GUN 6 - Has the BBC retreated from its original story?

enfieldspares

On the internet the "Way Back When Machine" can be your friend. Not just for looking at the old Pecar 'scopes website! Remember the complaints that some of us made to the BBC about its online "Gun 6" item. One of the complaints was about a claim by NABIS that a gun could be re-activated in thirty seconds.

Here's...using the "Way Back When" the relevant extract from BBC's original item.

Gun No. 6: The untold story of Britain's deadliest illegal firearm - BBC News

Helen agrees, adding that the NCA and Border Force are "particularly good" at intercepting shipments of guns.
Among these hauls, she adds, will be deactivated guns that "have often originated in post-conflict regions, including some countries in the western Balkans". Many will have been modified so they can shoot again.
These weapons are usually military-grade, and their import into the UK is organised by large criminal gangs.
It's not hard to reactivate a gun if you know what you're doing. Experts from the NABIS say they have managed to bring a deactivated gun back to life in around 30 seconds.
The final way people get their hands on guns is by buying the parts separately online - often, but not always, on the dark web - and building the weapons themselves at home.
And once a gun is in the country, it remains in circulation until it's found by the police.

Here's what is now showing on the BBC online website. There seems to be something missing?

Gun No. 6: The untold story of Britain's deadliest illegal firearm - BBC News

Helen agrees, adding that the NCA and Border Force are "particularly good" at intercepting shipments of guns.
Among these hauls, she adds, will be deactivated guns that "have often originated in post-conflict regions, including some countries in the western Balkans". Many will have been modified so they can shoot again.
These weapons are usually military-grade, and their import into the UK is organised by large criminal gangs.
The final way people get their hands on guns is by buying the parts separately online - often, but not always, on the dark web - and building the weapons themselves at home.
And once a gun is in the country, it remains in circulation until it's found by the police.

I'd add that I've yet to receive a response other than the initial acknowledgement to my complaint to the BBC about the thirty second re-activation claim by NABIS aka the National Ballistics Intelligence Service but I'll post it if I do. And if I don't? I'll be writing to the Governors of the BBC or whatever the "big cheeses" there call themselves.

Back