Recommend me a dog coat for stalking

srvet

I’m thinking ahead to the autumn and winter months really. I have just got a HWV pup after decades of Labradors, and it has become blatantly obvious that I will need to consider some sort of dog coat for the Vizsla in the colder months as he sits and shivers with a sprinkling of warm summer rain, which my previous Labs would never have batted an eyelid at! What brands of coats are you all using and are you satisfied with their function and durability? I have seen the Shooterking dog coat which I assume is designed for dogs working Boar so may perhaps be OTT.
Thanks
S

TokaS

My Beddy Whippet and Terrier use the neoprene countrymun ones. Thick and warm. Long days in the hill or just out in soaking conditions keeps them warm and happy.

Lloyd90

It’s a pup.

It won’t be able to stay as warm outside at the moment.

When older and more acclimatised it should be better.

Tim.243

I’m thinking ahead to the autumn and winter months really. I have just got a HWV pup after decades of Labradors, and it has become blatantly obvious that I will need to consider some sort of dog coat for the Vizsla in the colder months as he sits and shivers with a sprinkling of warm summer rain, which my previous Labs would never have batted an eyelid at! What brands of coats are you all using and are you satisfied with their function and durability? I have seen the Shooterking dog coat which I assume is designed for dogs working Boar so may perhaps be OTT.
Thanks
S
My Spaniel has a neoprene 5mm coat for on the marsh/windy days pigeon shooting ...was £38.00

James0586

I have a rivers west jacket for my Lab for down on the foreshore in the winter. It’s made with the fleece type fabric. Keeps her warm. Friends use the neoprene style ones and their also good.

Hayduke

I got a green quilted jacket for mine, rarely gets used but it is good to have in reserve ready, especially if we are out dawn to dusk and it is a baltic weather spell (which we seem to get a few days or weeks of most winters). Like this but bigger, perfectly adequate: Quilted Dog Coat - X-Small & Small
Jack Pyke also do a neoprene one for under £30

rms364

Could always sell it and get a proper stalkers dog (GWP)…… I just happen to have a litter due😉.
just pulling your leg about the selling….

srvet

Could always sell it and get a proper stalkers dog (GWP)…… I just happen to have a litter due😉.
just pulling your leg about the selling….
Ha ha, I would probably have to also find a new house, wife and kids if I sold him!! Amazing how fast they become one of the family 😁
I did seriously consider a GWP but at this stage I’m really happy with my choice.

scotch_egg

Thanks
S

Come on Simon, where are the photos?

nun_hunter

Hopefully he won’t need it but it’s helpful knowing what is “SD approved” and effective in inclement conditions
Look on Decathlon for their neoprene coats. Waterproof and even if your dog goes for a swim they'll still insulate and keep them warm. They come in various sizes and are adjustable so perfect for a growing dog. As a bonus they're about £15 so cheap enough to replace each year.

scotch_egg

Everyone loves a puppy 😁

What a stunner, I wish you luck, I have read lots about the HWV, GWP and even the little Teckels. I would love all of them. Too much for me and a young family.

We are collecting a lab on Saturday, even though I swore blind I wouldn’t have another dog after loosing our cocker last year.

I blame the head injury….

Keith Edmunds

Coats for dogs..........It is great that you care, I can't help thinking that we've all turned soft. I've never bought a coat for a dog, that includes smooth coated dachshunds and whippet lurchers. They were always used when coursing whippets but the point was that the dogs carried very little fat and you didn't want them using valuable energy reserves keeping warm - they needed that energy once behind the hare.

I cringe when I see owners of pups we've bred putting coats on them. However, sitting around, for long periods, in or under high seats I kind of get it for the finer coated dogs but I can't help thinking something has gone wrong in the breeding if we need to add a jacket on the dog so that he can fulfill his function on a cold day.

countrryboy

Must admit im with kieth above.

I would guess ur pup should be ok as it gets older and proper coat grows in.
Really even a smooth coated dog should handle stalking ok even if sitting below a high seat as it will have walked in quietly at heel, would be worse if it had ran in/about so built up some heat and then had to sit in the cold.
I'd just be careful with neoprene jackets as they really do hold heat in well, fine if ur dogs swimming in real cold water but even walking at ur pace it might get quite warm in a neoprene jacket

Althou the exception being after a days hard work in winter if dogs are wet, i now (well for past 8 yrs or so) put towelling jackets on my dogs after a days work which often finishes picking a duck flight, dogs are lovely and warm and dry by the time u get them out the pick after travelling home, makes a big difference to kennelled dogs working hard.
Must admit ive even meant a step further/softer now and have a log burner in kennels and let dogs lie in front of it for a while after a shoot
Otherwise can lose their condition as season goes on

I know now the norm at many FTs esp spaniels but again i can understand that, dogs expected to work like a loon instantly for 10 -20 mins then stand about for hours before getting another 10 or 20 mins if its lucky

Alantoo

At one of the game fairs I bought a couple of the Welsh Lansdowncountry.co.uk "therma-dry" three-ply woven jackets to go on the spaniels during lunch and on the way home when beating. They wick any remaining moisture away with or without a towelling.

I also use one on the dogs as camouflage if rabbiting, the white chests are a bit of a giveaway otherwise.

Alan

image.jpeg