PLANES GAME BULLET CHOICE ?

NIGELD

Hi all
I,m planning a planes game hunting trip to the dark continent for next year and just thinking about suitable bullet heads that would be good on planes game from tommies to kudu ,black/blue wieldabeast ,water buck and warthog.rifle of choice is my R8 Blaser in 30/06 thinking from 165gr to 180 gr heads.any and all input would be good thanks.

CarlW

Any premium and/or bonded bullet will do. Avoid highly-frangible ballistic-tip-type bullets as they will break up on the vegetation.

Bullet-size-wise, given the variety of game you will encounter (from a duiker to an eland) slow and heavy is generally more versatile than fast and light.

Kind regards,

Carl

Colonel

I have found that Nosler Partition are not that accurate in my rifle so I now use a bonded bullets such as Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond. I am going back to Africa next year. The first time I went to Africa I used 165gr sp ammunition in my 30-06 with great results but this time I’m taking reloads with 165gr Nosler Accubond at around 2900fps, which should be good for the long shots.

NoIDeer

2 trips borrowing 300 wm rifles, Hornady interlock 180 gn homeloads and Selier & Bellot spce 180 gn factory. Both worked well on all sized animals.

NIGELD

Hi all thanks for the replys im favouring the nosler accubonds in 165gr because they can double as a deer load at home on (Red stags).

deerwarden

Been to Africa 5 times for plains game up to kudo,, I used my 7x57 and my 270, but settled on my 270 and Barnes TTSX for the last three, as the P.H. loved the Barnes TTSX deep penetration and terminal knockdown. Barnes are a great bullet, but they do bounce about, not a problem in wide open areas, but in the U.K. I don't tend to use them. While sitting on the top of a kopi we watched a herd of blesbuck moving away at a measures 320 yds, in the middle was a badly injured blesbuck dragging a rear leg, she was slowly being left behind, and the P.H. ranged her at 650 yards, and told me to cull her. In held on her spine and she dropped like she was poleaxed, Barnes are great bullets to use in Africa. I will be 73 in January and sadly doubt that I will go again, but W.T.F. if I died over there what better way to go. NEED to get my other knee joint replaced and start getting fit again. Guy Swartz here I come next year, or the year after. deerwarden.

Last edited:

Colonel

No matter which bullet you choose it must be accurate, shot placement is just as important, so try the bullets.

A Guy Out West

I have found that Nosler Partition are not that accurate in my rifle so I now use a bonded bullets such as Hornady Interbond or Nosler Accubond. I am going back to Africa next year. The first time I went to Africa I used 165gr sp ammunition in my 30-06 with great results but this time I’m taking reloads with 165gr Nosler Accubond at around 2900fps, which should be good for the long shots.
I have run into accuracy challenges as well. Just change powders until you find one that shoots accurately. I had some 165 gr. partitions that I could not get to group, I switched from IMR 4350 to W 760. Bingo, grouped under an inch at 100 from my 30/06.

zambezi

... Barnes TTSX for the last three, as the P.H. loved the Barnes TTSX deep penetration and terminal knockdown. Barnes are a great bullet, but they do bounce about, not a problem in wide open areas...
I shot 180gr Barnes ttsx tipped Sako rounds in my Sako 85 30-06 on the last plains game trip and it worked fine on Wartog, Impala and Kudu. The ttsx round has excellent penetration and typically passes through quarry. So I agree that due consideration to backstop required.

Lateral

I was hoping to use Norma Oryx, but just couldn't get them to shoot accurately enough in my R8 300wm. Settled on Hornady ELD-x 178gn, which were very accurate.

Waterbuck, Blue, & Black Wilderbeast, Kudu, all dropped on the spot, as did everything smaller.

Would be good in the 30-06 too.

smullery

Hi all
I,m planning a planes game hunting trip to the dark continent for next year and just thinking about suitable bullet heads that would be good on planes game from tommies to kudu ,black/blue wieldabeast ,water buck and warthog.rifle of choice is my R8 Blaser in 30/06 thinking from 165gr to 180 gr heads.any and all input would be good thanks.
So what are you currently shooting?
Are you unhappy with it?

Stan

Hanechdene

I have used 165 gr interbonds and Sierra Gamekings (2145 & 2140) out of a 300 WM.

The best results came from GK 2145 as only shooting out to a max of 350m.