All-terrain tyres

rhhudson

I'm looking at replacing my tyres for some all-terrain and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking either cooper at3 or general grabber at3.

It's going on an l200 mostly road use but occasional off-road nothing too heavy just fields

Thanks

deerstalker.308

After years of being a staunch BFG fan I just couldn’t swallow the cost this time. My hilux tyres would be £170 a pop. No chance. My work hilux has Bridgestone duellers AT3 fitted and they seem fine, so I’ve ordered a set of them which will be arriving this week. The price difference is eye watering, as they are only £80 a tyre. Sorry but BFG have gone mad on price. Unjustified in my humble opinion.

deerstalker.308

And as for lasting, yes they do, but the duellers my hilux has been on since new have now done 44k and are still legal, although the walls are looking worn hence replacing them this week

Samhuntvic

Had to replace the BFGs on the BT50 at only 55000km. The reason was that took 5 years to do that, the rubber was getting hard and would not stick on the made roads in the wet. Plenty of tread left but they were 5 years old and out of date. So what did I replace them with? BFGs the newest model of course. Excellent tyres. I had them on the previous truck and got 83,000km out of them.
Grant.

Finch

I went from Grabber ATs to Yokohama Geolanders last winter. I drive about 15K road miles a year and drive across fields all winter which I musn't chew up.

The Geolanders don't look very aggressive but they've been just as good as the Grabbers off road and they're marginally quieter on road with better wet under braking. (The Grabbers were lethal on wet or snowy roads). Fuel economy is the same. I'd probably buy them again if they wear well. Only about 10K miles in so far.

Uncle Norm

I am using Cooper AT3 on my L200 Warrior without any problems. Good on farm/forestry tracks, muddy fields, carcass recovery etc. The occasional longer journey of 200-300 miles on holiday too. Relatively low road noise from them. BFG have simply outpriced themselves for me.

monarman

Either cooper at or have a serious look at toyo open country at+....... both are excellent value and are capable in the sticky whilst lasting a long time on the road and also having good road manners.
I wouldn't touch if Goodrich now after having g the mud terrain on my work hilux.... too expensive and no better than the cheaper ones.....

Also look at maxxis worm drive....... another excellent option.

dartmoordog

Not even worth discussing, there is Goodrich BFG AT..........Then there is the rest.

If you want the best you will pay a little more, but they are worth every penny. Nothing else will ever go on my 4x4 vehicles.

Don’t try to talk me out of it........You will be speaking to the hand, :finger: :rofl:

dartmoordog

I have seen mention of Bridgestone Duellers........No, no, no! They are not an off road tyre, very, very biased to road use.

Had them from new on two of my previous L200s, deliberately scuffed them out as quick as I could, so I could get some BFG A/Ts on.

Even for field use, you need a tyre with quite an aggressive side wall, nothing comes close to BFGs. Don’t scrimp on decent AT tyres. Had two BFGs fitted on my Ranger last month, £260, worth every penny. It isn’t JUST about how long they last, although you should get 60K plus, it is about how they perform, and nothing, but nothing performs like BFGs. The new ones are even better.

rhhudson

I have read good things about the bfg ko2 but they are 40% more expensive on Top of the other brands. I can't justify paying that to be honest.
I was looking for somthing mid range maybe

Eric the Red

Cooper Zeon LTZ have done really well on the Disco - and I run Pirelli Scorpion ATR's on the RRV - these have been seriously impressive in mud and snow this last winter and are very well mannered on the road.