Anyone make their own purse/gate/long nets?

FrenchieBoy

Thank you all for your positive input. As I said I am not thinking of "making my fortune", all I would hope to do is to recover some or most of the costs of the materials used. My pleasure would be in having something constructive to fill my time and mind, especially through the long and dark winter months.

FrenchieBoy

Sorry to ask more (What might seem silly to some) questions. I have decided that I am definitely going to "take the plunge" and have a damned good go at net making. I have ordered some 8" netting needles (5 for £6.00). I have also made some spacer plates - 2 inch, 2 and 1/8th inch, 2 and a quarter inch and a 2 and a half inch - I made these out of an old perspex number plate with the edges rounded off and sanded. As I am on a tightish budget I have also ordered a pack of cheaper (But reasonable quality) 1" split rings to start off and when they arrive I plan on trying (Initially) a few 4 foot purse nets out of Twisted Jute just to get used to using the needles and tying the knots. I realise that twisted jute is not as good nor does it last as long as Spun Polyester but I have to start somewhere.
Once I am comfortable net making with the twisted jute I plan on starting to make 4 foot purse nets out of Spun Polyester and this is where the first question comes in - I am trying to keep the costs down so do any of the "more experienced" amongst you think that this would be a reasonable buy as a "starter" (8s SPUN POLY STRING TWINE HUGE 1.2KG SPOOL RABBITING FERRETING PURSE NETTING NET | eBay)
Or would I be better to go straight for something like this (FLUORESCENT YELLOW SPUN POLY TWINE PURSE NETS RABBITING FERRETING | eBay)
I would also be buying and using some good quality welded 1" net rings when I start with the Spun Polyester so as to do the job properly and (Hopefully) turn out some good quality purse nets that ferretters would be happy to use!
Also as a second question - What "diameter" of cord would be the best to use for Draw Strings please?