Intro from Devon

Devonboy

Evening all,

I live in South Devon, near Halden forest. I'll be applying for my FAC soon and taking DSC1 through BASC (already a member). Really enthusiastic and eager to learn more from experienced stalkers. Done a lot of reading up and there's an endless amount to learn! Bring it on.

Have lots of shotgun experience (have a SGC) and used to shoot .22lr competitively as a child - however more than appreciate there's a huge difference out in the field and I'm at the start of a long journey.

I have a few permissions sorted fingers crossed. Need to get them firmed up before applying for FAC obs.

Looking at organising a day or two stalking so open to pointers.

Also, calibre-wise, either 6.5x55 or 7mm08 look interesting but, I am but a newbe!

Done some dry stalks without any firepower in the woods which were fun spotting clues/id-ing of deer etc.

Cheers

GGC96

Welcome bud! I’m based down in Plymouth. If you fancy a stalk I don’t mind taking you out, although it’s in deepest darkest Cornwall :p and as always i can’t guarantee that the deer will turn up :lol:

devonair

We must be nearly neighbours. Welcome.
Both good calibres, don't think the deer really mind. Think about availability of your chosen cal. and make, each product can have a different poi. In the meantime just get out in the woods, all good experience.
You will enjoy your dcs1, totnes?

Devonboy

We must be nearly neighbours. Welcome.
Both good calibres, don't think the deer really mind. Think about availability of your chosen cal. and make, each product can have a different poi. In the meantime just get out in the woods, all good experience.
You will enjoy your dcs1, totnes?
Hi devonair,

Thanks.
I saw the Totnes dsc but I believe it's through the bds which I'm not a member of. Looking at basc dsc1 purely as already a member.

Cheers

Pine Marten

I live in South Devon, near Halden forest. I'll be applying for my FAC soon and taking DSC1 through BASC (already a member). Really enthusiastic and eager to learn more from experienced stalkers. Done a lot of reading up and there's an endless amount to learn! Bring it on.
Welcome! I see you're almost in Cornwall! Beautiful part of the world. Having some possible permissions lined up is probably the hardest part, compared to DSC1 and obtaining an FAC, so well done!

Also, calibre-wise, either 6.5x55 or 7mm08 look interesting but, I am but a newbe!
Either will be fine, but if I were you, I'd decide what sort of rifle I want first, and then look at what calibres it's available in. I use 7mm-08 amongst other reasons because I wanted a stutzen and it uses a short action, and is happy with shortish barrels. I have no regrets at all, but reloading is what makes it a viable choice. That's a whole other topic but it's really not very difficult.

Done some dry stalks without any firepower in the woods which were fun spotting clues/id-ing of deer etc.
You'll find yourself doing that involuntarily in time and boring people by pointing out sign all the time, and they won't care or won't believe you...

Devonboy

Welcome! I see you're almost in Cornwall! Beautiful part of the world. Having some possible permissions lined up is probably the hardest part, compared to DSC1 and obtaining an FAC, so well done!

Either will be fine, but if I were you, I'd decide what sort of rifle I want first, and then look at what calibres it's available in. I use 7mm-08 amongst other reasons because I wanted a stutzen and it uses a short action, and is happy with shortish barrels. I have no regrets at all, but reloading is what makes it a viable choice. That's a whole other topic but it's really not very difficult.

You'll find yourself doing that involuntarily in time and boring people by pointing out sign all the time, and they won't care or won't believe you...
Thanks for the advice re rifles...like you say, a whole different can of worms!