Swine Flue getting closer....

Apthorpe

Hmm. Chances of the UK taking effective action to prevent this entering the country?

I suspect low, because officials will still want to facilitate trade in potentially affected material to make their chums in EU bureaucracies happy.

Bavarianbrit

One of the worst causes of the ASP spread it seems is eastern European lorry drivers taking their food from home with them on their runs as they cannot afford the western rest area prices and chucking the spam sarnies away when they whiff a bit in German/Belgian etc parking areas.

Apthorpe

One of the worst causes of the ASP spread it seems is eastern European lorry drivers taking their food from home with them on their runs as they cannot afford the western rest area prices and chucking the spam sarnies away when they whiff a bit in German/Belgian etc parking areas.
And where does everyone think all the meat in the hundreds of Polish and other Eastern European shops comes from? Much of which is unpackaged, untraced and improbably cheap - even by Eastern standards.
I suspect the sarnies are a red herring.

Buchan

If you go for boar on the European mainland please make sure you throughly clean your kit - toothbrush in the tread of the boots deep.

Olaf

That and raptors etc eating carcasses of infected animals and then poohing on stuff that domestic pigs and Eurasian wild boar then eat. It’s spread can be slowed down but it’s not possible to stop it. It’s just a matter of time before its everywhere. Just like Covid 19.
that video of the Romanian problem was pretty disturbing, but it would still spread even without their absolutely shockingly poor approach to deal with it. all we as hunters can do , is our bit to slow the spread down by following the correct procedures and shooting as many wild boar as possible.
the sad thing is though that ramblers and other people enjoying the outdoors are far more likely to spread it about on their footwear and camping kit etc as very few non hunters I’ve spoken to in this country have The faintest clue what it is or how to try to hinder its spread.
Kindest regards, Olaf

BryanDC

And where does everyone think all the meat in the hundreds of Polish and other Eastern European shops comes from? Much of which is unpackaged, untraced and improbably cheap - even by Eastern standards.
I suspect the sarnies are a red herring.
Apparently much of it is home produced and wouldn't be sold anywhere legally. I think you are paniking unnecessarily over perfectly legal exports and imports of products that are produced to normal standards. Just be glad that most of their home made sandwiches are probably eaten or thrown out before they cross the channel.

Olaf makes a good point about non-hunters bringing it back on their shoes and other kit from holidays in infected counties and they have no idea of the problem.

Druckjagd

Hi so I have just got back from Germany [ hirschbrunft] the scoop is there’s been 18 cases in Brandenburg region right on the border they built a fence last year on the border with Poland but it has spread .Brandenberg has 100 km radius of the spread no hunting at all and as it spreads it will grow obviously,Mecklinburg is about to close there borders to any outsiders that means even german hunters from outside there county are to be banned.
So Guys if you have trips booked in Germany for the winter don’t hold your breath as it’s extremely volatile.
I have over 30 drivers hunts booked this winter in Germany alone and I was leaving for Hungary today but not to be ,not a good year and the ironic thing is this is a bumper year for the boar .

WMH

Bavarianbrit

Hi so I have just got back from Germany [ hirschbrunft] the scoop is there’s been 18 cases in Brandenburg region right on the border they built a fence last year on the border with Poland but it has spread .Brandenberg has 100 km radius of the spread no hunting at all and as it spreads it will grow obviously,Mecklinburg is about to close there borders to any outsiders that means even german hunters from outside there county are to be banned.
So Guys if you have trips booked in Germany for the winter don’t hold your breath as it’s extremely volatile.
I have over 30 drivers hunts booked this winter in Germany alone and I was leaving for Hungary today but not to be ,not a good year and the ironic thing is this is a bumper year for the boar .

WMH
And the German authorities are still refusing to take night vision scopes off the "if you own one = go to jail" law book. Sad shake of head.

Bavarianbrit

Night vision thing is changing most state forest rangers are being issued with Nv and thermal now and licences being given to use it in some areas .
But you have to go through mega hoops to get a permission. In my area not one normal hunter has been given permission yet as the office manager is totally against them supposedly on sportsmanship grounds (Neumarkt I.d Opf).

Druckjagd

Yes it always rules and hoops and cooperative burea managers but things are on the change in Mecklenburg,Brandenburg,Schleswig-Holstein and Lower Saxony are definitely changing there tune I think it’s a shame as it becomes a slippery slope next Dam then Rot where does it end but there is a job to do I surpose.
wmh

243 fallow

Yes I’ve seen the signs in the parking places, I occasionally go to Rheda to deliver sow sides in the close season, they have warning signs all over the place regarding it. The Chinese have stopped importing European pork at the moment apparently.