Tracking Dachshund Supreme

Keith Edmunds

Just like to extend a huge congratulations to Stefan Fub ( handling LYSANDER VOM LUBOWSEE ) for winning Bundessuchensieger 2019.

If winning the Europapokal two years in succession wasn't impressive enough, Stefan decided to concentrate this year on the Bundessuchensieger tracking competition - that he sees as the hardest there is, up against the best tracking dogs across the globe, including Bavarian and Hanoverian. A team that will go down in history for sure.

Gebrauchssieger 2017
FCI Europapokal VGP Sieger 2017
WUT-Working Champion 2018
FCI Europapokal VGP Sieger 2018
C.I.T. Internationaler Arbeitschampion 19
I-ACh Italienischer Arbeitschampion 19
Bundessuchensieger 2019

70418268_2664394403591782_7534901898944446464_o.jpg

pj1

Does look like your Ziggy Keith any relation?
Is there anywhere that we can find out what the tracks, tests involve. I’ve tried google translate but it comes up with some very interesting alternatives.

Keith Edmunds

Lysander is more closely related to Hazel and Bella - his father 'Groll vom Bruchsee' is Hazel and Bella's grand-sire. In turn, Groll's sire is 'Hieros des Horles de la Vielle Voye' is one of the most famous working dachshunds - Sire of 40 champions, 20 International working champions and 10 French working champions. Your Ziggy has a relative named 'Nemrod des Horles de la Vielle Voy' in his sires pedigree

Lysanders dam's line is also top class - she is the granddaughter of Aramis vom Lohheidesee - another very famous sire indeed. Lysanders black and tan most likely comes from the Aramis line.

Talking to Stefan a couple of weeks ago he simply said the land that the trails are laid is stuffed with game (boar and deer) and that it is significantly more difficult than SchwhK/40 - which itself is seen by many as a tracking pinnacle with it being a 1000m+ trail, aged at least 40 hours. He is going to do me a 'news piece' for the CW so - watch that space.

Reactions: pj1

James0586

Just like to extend a huge congratulations to Stefan Fub ( handling LYSANDER VOM LUBOWSEE ) for winning Bundessuchensieger 2019.

If winning the Europapokal two years in succession wasn't impressive enough, Stefan decided to concentrate this year on the Bundessuchensieger tracking competition - that he sees as the hardest there is, up against the best tracking dogs across the globe, including Bavarian and Hanoverian. A team that will go down in history for sure.

Gebrauchssieger 2017
FCI Europapokal VGP Sieger 2017
WUT-Working Champion 2018
FCI Europapokal VGP Sieger 2018
C.I.T. Internationaler Arbeitschampion 19
I-ACh Italienischer Arbeitschampion 19
Bundessuchensieger 2019

View attachment 136440
That’s a smart looking bit of kit :thumb:

Keith Edmunds

Here is some more info from Stefan.......

The Bundessiegersuche of the DTK is a special and very sophisticated Bloodtracking trial on a super high level. Only the 16 top teams from Germany are allowed to start.
Before starting on the BSS all Teams has to win an area qualification trial.

The teams has to work a track aged 20 hours. The track is prepared with 250 ml of red deer blood for 1000m-1200m . On the trial the dog has to find 5 markers on the track and come the end in maximum 90 minutes. Lysander did an outstanding job and he was the only dog what was able to find all markers. From 16 teams in the trial only 6 teams could pass that trial. The second place team found 4 markers.

mereside

Keith I don't understand why only 6 teams can pass can you elaborate? the track sounds like any other for breed standards except for the blood as VH don't use any. I presume the verwiesen points are pieces of bone or hair?, regards wayne

Keith Edmunds

Keith I don't understand why only 6 teams can pass can you elaborate? the track sounds like any other for breed standards except for the blood as VH don't use any. I presume the verwiesen points are pieces of bone or hair?, regards wayne
Hi Wayne. From my understanding only 6 teams completed the trial to the end but they did not collect all 5 markers - the second place collected four of the markers. My understanding is that there are no judges, just the laid trail - 250 ml blood - no scent shoes - with 5 markers placed along the trail. I believe that those not collecting all five markers is an indication that their accuracy on the trail was not adequate and they may have bypassed a marker - cut a corner so to speak.

My initial understanding was that the trails on the day were open to all breeds but with later clarification it seems there are breed specific championships.

I assume when you say the VH trail uses no blood - it does then use scent shoes? Please share more about the test.

mereside

Our tests are done over 24hr with either a natural track or scent shoe, with a separate verweisen points I was the only one out of ten to get all verweisen points but I lost marks because when you put the dog onto the track you have to say when the dog is correct I marked the track correctly but she picked up the track but went a few yards the wrong way getting her bearings I knew she went the wrong way by her manarism and I asked her to turn around with a voice command and this was a deduction as it is that strict,the of the whole testing in that excersise is how the dog works, I could have let her work it out but it’s a team and I knew she turned the wrong way so helped this is the correct way but it cost me points.
The tracks are blind and you decide if it’s the correct one. The main test is on a real live wounded beast after a driven hunt on whatever species is present and this is all about the team working for the end result being a chase and either knife or rifle being used

mereside

Ah i See, in the vH we just use a small 2-3 mm piece of bone or skin covered over with leaf matter

mereside

the dogs put there nose on it till you can check it out, but the judges know where all the placings are anyway.

Keith Edmunds

the dogs put there nose on it till you can check it out, but the judges know where all the placings are anyway.
Even so - 2-3 mm is incredible. The wooden discs are used because a raccoon/fox/badger could remove any marker left 20 plus hours that was bone or skin.