Tracks on a Quad Bike

Ben82

Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience of using a Quad bike with tracks? I would be interested to know how they can handle the often very extreme terrain - Bogs, side slopes, burn crossings etc. I did think about buying an argo but they just to large to cart around, plus I already have a good quad bike.

Thanks - Ben

User00014

Hi All,

Does anybody have any experience of using a Quad bike with tracks? I would be interested to know how they can handle the often very extreme terrain - Bogs, side slopes, burn crossings etc. I did think about buying an argo but they just to large to cart around, plus I already have a good quad bike.

Thanks - Ben

JAYB is your man to ask, open to being corrected but I believe he had a Yamaha Grizzly on Tracks?!

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
JAYB is your man to ask, open to being corrected but I believe he had a Yamaha Grizzly on Tracks?!

Correct lee, tracks on a quad make it a most formidable beast. Mine was used in the Highlands on soft ground they are unbeatable there were places if I got off I used to start sinking into the soft ground, I used to pull out other quads that got stuck going over the same ground as me. They are great over the boggy ground and burn crossings. All the weight is down low and this lowers the centre of gravity which greatly improves their ability on side slopes. Because of their next to nothing footprint they do not damage the ground hardly at all, much kinder than tyres, excellent for climbing rocks/loose ground. They glide over deep snow, and are great over brashings.

On the minus side they do make the steering heavy, I never had power steering which may well help.

Did I say I liked mine :D

John

Ben82

So you think they are safer than a quad on tyres?? If so I might get a set on my Foreman.

lochty

Much safer than a quad on tyres, but still dangerous. We used a Can Am with tracks on snow, which worked very well, even on deep powder. Ice could be interesting however. As JAYB said, the footprint is much larger than a tyre, leading to much lower ground pressure. The only disadvantage is the cost, as they are expensive, and the hassle of a couple of hours work to fit them. Dave

rodp

Hi All,

Thanks - Ben

Put an Argo next to a big (ish) quad and they're not so big as you think. An Argo almost filled my trailer, a 500 Foreman also doesn't leave a lot of room.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
So you think they are safer than a quad on tyres?? If so I might get a set on my Foreman.

As lochty said they are safer than tyres, but like any type of machine, tool implement or whatever they are only as safe as the operator. The cost is off putting but if it is a tax deductible business cost and you have the work for them well worth the outlay.

John

farmerfil

Who sells them in the UK please? And have yuo any experience with double wheels and those sort of dustbin things that bolt onto the wheels to spread the load?
Thanks,
Phil

Freeforester

For improved lower c of g some partially fill the quad tyres with water prior to inflation, certainly helps them on the side of the hill and steep bits, but tracks are always going to do less damage to the ground vegetation, especially where it's boggy, as JAYB suggests (unlikely that a wheeled quad could ever rescue a bogged tracked one!)

Last edited:

Outback

Having worked for a Polaris dealership , I fitted quite a few different m/c with tracks they were very good off road as every one has said but they would be very noisy and jarring on tracks to the off road ground and would some times squeak and spook the deer . then they need to be checked regularly as with the abuse they come lose .

Leadwasp

Who sells them in the UK please? And have yuo any experience with double wheels and those sort of dustbin things that bolt onto the wheels to spread the load?
Thanks,
Phil

Camoplast (Patersons ATV will get some), Supatracks UK, Ireland Europe Rubber ATV track conversions, Camso tracks, 4x4 track systems, Mattracks ATV track conversions, Litefoot UTV tracks, Best-Grip ice studs, Camso tracks, extra light lite foot tracks, UK sales, European track conversion sales or Soucy Buy Soucy - Tractors, Track Systems at Brocks Wheel & Tyre - Essex based importer I think.

Also whilst there are lots of pro's I understand that a bit of forestry brash caught in them can screw things up a bit. Whilst they work very well on muskeg terrain I think you have to be wary because a damaged track from a branch is a long walk when compared to a 'simple' puncture.

Double wheels from Independent Tyre and Wheel supplier and Honda Power Equipment Supplier | Fieldens

Last edited: