limbing labs

MARKSP

I have a 7 year old lab who has a bad limb, from her left shoulder. She can barely walk first thing in the morning but she doesnt seem to be in any pain with it. The vet does even no whats wrong with her.
The other morning when i was out with her i met an older guy with 2 labs of his own and he said to me 'typical lab with a limb' and he walked on laughing, I didnt get a chance to ask him what he meant by that?
I have tried loads of different way to sort this limb everything as failed. Has anyone any idea's what causing this?

cheers

Sounds like athritus to me a dose of metacam could help or there are similer herbal potions that my help over the years I have owned a few dogs that have been afflicted in a similer way if there is no pain then you are lucky.trouble is dogs cannot tell us I suggest you try googleing see what comes up and try some if it worries you.

does it sleep on a chair or bed where it hurts its shoulder when hopping down from? back of a car? does it do it when you're out of the house and you just don't know about it?

7 yr old is young for a limp in my book, is it overweight? is it a new condition, could by Lymes disease..I had my lab treated for it as it developed symptoms including shoulder pain, 10 days of antibiotics and she was as good as new..no one knows if it was Lymes or just rest, but it went away anyhow.

she was a healthy 23kg when i took her to the vet, she just has a constant limb. I have stopped working her in the beating line because of this, she's becoming a peg dog. Thanks for the advice i have googled metacam and i think im going to give it a try, lets hope it works thanks!

Mark, Metacam is not a cure for a bad limp. It may temporarily mask the problem and is a reasonable drug to use longer term for older dogs with arthritic joints but whether it is the right for your 7 year old is something else. I suppose it may come down to the cash you are willing to spend but if it was my dog I would be trying another vet to find out why your lab is limping. I would think - find the cause and you would have a better course of action for a solution/longer term caring.
As for vets who are considered experts in this field I would suggest John Ferguson who runs East Neuk Veterinary Clinic at St Monans, Anstruther, Fife.

Mark
Just a couple of questions to start with
What breeding is your Lab
How long has it had the limp for

Get your dog's shoulder xrayed and at the same time checked for elbow dysplasia as quite common in labs.Try and get a definite diagnosis before hit and miss treatment.

Get your dog's shoulder xrayed and at the same time checked for elbow dysplasia as quite common in labs.Try and get a definite diagnosis before hit and miss treatment.
This is what I was driving at,elbow dysplasia can affect the limb without you knowing that it's the elbow and not the shoulder,Morena is correct get x-rays done and then you have a definite answer
One of the reasons I always get dogs health checked before breeding
7 years old isn't old for dysplasia,I've seen dogs as young as 6 months have elbow and hip dysplasia,nasty nasty thing but it can be corrected
Another reason why I don't let my dogs run about too much before they're fully grown

seems you have it from expert now a good vet important I am very lucky having Known the same one for years,and concur metacam is good but if there is inderlying problem that can be solved go down that route. thats why this forum is so good.

The two people I would suggest in the area are John Ferguson or Alastair Renwick who work together in Fife or Andy Millar in Stirling who works out of the Broadleys Veterinary Practice. All are top blokes who exclusively treat orthopaedic problems. You will be in safe hands with any of them.

S

I have taken her to a friend of a friends who deals with greyhound injurys. Have been putting her on a vibrating table and massaging the muscles in her legs along with a 5 days of metcam seems to be working :). Shes less shift and now wants to come walks in the morning. thanks for the advice everyone

Back