7X66 Real World Experience

Klenchblaize

Tried getting some info on this ‘interesting’ chambering by dragging up a new member 2013 introduction but that singularly failed.

So, what do you know about the various incarnations of this cartridge and does any SD member own and use it?

I’ve seen one for sale and am rather tempted as it’s a M66, albeit not a stutzen:
K

Prompted by this a fascinating article

Thanks for that. Highly informative with lots to consider, not least obtaining brass!

I liked several passages but this will no doubt divid SD opinion:

“It’s one of the most beautiful calibers ever created, if you were ever lucky enough to hold cartridge and gun in your hand you couldn’t fail to admire its elegance and perfect proportion, two disappeared concepts nowaday.”

K

Those Mauser 66 are very nice rifles. I know of a leather cased one that is available with two sets of barrels - one in 243 and one in 270win with zeiss scopes etc. and it has been sleeping doing very little for the last 25 years.

With the 7x66 Von Hoffe, the biggest challenge will be ammo, and to some extent its value is very much on whether or not there is ammo available with it.

Those Mauser 66 are very nice rifles. I know of a leather cased one that is available with two sets of barrels - one in 243 and one in 270win with zeiss scopes etc. and it has been sleeping doing very little for the last 25 years.

With the 7x66 Von Hoffe, the biggest challenge will be ammo, and to some extent its value is very much on whether or not there is ammo available with it.
My interest in the 66 is increasing by the day, albeit I would really like one in stutzen format which in standard (non engraved & carved) seem very rare.

Neither the 243 nor 270 appeals to me but I’d love to see pictures of that rifle if possible please.

K

When I was on the West, my boss had the Mauser 66 in Vom Hofe 7x66 SE as his rifle. The push through safety could be a bit sticky and it was fitted with a double set trigger, which isn't my thing. The rifle only held three below the telescopic two stage bolt.

Iain Milne, of Gray & Co in Inverness used to organise ammunition, which was loaded by Norma and came in packets of 10. White boxes with a light green sticker. 130 grain if I remember.

It was formidably accurate, very fast and very flat. The 10x Zeiss scope was demountable and set quite high, which didn't make it pleasant to shoot, but it was an interesting calibre. I shot quite a few deer with it and it always did what was required

Back