Air rifle for 7 year olds.....

bicykillgaz

Hi,
We've just returned from the lake district where our 7 year old twins had an outdoor activity day. They loved it all but particularly the paintballing and air rifle shooting, so much so that we've decided to get them both a rifle for target shooting.

They struggled a bit with the length of the stock so I'm thinking about getting them both a ratcatcher to start with, or something similar.

Are there any other good starter air rifles for kids I should look at? They'll only be shooting targets at 10m-15m to start with but eventually they want to go ratting/squirrelling, although that'll not be till they're safe/competent.

What did other people start their kids on?

Regards

Gary

Fabnosh

Basically anything. With good guidance they will learn to use the gun and understand it’s foibles. Often the less than perfect hones a fine eye.

Just get them going on anything! The SMK is great starting point.

There are so few things as satisfying as bring on one of your kids.

FN

Cottis

As long as it is small enough for them to handle, it will be fine. Fun is the key rather than having them shoot drawing pins at 30yds.

I also would not bother with a rifle at that age that would be suitable for killing with. It is hard to find a small air rifle suitable for small children that is man enough or accurate enough to reliably kill pests.

I got my nephew a Stoeger Junior X3 Tac rifle in .177. It fits well, has short LOP and an auto safety that sets itself everytime the rifle is cocked. It is fairly easy to cock and the trigger pull is heavy, so shouldn't result in accidental trigger pulls. The trigger pull weight is also its only downpoint but it is manageable and certainly encourages good hold and technique.

I tasked my nephew with using the fairly decent iron sights on it to hit 3 tin cans in a row at 15yds with the promise that I would put a scope on it when he could demonstrate iron sight proficiency. Little sod went ahead and did it in short order, so I had to donate a scope to him.

At 25yds, you can shoot an inch group with it if you really concentrate and allow the little springer to come back to you on firing. It certainly made me concentrate when using it.

rooster

I bought a crosman 1377 pump up pistol and a ratcatcher stock, cut it to size and stuck a hawke red dot on for my 8 year old grandson, works a treat

Scapegoat

If the budget can withstand it how about a BSA Ultra Junior?

I know it's a PCP, but it's future proof to an extent. Designed with young people in mind it has a scaled down stock which can be swapped for the full size one when they're ready.

The .22 version is 6 ft lbs, but there is a 12 ft lb .177 version as well as a .177 6 ft lb version.

Also, I should think the 6 ft lb version could be re-tuned to full power.

Not exactly cheap to start with, but the Ultra barrels are superbly accurate

Northman_

Weihrauch HW30S... needs to be S at the end, because of the trigger!!
You won't get better trigger in air rifle unless you go up to match rifles.

I belive Weihrauch makes them for children, but guys in their 50-60s on air rifle forums are buying and using these because its so accurate and super easy to load and shoot.

bicykillgaz

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd love to be able to afford something like a hw100k and cut it down for them. Until I know its not going to be a passing phase I'd rather keep it cheap then upgrade later.

Certainly given me some food for thought though. Just need to find two identical set ups now.

Cheers

Gary

I belive Weihrauch makes them for children, but guys in their 50-60s on air rifle forums are buying and using these because its so accurate and super easy to load and shoot.
I'll second that... We bought an HW30s for my grandson when he was about 10. It's not the cheapest but a really superb little rifle, very accurate, excellent trigger and not so small that they will grow out of in in five minutes. Yes, quite commonly used for bell target shooting by grown-ups too and can be fitted with an aperture sight at a later date if required.
I believe a 7 year old would find the cocking a bit of a struggle to start with.

Colonel Rimfire

I'll 3rd that, probably one of the nicest junior rifles made,

They are staggeringly accurate because of its relatively low power at 6-7 ft/lbs. I put a set Anschutz peep sights on my HW30 for 10 meter air rifle and it can easily keep up with the PCP rifles and quite often beat them.

I'm thinking of getting a .22 version, for can rattling and informal target shooting as well.

It would be even less twangy.

In theory it should be even more accurate than the .177 version.

Fox Tales

I got my daughter the rabbit stopper . Adequate power , no finger traps and being bolt action easy to keep pointing in a safe direction .
Get them some eye protection , nothing scarier than a pellet coming back at them , low power or not .

Franchi Matt

I bought a crossman 2240 pistol, fitted the £9.99 shoulder stock, cheap Chinese red dot sight £15, my six year old loves it AND hes becoming a great little marksman, admittedly the red dot sight makes to hard to miss a target but for a child its great fun shooting cans at 30ft.

Rusty Gate

SMK ClassicB1Junior was what I started off my daughter with, aged 7.
Cheap and cheerful (£59.99), accurate, light, small. Ideal really.
Certainly gave my girl a good start, as others on here will testify.
Same here 👍

Cyres

Well having 5 kids gone through all this. Have the following:

Gammo Delta fox. Blaser copied the stock for their lightweight hunter!!

HW 30S absolutely excellent

Webley Excel

Air Arms S200

Gammo is so stylish and joy to use. HW 30 fantastic trigger. Excel better when they are bigger. S200 brilliant PCP.

Start with a springer with iron sights, then add scope then move to PCP. I have one of thoose 5 disc resetting targets very good. Used 12 bore cartridges very good as are tin cans and alike.

D

VSS

Don't get a PCP if you want them to learn to shoot properly. Although the recoil from a springer is slight, learning how to manage it and follow through their shots properly will stand them in good stead for the future.

harrygrey382

Any air rifle with the stock cut down for the correct length of pull is fine. Any air rifle worth its weight will need the stock cutting for a 7 y/o.

Barkingsnake

Hi,
We've just returned from the lake district where our 7 year old twins had an outdoor activity day. They loved it all but particularly the paintballing and air rifle shooting, so much so that we've decided to get them both a rifle for target shooting.

They struggled a bit with the length of the stock so I'm thinking about getting them both a ratcatcher to start with, or something similar.

Are there any other good starter air rifles for kids I should look at? They'll only be shooting targets at 10m-15m to start with but eventually they want to go ratting/squirrelling, although that'll not be till they're safe/competent.

What did other people start their kids on?

Regards

Gary
We've an HW30S that I bought a while back when out oldest was five and the little one four... They loved it, I still love it...
They've moved on to the 22-250 and 6.5x55 now...