New to Everything

Pontfathew

I can't help but feel I've faux pas'ed myself into the forum with a previous post, so here's my introduction!

I'm genuinely new to CF rifles, & any rifle shooting to a great extent. Having spent years shooting with shotguns, I took the step to jump onto rifles.

Now I have the ticket & the rifles I'm a little at a loss as to how to proceed. I want to learn more about all aspects (especially foxing & stalking), but cannot actively practice my shooting due to lack of local permissions (this includes a range available locally to practice zeroing etc & 100 yards).

I'm looking for any advice on any aspect of shooting with a rifle, from how to set up the rifle correctly, correct kit, paid outings to gaining my own local permission.

I've already organised a paid outing to stalk Muntjac, want to learn as much a possible & see what its all about.

I hope to learn as much as possible from the forum, and hopefully give something back when I'm competent enough!

Llyr

Pontfathew

I'm curious as to how you obtained an FAC without suitable permissions?

I have permission - but it is not local to me. It's on our family farm & shoot, which is quite a while away! This restricts me to shooting when I'm back home, which is every two weeks or so.

spandit

I have plenty of permission - but it is not local to me. It's on our family farm & shoot, which is quite a while away!

Ah, fair enough. You either need to go there more often or find a permission closer if you want to practice. Try just going out in the countryside, without a rifle, and seeing if you can sneak up on foxes etc. Try to determine whether or not they would be a safe shot

Pontfathew

Ah, fair enough. You either need to go there more often or find a permission closer if you want to practice. Try just going out in the countryside, without a rifle, and seeing if you can sneak up on foxes etc. Try to determine whether or not they would be a safe shot

Thank you for the advice, I'll be going out to see what I can achieve! Cheers.

NullMac

I think it is a good idea at the outset to go on paid outings. Look on it as a day with a coach. Tell him you don't know much and want to learn as much as you can. Pretty much everybody will be more than happy to help. They will prefer your approach to the guys who think they know it all but don't !! They see plenty of them.

We all call it stalking but in reality many experiences are radically different so the approaches and equipment are also radically different. So go and try as many things as you can and expect contradictory but strongly held opinions. It is up to you to try to work out which bits work best for you and politely park the rest.

Have fun !