White red hind?

This hind was on its own and came over the crest of a hill towards us. The photo is heavily cropped, but what struck me was just how pale this hind is. It may have been a trick of the light, but she really looked as though she was white.

The stalker hasn't seen her before, but it will be interesting to see in September if he's caught sight of her again.

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Probably been bleached by the unseasonal Highland sun, looks a bit pink Dom so it may be just a trick of the light. Time will tell, come the back end we will find out for sure, if she is it will make finding the herd on the hill easier :D.

John

Where ? there are a few white and piebald Red deer in west Perthshire, have shot a piebald hind, and also seen a few others , had stag on my ground some years back which had a completely white head,

There was I believes pure white stag in Glen Artney at one time, the gene appears from time to time around this area , I should add they are white not albinos.

Where ? there are a few white and piebald Red deer in west Perthshire, have shot a piebald hind, and also seen a few others , had stag on my ground some years back which had a completely white head,

There was I believes pure white stag in Glen Artney at one time, the gene appears from time to time around this area , I should add they are white not albinos.
Sorry, should have said - Sutherland.

wallace grant

Could be she is ancient or just late in changing coat, i was out on an estate in sutherland 2 weeks ago and saw hinds that looked similar, all the stags i saw were in full summer coat.

Could be she is ancient or just late in changing coat, i was out on an estate in sutherland 2 weeks ago and saw hinds that looked similar, all the stags i saw were in full summer coat.
Indeed - she might well just be old. The roe were also still shedding the vestiges of their winter coats, so it could also be that.

She was too far away to verify, but it was her whiteness, and the fact that she was apparently on her own, that attracted my attention. We'll see if she turns up again in the next month or so.

lochty

Could be a white one. As Bogtrotter said, there are some piebald ones in Perthshire. I've shot a few white faced ones, strange looking things with generally pink noses and clear hooves, same colour as human finger nails. The stags never seem to grow to any great size, possibly due to genetics. We believe that they are throwbacks to deer that came from a park near Comrie, not too far from Glen Artney. There was a very pale hind a few years ago, but it disappeared and never got a chance of a closer look at her.

20-250

The partially white red deer in Perthshire are certainly well known, then. I saw a dead calf many years ago in Glen Almond with white lower legs. White faced hinds were seen most years. They were never shot on the estate I frequented, but had been in years gone by. I was told they were descendants of a few all white beasts which had been around in the 1800s.

lochty

I was out at hinds on Tuesday, and managed to shoot one of the white faced ones. This one had a distinct white stripe down the middle of it's face, and what are best described as black and white striped front hooves. I did manage to take some pictures, which I have tried to post, but as I used my expensive camera, the file size seems to be too big to upload. So if anyone has any ideas, let me know, and I'll share....
Dave

novice

I was out at hinds on Tuesday, and managed to shoot one of the white faced ones. This one had a distinct white stripe down the middle of it's face, and what are best described as black and white striped front hooves. I did manage to take some pictures, which I have tried to post, but as I used my expensive camera, the file size seems to be too big to upload. So if anyone has any ideas, let me know, and I'll share....
Dave
Traditionally known as a bald faced deer if I remember correctly. Would love to see the pictures.

Novice

Glevum

Tochty,

If you open the pictures in Windows Paint, there is a resize tool you can use to reduce the file size and then save them.

lochty

003.jpg 006.JPG Windows paint did the trick - thanks to whoever suggested it. The white stripe isn't particularly clear - some of the others have been much more pronounced with a pink nose as well. the hooves though, were very clear. The white bits are the colour of finger nails. She wasn't in great condition, around 5 or 6 years old with a very rough coat. Hope these are of interest, Dave

novice

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. How often do you see this in the population you stalk? Did she have a calf that wasn't showing the colouration?

Novice

lochty

The estate has a population of between 250 and 300 reds. Of those, there was one hind, one staggie and what looked like a yearling, so the proportion is quite small. She didn't have a calf with her.

novice

Nice to hear of other populations. I always remember the white stag that the warrener had on a couple of his vids.

Do you leave them?

Novice