The Lucky Hunter

J_Borer

Hi guys,

I am ready to start looking at getting my 6.5 creedmore, it’s main use will be long range target but also I will be using it for deer stalking.

I would like to build a semi custom rifle as fully custom is a step to for at the mbut by getting the parts as I can find them/afford them, I know I want to run a MST ESS chassis as I like the tactical look.

I was going to get a donor action like a rem 700, howa 1500, Tikka 595 and get a sassen or kreiger or similar barrel put on it and then do the usual trigger upgrade etc.

Is this a viable way to do things or do I need to go to a rifle builder and ask to have one built with them sourcing the parts?

If so where can I find a donor action?

Any advice welcome!

Thanks

srvet

You have the right ideas, just be careful with compatibility of action and stock as I know MDT do. Tikka T3 inlet but I’m not sure about the 595. There are a good number of aftermarket parts for the T3 so it is an attractive choice.
I normally source actions from the riflesmith of choice, SD classified, guntrader or just phone around dealers and explain what you are after. If you are going to build a Creedmore then any 308 bolt face will be a good start so long as the action length is appropriate so looking for shot out 22/250, 243, 308, 270 etc spreads the net a bit further. Barrels, also look at Bartlein as they are lovely and GB barrels for another home grown option

sauer

I had an itch years years ago to have custom built rifle from a Uk smith .... I got Russel Gall to build me one on a custom BAT action etc....... love it
But ..... easy saying this as itch scratched but knowing what I know now ...... I’d stick to a factory bought action and trick it up / re-barrel...
now I’m 99% stalking and odd plinking session .... but your use age may dictate summit else ....
Get herself a shot out action .... something like a T3 or a remmy 700
Reason being buy something that gives you most choice in terms of aftermarket stocks triggers etc ....
Get it rebarreled , trued up etc from a Smith of choice ... good few excellent lads in UK .... and you’ll save yourself a bit of cash and have a rifle that in all honesty will shoot pretty much what full custom job would do .

just my opinion .... easy to say as I scratched my itch .... if you have cash go for it .... whatever you get ... or do... moral Is shoot it and enjoy it ... life is too short

Paul

sir-slots-alot

You have the right ideas, just be careful with compatibility of action and stock as I know MDT do. Tikka T3 inlet but I’m not sure about the 595. There are a good number of aftermarket parts for the T3 so it is an attractive choice.
I normally source actions from the riflesmith of choice, SD classified, guntrader or just phone around dealers and explain what you are after. If you are going to build a Creedmore then any 308 bolt face will be a good start so long as the action length is appropriate so looking for shot out 22/250, 243, 308, 270 etc spreads the net a bit further. Barrels, also look at Bartlein as they are lovely and GB barrels for another home grown option

Totally agree.
I love the older Tikkas (I currently have a 595 and an M558) . However i am definitely starting to re think my choices about the action i would build upon (if do this again) . Getting parts is getting more difficult and expensive. There are very few choices of stocks or trigger upgrades available for the older Tikka/ Sakos compared to the T3s and other makes. Of course if you can find the parts or find a complete semi custom gun the M595s are an excellent platform to build upon.

ATB
Alan

Woodlander

Look for a T3, forget Remington.
The older Tikka actions are maybe a little nicer, but the T3 will do everything you want and the availability of aftermarket bits and bobs is endless and will be a drop in for most chassis systems.
Speak to Robin on hear, before you go any further and look to ‘future proof’yourself.
Also, before you dive in with a large lump of aluminium, take a look at the PSE Etac stock, would make an ace target stock and also light enough to take out hunting.
Don’t get too taken in by the sniper look and speak to people that have been on this journey.
Good luck with what you decide. 👍

pendle

I have been there . I needed a work horse so
I bought a shot out T3 243 for the action. I got Mike Norris to rebarrel to a 308 light weight stalking rifle with a 21" 1/2" fluted orisis barrel . I put it into a T3 super varmint stock which makes the barrel fully free floating
With a limb saver recoil pad added.

The plan was to do the same as above and sell
The rifle below.
( which is not now happening it shoots to well )

I have a tikka 695 in 6.5x55 which is awsome.
But I can not do the same as the above it's just a older model and less aftermarket parts . I did put a boyds thumbhole stock on it sold that and put the synthetic one back on.

So go for the newer action of the T3

J_Borer

I have been there . I needed a work horse so
I bought a shot out T3 243 for the action. I got Mike Norris to rebarrel to a 308 light weight stalking rifle with a 21" 1/2" fluted orisis barrel . I put it into a T3 super varmint stock which makes the barrel fully free floating
With a limb saver recoil pad added.

The plan was to do the same as above and sell
The rifle below.
( which is not now happening it shoots to well )

I have a tikka 695 in 6.5x55 which is awsome.
But I can not do the same as the above it's just a older model and less aftermarket parts . I did put a boyds thumbhole stock on it sold that and put the synthetic one back on.

So go for the newer action of the T3
Thanks for the advice, where did you get the shot out .243 from? How much should I be expecting to pay?

J_Borer

Look for a T3, forget Remington.
The older Tikka actions are maybe a little nicer, but the T3 will do everything you want and the availability of aftermarket bits and bobs is endless and will be a drop in for most chassis systems.
Speak to Robin on hear, before you go any further and look to ‘future proof’yourself.
Also, before you dive in with a large lump of aluminium, take a look at the PSE Etac stock, would make an ace target stock and also light enough to take out hunting.
Don’t get too taken in by the sniper look and speak to people that have been on this journey.
Good luck with what you decide. 👍
Thanks!

J_Borer

Thanks for the help!

pendle

No I had it sent rfd to Mike Norris. Told him it was coming I put in for a variation then went to Mike's and discussed what I wanted.

J_Borer

Pity you want a tactical look

I have two creedmoor fir sale that I’m just finishing off before advertising properly

Tikka 595

Sako 591

Both on wooden stocks - both pillar bedded

Both silvers red pads

Both custom barrels

Both ceracoated
Do you have photos? PM me!

Ronin

Distinguished Member
Neither are finished just yet - been a little busy with customer work

I am planning on having both ready be the need of next week - I’ll take some images then

hedge hunter

Have it built how you want it built that's important. No good having a gun your not happy with.ronins creedmoors will be money well spent though

UK Outfitters