7mm STW

N.F.W.M

I am pondering a new rifle, a 7mm STW.

Any members currently using THIS CALIBRE ?
If so what are you impressions?
I will most likely go down the custom/semi custom route so any advice on barrel lengths/velocities greatly received. I will be home loading so any powder/bullet suggestions would be useful.

Having just looked on Midway UK for brass.... Is there any available for less than the price of a small Caribbean Island ?

Regards

Ed

Ed,

As you no doubt know, It's been a relatively popular cartridge for the long-range benchrest crowd plus of course the 'across the canyon' shooters in the US. Loading information does exist on the net eg accuratereloading.com (always taken with caution of course). I used to shoot with someone who used it for 1000 yard benchrest comp's using 180 grain bullets & they seemed happy enough with it.

If the cost of brass is an issue you could try necking down the parent 8mm Rem Mag cases but by the time you've bought a suitable generic 'necking' die & got the cases plus used up some of the relatively limited life of the barrel in fire-forming the brass - the ready made stuff may look more attractive.

The Reminington Ultra Mag or Weatherby could be a slightly cheaper route to similar ballistics but if the STW holds a fascination for you (there's nothing wrong with that) then paying for the pleasure is part of the deal.

I don't know of anyone who uses this cartridge. Around here (Montana) guys who want a big Seven go to the 7mm Rem Mag. I haven't seen a factory rifle -or custom for that matter- on the rack in 7mmSTW for years. I think it's probably a decent cartridge but popularity drives survivability and I don't see this one hanging around very long.~Muir

I've had the STW , the Ultra Mag and the Rem Mag . Killed deer with them all and the only one I still have is the Rem Mag !

We have a custom built Interarms Mark X action on a laminated walnut and aluminum stock with a Douglas stainless 7mm-300 Weatherby barrel . I know the guy thats selling it and I know the guy that built it and I am sure the gun will shoot . However with a Remington 24x BR scope it weighs about 15 pounds . It was built for 1000 yard matches . Back when this gun was built in the mid to late 80's this cartridge and the 6.5mm-300 Weatherby were the pooh for 1000 yard shooters in Williamsport PA .

I am pondering a new rifle, a 7mm STW.

Any members currently using THIS CALIBRE ?
If so what are you impressions?
I will most likely go down the custom/semi custom route so any advice on barrel lengths/velocities greatly received. I will be home loading so any powder/bullet suggestions would be useful.

Having just looked on Midway UK for brass.... Is there any available for less than the price of a small Caribbean Island ?

Regards

Ed

Could always look at the .280 Ai as an option.

What are the pro's & con's of 280 Rem against 280 Rem AI assuming both would have to be custom barrel in UK?

Jonathan

The 280 AI costs more in dies, is most definitely a custom chamber, and will give marginal additional performance over the standard factory 280 chambering: which is an elegant cartridge with a case capacity that is just about perfect for the 7mm bore, and a case shape that feeds without problems from almost all rifles.~Muir

I'm currently playing with a Sako 75 stainless with a tuppaware stock and a Swarovski 8x56. I'm throwing 139 grain SST's at over 3300 fps with reloader 22 and its an awesome fire breathing dragon! If I fill the mag and someone else shoots it (without the muzzle break) they hand it back after 2 shots and say thanks but no thanks. It really sorts the men from the mice :D I must be a mouse as I now use it with a 3rd eye tactical muzzle break.

if it was going to be your only rifle I think you'd probably regret it after a few months and its an expensive toy to have and feed for a bit of a laugh!

I can't wait to see what it does to a fox.

Rick

Back