Dogtrace X20 - anyone have experience in field use?

An Taín Hunting Outfitter

Anyone own and tried the Dogtrace x20 setup?

[FONT=&amp]The exact position of your dog is transmitted using a radio signal sent in intervals of a few seconds. You can see not only the position, but also the exact distance and direction your dog is moving.

There are load of features with this set and although radio signal might be comprised in hilly or thick conifer if it does lose the signal it shows last location and keeps trying until signal is returned.

Pretty good I think and I look forward to seeing if anyone else has experience of using this set.

p.s. far cheaper than some of the Garmin setups but of course using radio rather than satellite, retailing at just over £300.

DOG GPS X20 - dogtrace.com

# ammendment to my post
The transmitter (collar) actually utilises GPS satellite and communicates to the receiver using radio signal. I just read that on the site. I would like to add I am not connected at all to the retail of this set, just very interested to see if anyone has successfully utilised it in the field.[/FONT]

Last edited:

okey dokey....I put my hand in the piggy bank and bought this set. Absolutely fantastic and I have treid it on the dog in thick Spruce forest (a no deer forest to minimise unnecessary stress to fawns) today.

Guys what can I say it is absolutely first class! This is a game changer, I am able to put a fence zone should the dog go out of a specific range (max range 2km) and it has a car mode so when tracking the dog from the car using the set it is not hindered my electronics and metal work of the fabric of the vehicle.

I would like to ammend my first post regarding the satellite GPS and radio frequency aspect, basically how this set differs from a Garmin.

The collar and receiver (handheld) both locate using satellite GPS but the collar transmits to the handheld using a radio frequency. In "Car Mode" the electronic compass is switched off and the collar transmits location to the receiver using satellite GPS. Dogtrace recommend switching back to the appropriate use of radio signal once out of the car which like I said is capable of up to 20km.

I would like to add that looking at the collar and box it is made for extreme environments, totally solid and rugged with the box having a tested 20m vertical drop capability and still work.

So there we go, an SD review of the DOGTRACE GPS and now a proud owner of one. With no worries of the military or Garmin deactivating my set remotely.

Keith Edmunds

okey dokey....I put my hand in the piggy bank and bought this set. Absolutely fantastic and I have treid it on the dog in thick Spruce forest (a no deer forest to minimise unnecessary stress to fawns) today.

Guys what can I say it is absolutely first class! This is a game changer, I am able to put a fence zone should the dog go out of a specific range (max range 2km) and it has a car mode so when tracking the dog from the car using the set it is not hindered my electronics and metal work of the fabric of the vehicle.

I would like to ammend my first post regarding the satellite GPS and radio frequency aspect, basically how this set differs from a Garmin.

The collar and receiver (handheld) both locate using satellite GPS but the collar transmits to the handheld using a radio frequency. In "Car Mode" the electronic compass is switched off and the collar transmits location to the receiver using satellite GPS. Dogtrace recommend switching back to the appropriate use of radio signal once out of the car which like I said is capable of up to 20km.

I would like to add that looking at the collar and box it is made for extreme environments, totally solid and rugged with the box having a tested 20m vertical drop capability and still work.

So there we go, an SD review of the DOGTRACE GPS and now a proud owner of one. With no worries of the military or Garmin deactivating my set remotely.

Nice review. Is the collar ok for smaller dogs such as dachshunds do you think?

Yes, the collar is made to be trimmed to suit and the holes start as close to the attachments as could be (ie several mm's) running the entire length of the collar. I totally applaud Dogtrace, they got this set so right and so simple solely for the hunter. Absutely first class set up.

£359 on eBay may be a lot of money for many of us but our dogs are priceless to us and you can purchase a brand new set off eBay at £16 a month (PayPal credit). Happy days.

Keith Edmunds

Yes, the collar is made to be trimmed to suit and the holes start as close to the attachments as could be (ie several mm's) running the entire length of the collar. I totally applaud Dogtrace, they got this set so right and so simple solely for the hunter. Absutely first class set up.

£359 on eBay may be a lot of money for many of us but our dogs are priceless to us and you can purchase a brand new set off eBay at £16 a month (PayPal credit). Happy days.

That's great, many thanks

ileso

so almost one year on, and with a season closed, what are your thoughts on the dogtrace?

I am currently looking at the item to buy and am tempted. so further feed back would be helpful. for use with dogs on fox.

Absolutely first class!!!!! I would be lost without it. Honestly it starts every time in under a minute, allocating satellites, allows me to see if the dog is sitting still or running, distance/direction and the durability of both the collar and box is second to none. battery life on both lasts over 40 hrs, now that can''t be beaten.

The most important thing is that not only can it locate up to 9 dogs at 20km, but also being completely legal it is the peace of mind of never having to worry about the set being remotely killed by an update or the military.

liongeorge

Are these trackers good. ? I see the post is two years old but looking at them?
I have had mine a year and use it nearly every day. It's been absolutely great. It is I guess quite basic compared with say the Garmin (which I have no experience of) as it gives you distance and direction and it signals point with a vibration if you want. Which is all you need really unless you are planning on letting your dogs go for absolutely miles and want them pinpointed on a map.
I have a pointing breed Korthals Griffon and it is superb with him as he is a good pointer and it means I can work him in cover and into dead ground where I would not be able to see him. Also useful when he is finding deer after dark.
The units are simple and robust and I've had no problems at all with it , any questions just ask
All the best George