300 Norma magnum

alberta boy

I make mine out of 300 WM. It's a little short but on a neck that long who notices?? Wonderful cartridge.~Muir
I'm currently without a 30 cal magnum . A good friend of mine , who is also a chronic rifle builder , has a 30/338 WM reamer . He keeps suggesting I build one on a Savage 110 action I have . Apparently , it was a 7mmRM at one time so the bolt face works . It came with a Richards Microfit blind mag ( I think I'm the only person I know that likes blind mags ) laminate stock . I was going to go with another 7mmRM barrel , but I got lazy and just bought a Savage chambered in it . More projects .

AB

magnificent 7

7 you have a Blaser what about the .300 Blaser mag?
Dickie I've ordered one with 300 barrel but it isn't here yet three months lead time by all.accounts and inwas warned that there 3 months can be 6 I'm quite happy with the win mag was just intrigued with the Norma and wanted to know more

Dickie

Dickie I've ordered one with 300 barrel but it isn't here yet three months lead time by all.accounts and inwas warned that there 3 months can be 6 I'm quite happy with the win mag was just intrigued with the Norma and wanted to know more
It was just an option you don’t hear much about like the Norma so just put it out there, I was told it could be 6 months last barrel I bought but it came quite a bit quicker it might even have been less than 3 I wasn’t in a rush either so no worries.

Edinburgh Rifles

Had a 300wm
Was fun

Have a 300nm
It’s funner!

Does more with less
300wm never really did what I wanted to in the format I had it in (22” sporter stock)
The 300nm is comically accurate and currently sits in the same Sako TRG chassis as my .338
Run a fast twist barrel to make the most of the 230gr range and it gets very close to doing to the .338 what the 6.5s are doing to the standards 30 cals.

I wanted something to deliver very high energy at 4-600
It’s does
At 500 I am developing the same energy as a .270 130gr at the muzzle

levigsp

Had a 300wm
Was fun

Have a 300nm
It’s funner!

Does more with less
300wm never really did what I wanted to in the format I had it in (22” sporter stock)
The 300nm is comically accurate and currently sits in the same Sako TRG chassis as my .338
Run a fast twist barrel to make the most of the 230gr range and it gets very close to doing to the .338 what the 6.5s are doing to the standards 30 cals.

It’s does
Whats the rifle? Very interested. I currently run a 375h&H Ai and I love it but interested in Nm.

levigsp

What performance advantage do you have with the 375 AI vs the old timer 375 H&H?
It is about 4-5% speed increase for lower pressure, eg get 3100fps 270gns, 2850 fps with a 300gn Partition , 300gn A-Frame 2850fps. the 350g Woodleigh PPs 2590 fps , from a 25" barrel and could be pushed further but accurate as they are and the 350s are the hammer of Thor on any dangerous game. The 270s reach out there and are suitable for most plains game and mountain game. I also have a 26" barrelled version but have not measured speed on it. Those speed are actual speed not miss measured.

alberta boy

It is about 4-5% speed increase for lower pressure, eg get 3100fps 270gns, 2850 fps with a 300gn Partition , 300gn A-Frame 2850fps. the 350g Woodleigh PPs 2590 fps , from a 25" barrel and could be pushed further but accurate as they are and the 350s are the hammer of Thor on any dangerous game. The 270s reach out there and are suitable for most plains game and mountain game. I also have a 26" barrelled version but have not measured speed on it. Those speed are actual speed not miss measured.
The 375 ( not 378 ) Weatherby , which is very similiar to yours , is still a popular round out here for the same reason , a really efficient cartridge . It will deal with the big and nasty very effectively .

AB

25 Sharps

Had a 300wm
Was fun

Have a 300nm
It’s funner!

Does more with less

It’s does
holy sh*t!!

Edinburgh Rifles

Whats it like recoil wise? compared with othe magnums?
Hard to compare in other rifle styles
300wm I had was a sporter stock. With a PES T12 it was fine . Little more shove than a .270 but still have all my teeth.
I have the TRG in .338LapMag also.
The LM definitely has more shove for a longer recoil pulse
Prone, this stock is exceptional at minimising felt recoil though
The 300nm with an SL7 is barely more noticeable than my .308 Tikka

levigsp

Hard to compare in other rifle styles
300wm I had was a sporter stock. With a PES T12 it was fine . Little more shove than a .270 but still have all my teeth.
I have the TRG in .338LapMag also.
The LM definitely has more shove for a longer recoil pulse
Prone, this stock is exceptional at minimising felt recoil though
The 300nm with an SL7 is barely more noticeable than my .308 Tikka
Thank you for the usefull info.

parabellum

Great round with better ballistics than a 338LM and with half the recoil. Mine does 2950fps with 230 grain Bergers hitting steel plates out to 2000m.

magnificent 7

Think I'll stick with the 300 win and 308 although possible the Norma has its benefits like my friend said the other day on the phone lose your ammo on a trip abroad you'll buy 300 win or 308 anywhere try getting 300 norma