’s too short to be devoid of pleasure. Could be hit by a bus tomorrow.

Genuine question coming from someone who has never smoked, is a cigar/pipe smoke as dangerous as smoking cigarettes?
Bizarrely in all the years I have guided fisherman/hunters, only one smoked a pipe, and although it was outside my truck I wasn't averse to the aroma....not that I'm going to take it up now!

Life’s too short to be devoid of pleasure. Could be hit by a bus tomorrow.
Correct. life is far too short and precious to deprive yourself of all pleasures and you never know what tomorrow has in store for you. If you do decide to try a cigar to go with your hip flask then PLEASE make sure that one cigar does not lead to another and then another. It is all to easy to start smoking but it is hellish hard to stop once you are "hooked", and I speak as one who knows only too well!
Whatever you decide to do, enjoy your birthday!
Best Wishes! :tiphat:

Interesting post!
I don't smoke - did for a couple of years when I was young and stupid(er) - but always liked the smell of pipe smoke and cigars smoke.... I've been reading the articles about Cigars in the Shooting Times for a while and although not tempted, I found them very interesting.....and expensive! The one thing to look for is that you buy from a proper tobacconist that knows how to look after cigars and can store them correctly. It might be worth trying to find a tobacconist near you and go in and ask for a bit of advice and explain you'd like something that matches a dram. Enjoy!

Back