dog clippers

drummerboy

Hi wife wants to have a go at clipping the spaniel, could any member recommend a decent set of budget clippers?
Neil

I have used the same basic Wahl Homecut hair trimmer on my head every 6 weeks or so for the last 30 odd years...seems indestructible. My sister has a similar looking one which was marketed as a pet groomer, that has also gone on without problem...

At £22 I can't see past them.

Alan

I tried to get away with a cheapo Wahl clipper - it finished up with a P(iece) O(f) S(hit) rating of 100.... That's not to say that all Wahl clippers are poor - our local hairdresser uses them exclusively - but of course I bought the cheapest and it was defeated by a Springer with a coat like Dougal from the Magic Roundabout! As Martyn (above), we use the Andis AGC2 2-speed and you can get quality combs to cut at any length you want - excellent piece of kit.

I tried to get away with a cheapo Wahl clipper - it finished up with a P(iece) O(f) S(hit) rating of 100.... That's not to say that all Wahl clippers are poor - our local hairdresser uses them exclusively - but of course I bought the cheapest and it was defeated by a Springer with a coat like Dougal from the Magic Roundabout! As Martyn (above), we use the Andis AGC2 2-speed and you can get quality combs to cut at any length you want - excellent piece of kit.

What went wrong with your Wahl? My sister’s one of 20 years plus has been used on her Springers and Cockers and a few times on my Springers. Seemed to just hum along nicely.

Alan

Alan - to be honest, I'm not convinced I got the real thing. The Fearless Leader bought it over the internet and although all the names, etc were right, I've long suspected it was a copy from the YingTongTiddleEyePo ClipperCopying company. After getting burned the first time, I asked the local vet what he used - hence the Andis one....:doh:

Alan - to be honest, I'm not convinced I got the real thing. The Fearless Leader bought it over the internet and although all the names, etc were right, I've long suspected it was a copy from the YingTongTiddleEyePo ClipperCopying company. After getting burned the first time, I asked the local vet what he used - hence the Andis one....:doh:

That may well be it.

Also - to be honest, I was surprised I found one as cheap as £22 so maybe that is also suspect though relatively safe as it is through Amazon, the images look genuine....I bought mine from Argos like @Tam the Gun for just under £30...(£28.00?) That was 30 years ago so realistically maybe one should be looking at nearer £50 now? Inflation up but Retailing and Production costs down?

Just had another look on Amazon and Argos and surprisingly they still seem to be around the same price as I paid all those years ago for the basic corded model...

Dispatched from and sold by Amazon @£28.99

from Argos @ £33

All made in China now whether genuine or fakes I suspect.

Alan

Back