'Sold' advert listings

PSE Composites Limited

willowbank

I've seen listing not marked as sold but 'NOW SOLD....... you were toooo late 😂' added to the listing... what a......

I seem to remember you having a pop when I sold a mincer and forgot to mark it sold, it was more of an elongated lecture actually which you pretty soon edited.

Now if you would like to expand on the comment ‘what a....’ I’ll happily take you on.

Willowbank

Mog

How do you forget to mark sold then post NOW SOLD....... you were toooo late 😂' I never mentioned who posted the comment... 'I’ll happily take you on.' are you serious!

EMcC

It is rather time wasting and annoying particularly when there is more than one page marked up as For Sale only to find on the last page the words Now Sold.
What I can't understand is if the seller is good enough to scroll through and post Now sold why not just go to the headers and mark the item as sold

deerstalker.308

I wondered that too. It might be handy to have a record though, in case of any issues further down the line? Probably a better idea just to remove it though, right enough
It’s also useful to see what similar items have gone for to check the price being asked is roughly appropriate.... i lock threads once I’ve sold an item, I feel that it protects me and the buyer insomuch as it locks the thread showing how it was described etc, but it doesn’t allow for additional comments to if (heaven forbid) there are issues, it can only be sorted out privately by pm (as it should be).

LeftHandGuy

Assuming the adverts are marked as sold is it not a useful resource if the sold ads still exist for reference as to the “going rate”? Ultimately everything is only worth what someone will pay for it but good to see what similar items have sold for?
I have certainly found the “sold” classification useful for this reason.

I think you can filter your search results as well if you want to exclude items that have been marked as sold (or indeed only to include ones that have actually sold, might be useful to someone trying to work out how to price an item of their own for sale).

That said, it does rely upon people actually updating their “for sale” threads with the correct status, which is only courteous to the forum as a whole.

I think straight deletion is unnecessary, as the threads often contain useful information and pictures. Maybe admin could script deletion of “stale” for sale listings, ones that are still marked as available but have zero activity for X time? Might be a good balance between the extremes?

Sinistral

Just a thought, is it possible to have the 'sold' listings either removed or placed into a different sub-forum? :-|

why not just remove it once its sold ?
I'm not a Serial Seller. If they're not Trade then to me these are the SS of the brotherland.
Unless a thread is marked 'SOLD' it can't be archived or deleted automatically.
Neither is it fair to time-limit Ads that haven't attracted a reply within (say) a month or so, as these might be slow-burners.

What I find annoying is advertisers tinkering with the original Ad by removing sold items & overwriting asking prices.
Nobody knows then what the hell's going on, and all the sales history is lost.

The original Ad could be write-protected or frozen at the end of each item (easy), then marked up as 'sold pending funds' or whatever.
That way if an item doesn't have a marker set by the seller, or there's no interest evident on the thread, then it's still up FOR SALE.

The reason that you find out an item has already gone is because the sale has been done by PM. I would make interested parties register on the Advert thread before they can PM so everybody knows there's a bidder on the scene. That would stop people who use 'PM sent' as a tactic to put off other buyers. That's what I think anyway.:)

paul o'

I Just wish when guys sell stuff they :
1 / say its gone ( SOLD ) as fast as they posted the add .
or
2/ just delete the add when sold ?. ( a far better way )
I'am sure this will remove hundreds of old posts and adds from the bank . There is nothing as bad as seeing a golden nugget , only to read all the way down to see its been sold ! or vie a pm to find it was sold yonks ago..
:tiphat:
Have a nice weekend chaps.

Last edited:

Woodsmoke

I Just wish when guys sell stuff they :
1 / say its gone ( SOLD ) as fast as they posted the add .
or
2/ just delete the add when sold ?. ( a far better way )
I'am sure this will remove hundreds of old posts and adds from the bank . There is nothing as bad as seeing a golden nugget , only to read all the way down to see its been sold ! or vie a pm to find it was sold yonks ago..
:tiphat:
Have a nice weekend chaps.
Yep. It's pretty irritating. Especially, as you say, when the OP is on the post like lightning when they think they've a chance of a sale

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...