Cold smoked

NoIDeer

I use 1/4 teaspoon Prague #1 per pound of meat in my jerky and bacon. I'd rather take my chances with the theoretical risk of nitrosamines than the real risk of botulism.

Woodsmoke

I’m now reluctant to pop it in the smoker after seeing this topic
Are you hot-smoking or cold-smoking it?

If it's being hot-smoked, then there's no problem. If it's being cold-smoked prior to cooking, all you're doing is adding flavour so again there's no problem.

If you're planning on smoking it prior to air-drying it to turn it into venison prosciutto or similar, then that's where the potential risk is. Other than that, you're fine.

That salmon looks gorgeous, by the way! Just like gravadlax!

AdrianC

So will I need the curing agents to make venison sausage which will be cold smoked for a few hours for flavour but then cooked before consumption?
Basically I make the sausages then hang them in the smoker overnight then vacuum pack, freeze and use them in casseroles or pot roasting them.

RJD

Guys, thanks so much, I’ll be getting some Prague powder! I’ve only being curI guess bellies and loin to max 2kg So sounds like I’ve dodged a bullet!

RJD

Woodsmoke

Hopefully less dark now I’m using this stuff, Ive been curing for 3 years without it... I blame river cottage books!
Yep, ol' Hugh should've been hauled over the coals for that nonsense. I'm forever shouting at the telly when celebrity cooks waffle on about curing. It's plain to see most haven't a bloody clue about it, and they of all people should know better than to share stuff that could potentially make folk ill, or worse.

Incidentally, I tried his 'leg of lamb in hay' recipe once. What an utter lot of pish. I stopped taking him at all seriously after that.

Entertaining, yes. Educational? Probably not, unless he has his teams of researchers doing all the hard graft for him.

Far better examples to take are the likes of Ruhlman, Polcyn. Maynard Davies, Len Poli, etc :thumb:

RJD

Yep, ol' Hugh should've been hauled over the coals for that nonsense. I'm forever shouting at the telly when celebrity cooks waffle on about curing. It's plain to see most haven't a bloody clue about it, and they of all people should know better than to share stuff that could potentially make folk ill, or worse.

Incidentally, I tried his 'leg of lamb in hay' recipe once. What an utter lot of pish. I stopped taking him at all seriously after that.

Entertaining, yes. Educational? Probably not, unless he has his teams of researchers doing all the hard graft for him.

Far better examples to take are the likes of Ruhlman, Polcyn. Maynard Davies, Len Poli, etc :thumb:
Yes, HFW doesn’t have many fans, especially amongst those who know him...

Utectok

HI again
so a quick question when making brine cure1 or 2 do you weigh the whole mix or just the meat... ie 2.5kg of meat 2.5kg water = 5kg to add 0.25% cure to... or just meat? I am getting conflicting advice on internet searches... Cheers Will

Woodsmoke

HI again
so a quick question when making brine cure1 or 2 do you weigh the whole mix or just the meat... ie 2.5kg of meat 2.5kg water = 5kg to add 0.25% cure to... or just meat? I am getting conflicting advice on internet searches... Cheers Will

I use the rule of 1tbs per gallon. I think the recommended maximum allowance is up to 5 :thumb: The brine will ensure the cure is evenly-distributed throughout.