Adjustable cheek riser kit

Yes and to a CZ as well. However, it is also worth considering the length of pull as well. Get both sorted at the same time. On the CZ I used one of those elastic socks that go on the stock and you build the foam up to suit. Prior to that I used foam and tape as, imho, you don't need the stock to be adjustable, you need to get the fit correct and when you do you are unlikely to move it again.

I used a beaver neoprene comb raiser for a year or two but got got fed up with faffing about removing it when it got wet and made a wooden comb raiser using a bit of hardwood. It isn’t the best job but will do for now.

I made this for my stutzen a few weeks ago as a first go. I could have made it Better with a flush fit but this works for shooting and doesn’t look too bad

Attachments

• 8DCB06AA-915F-4D4B-A439-0CBBADA7A4C9.jpeg
    8DCB06AA-915F-4D4B-A439-0CBBADA7A4C9.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 119
  • B2410CA3-FA82-45EC-9745-1AE65F528C77.jpeg
    B2410CA3-FA82-45EC-9745-1AE65F528C77.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 128
I used a beaver neoprene comb raiser for a year or two but got got fed up with faffing about removing it when it got wet and made a wooden comb raiser using a bit of hardwood. It isn’t the best job but will do for now.

I made this for my stutzen a few weeks ago as a first go. I could have made it Better with a flush fit but this works for shooting and doesn’t look too bad
Hi Spannulman, how have you fixed that on?

Yes and to a CZ as well. However, it is also worth considering the length of pull as well. Get both sorted at the same time. On the CZ I used one of those elastic socks that go on the stock and you build the foam up to suit. Prior to that I used foam and tape as, imho, you don't need the stock to be adjustable, you need to get the fit correct and when you do you are unlikely to move it again.
Yes I would like to look at lop and height of the comb at the same time. I don't really need adjustable but get it right and leave it as you say. As Spannulman says I'm not sure about foam and covers and stuff as must be a faff when it gets wet hence I was thinking about cutting the stock and inserting some sort of system of pillars to raise it up.

I am. I was thinking of a shotgun style adjustable comb as it's quite a slim stock & all the adjustments are out of the way once it's set. It's worth checking the bolt removal situation with a raised comb.

I was struggling getting a good cheek weld on my CZ527 so I knocked up some brass collars to take 10mm bright finish rod on the lathe. I the cut and drilled the stock and inserted them with a bit of bedding compound. To recover the thickness of the bandsaw blade I applied a bit of veneer to the cut surface.

As an added bonus the (quite large) brass collars help to balance the gun correctly with a moderator on.

8C945A73-FB88-4257-8B8A-7A0239B2C583.jpeg8C945A73-FB88-4257-8B8A-7A0239B2C583.jpeg

Nice job, that's the sort of thing I had in mind. Unless you're lefthanded I'd have put the bolts on the other side though.

I’m a righty but for some reason I put them on that side. They don’t contact my face so I don’t notice fortunately.

That one looks great but i’ve read posts from people saying it catches on foliage etc when stalking. I fixed mine on with a hot glue gun after reading a post on a US gun forum. They said if you want to remove it again you just apply hot air and the glue softens. Once you are sure it is for you then use araldite or whatever for a permanent job.

I’ve had this on for a few outings and some zeroing and it hasn’t moved at all. The US chap said fitting was easy, you just tape coarse paper onto the comb and rub the block onto it, but his stock must have had the same width all along. Mine narrows towards the front of the comb and it took me ages to realise I would never get a flush fit at that end because I was rubbing it abck over the wider part. In the end it took some chiselling and rubbing down to get my best version.

If I get time I may remove it and make the fitting a bit better but it is close enough to use and is ok. I can’t put it any further forward because the bolt would foul it when removing, and so with hindsight wish I’d made it longer. I have more hardwood off it’s so may re-do it one day. The bear or beaver tooth neoprene job was ok to prove the concept but offended the eye on a wooden stock.

Mike the gunsmith at Neville’s in Alfreton does a lot of those comb riser conversions, I think some big names send their to him. And they aren’t a huge amount of money. I would have the guts to try that myself but the picture above looks like a great job.

That one looks great but i’ve read posts from people saying it catches on foliage etc when stalking. I fixed mine on with a hot glue gun after reading a post on a US gun forum. They said if you want to remove it again you just apply hot air and the glue softens. Once you are sure it is for you then use araldite or whatever for a permanent job.

I can't see why it would catch any more than a mod, scope, bolt handle or sling & they would all catch first. Certainly never been a problem on the shotgun with an adjustable comb I carry when I'm beating.

I am using a neoprene sock type, would love to get the job properly done as Andy-shooter has, but yet to find anyone nearby and competent.
The neoprene sock is certainly functional, but a shame to cover my CZ 527 stock, it isn't a bad piece of timber!

Back