Night vision add on or scope?

murph3010

I was wondering what peoples thoughts were on Night vision add on or scope? I really dont want to be changing my day scope on and off all the time but understand a dedicated night vision scope is probably better.

Also i will be on s budget. So any experiences with both ?

Was going to do traditional lamping but only have experience with rabbits and this will be for foxing and rabbits. So will want scope for 17hmr and 243.

reason im asking turns out ive been getting paid wrong for ten years at work and they will owe me s pretty penny so was thinking why not spend some of it on my shooting. as long as the wife doesnt find out. so far everthing i buy is just £50, well thats what i tell her.

Last edited:

Essex stalker

Personally I think you can't beat having a dedicated fixing rifle with night vision on. You simply go to the cabinet, take it out and you know it will be bang on
mine is a Sako 85 in .223 with a drone pro on, does everything that I want

wraith

hi i used a dedicated rifle scope for more than ten years good bits wide view can work a lot of nights without ir bad bit you can onley use at night max mag 6x rifle now a dedicated unit ad on good bit can be fitted to multiple rifles rifles can be used before dark then simpley put ad on the rear your good to go variable mag what ever day scope mag you now have a n/v with the same mag important to know you will nead a ir iluminator all the time i use a 75mil on my set up and can see to 500yards no problem down side is narower view and on some guns not a lot off rifle but to get your face on i now prefer the ad on as i can go stalking then go foxing or faxing stay out all night then start stalking hope it helps bud

murph3010

hi i used a dedicated rifle scope for more than ten years good bits wide view can work a lot of nights without ir bad bit you can onley use at night max mag 6x rifle now a dedicated unit ad on good bit can be fitted to multiple rifles rifles can be used before dark then simpley put ad on the rear your good to go variable mag what ever day scope mag you now have a n/v with the same mag important to know you will nead a ir iluminator all the time i use a 75mil on my set up and can see to 500yards no problem down side is narower view and on some guns not a lot off rifle but to get your face on i now prefer the ad on as i can go stalking then go foxing or faxing stay out all night then start stalking hope it helps bud

Thanks this was my thinking what do you use? the atom?

Last edited:

murph3010

Personally I think you can't beat having a dedicated fixing rifle with night vision on. You simply go to the cabinet, take it out and you know it will be bang on

Thanks for the reply but i wont be getting another rifle at this stage plus i want to use it on hmr zs well.

Cletracboy

I have a pulsar f135, had it approx 5 months. I knew it was a compromise when I brought it. But I am happy with it, does what I want I can keep my proper quality European glass and use it on whichever rifle is most appropriate. I am considering adding a different ir to improve clarity at range, most of my shooting is 50-150m so it's capable for that, I wouldn't personally use it any further. I hope that helps. Sam

rabbit

have a look on the NV forum plenty of advice etc on there , if your looking at an add on then either the wardy 800 around £800+ or possibly the warden adder scopecam £600 although you can buy the same unit without certain improvements apparently from custom riflescopes ,both work better with cheaper scopes so im led to believe

then there is always the screen type add on for around £300 i have one off "some bloke " on the NV forum who has been making them for years ,spot on for the money if you can get away with shooting head up

there will be others which im not up to speed with but i think you wont go wrong with any of the above

25 Sharps

Exactly the same as my 0.22, .22H, .223AI, 6.5CM etc. with the Ward700 - except it goes get rifle out of cabinet, slot ward over rear of scope, tighten screw, rifle is bang on...

Give me 350 yards shootable distance on a clear night so plenty good enough for me

Cottis

I use an old Ward 700. It is perfect when you want to use multiple rifles for night use. If I had one rifle for NV use and did not require it for day use, I would almost certainly go dedicated. I don't though, so the Ward offers maximum flexibility without reducing usability. Scope and IR dependent, you can see further than you would shoot.

Roedeer 1962

Murph ,ive got one i made my self thats spare at the moment if you would like to try it ?send me your email for pics

Cyres

I have had a look through the Warden adder cam and it would be ideal for what you need to do. It will need an appropriate scope and a Delta would fit the bill. You will need a very fine reticule on your scope as on x2 does make a standard reticule appear a bit too thick for precision shooting. The new style bayonet fitting is very good and appears quite secure and easy/quick in use.

d

The Singing Stalker

I use a longbow. Can be used day and night. Expensive but good. you lose a couple of minutes at last light.
At night it is great.
No faffing about. Point in the direction adjust the parallax and shoot. No change to poi or changing head position. I even bought a second scope to go on my HMR.
Wouldnt change it.

old keeper

I've had a Longbowfor around 12 years, I still think it's the best true day/night scope out there. Simple, very effective and take a matter of seconds to change from day to night use, I see there is the odd one turning upsecond hand now, If mine ever dies I'd get another, no hesitation.

gelert

Any add on you get has to have a scope with parallax adjustment.Be it the Nite Site,Snipercam, Ward etc.
This must be used to get the optimum usable range out of the ad on unit,coupled with a good decent IR torch.
A budget dedicated nite scope such as the Pulsar might fit your bill, or a second hand pulsar N750, which I think is far better value for money.
I would look at the Ludicres Lumens range I have the LL700, which I find superb for my usage.Eye shine is easily well over 300yrds on a fox with a good ir torch, and I use it with the Nikon Sterling Diamond which has the side adjustment.
Optics warehouse have some good second hand deals worth a look.

murph3010

some great replies thanks. The ward sounds like a winner for and add on but has anyone used the nightsite stuff. Looks good and easy to stick on any rifle built in IR . but as ive not seen anyone recommend them?? i am still leaning more to an add on.

rabbit

If your thinking nitesite your better off imo buying a unit off “ somebloke “ on the NV forum ,same sort of set up but alot better and a far better secure fitting onto the ocular end , as said i have one takes seconds to put on and a far better set up , definately worth a look , some blokes kwik fit add on rigs

murph3010

If your thinking nitesite your better off imo buying a unit off “ somebloke “ on the NV forum ,same sort of set up but alot better and a far better secure fitting onto the ocular end , as said i have one takes seconds to put on and a far better set up , definately worth a look , some blokes kwik fit add on rigs

really? better home made?

rabbit

really? better home made?

yes i think so , cheaper alot more solid as said both screen wise fitting and also the camera tube on the ocular end , never heard a bad word said about them definately worth a look , but as above you will need a scope with side parralax preferably

had a look at the nitesite viper the other day and thought it was very flimsy and cheaply made