Back in the Game (warning - long and contains graphic descriptions of archery hunting)

LeftHandGuy

Great story, thanks for taking the time to write it! I remember meeting you in that pub in the City I think just before you left to relieve you of some surplus ammunition or powder. Anyway, that's a commendable display of perseverance and determination, reminds me of my wildfowling days, except that they didn't end in any real success. I take it your treestand didn't move, you were returning to the same productive spot every time?
Yes,The Harp behind St Martin in the Fields church IIRC. And thanks again BTW ‘cos we needed to liquidate everything we could!

And yes, since I saw multiple deer on day one I kept returning to the same tree. It is a portable stand though and I have packed it in and out on a couple of other hunting days. I’m using a hunting App called on-x ( which anyone hunting here should definitely get BTW) which helps a lot getting back to exactly the right tree/spot.

I have a tag for a different area though so I need to get in and get it set up before Boxing Day if I want to avoid setting it up on opening day again though....

BuckRogers

Really enjoyed the story, congratulations and thanks for sharing. I always find it strange that most US states have such short rifle seasons, you’d think it would lead to more accidents even with the mandatory hunters orange. People always say that the UK does not have the land available to support public access shooting. I wonder with all the forestry land and common land in the uk and longer seasons what the actual hunter density would be. Thanks again.

Bavarianbrit

Short rifle season = each state has a cull target and as all can get a hunting license/tag if they want to. So for example Michigans deer population 1 million their annual cull target 250,000 and with 750,000 hunters out there for the two week 15-30 November season they should achieve their cull target. Simple math really.

BuckRogers

Short rifle season = each state has a cull target and as all can get a hunting license/tag if they want to. So for example Michigans deer population 1 million their annual cull target 250,000 and with 750,000 hunters out there for the two week 15-30 November season they should achieve their cull target. Simple math really.
Of course, the adaptive harvest principle perfectly outlined. I just wonder why they don’t achieve the same thing with bag limits and spread the dates out a bit to reduce Hunter on hunter encounters. Btw I’m talking as someone with very limited knowledge and this is a genuine question.

alberta boy

Of course, the adaptive harvest principle perfectly outlined. I just wonder why they don’t achieve the same thing with bag limits and spread the dates out a bit to reduce Hunter on hunter encounters. Btw I’m talking as someone with very limited knowledge and this is a genuine question.
That's what we do here in certain areas . We use a staggered draw system in areas of high hunter/game numbers . We also have a mandatory hunt result reporting program that allows for a very precise account of game taken . It does give a very accurate idea of game harvested and where more , or less , tags need to be issued , it works quite well .

AB

LeftHandGuy

Really enjoyed the story, congratulations and thanks for sharing. I always find it strange that most US states have such short rifle seasons, you’d think it would lead to more accidents even with the mandatory hunters orange. People always say that the UK does not have the land available to support public access shooting. I wonder with all the forestry land and common land in the uk and longer seasons what the actual hunter density would be. Thanks again.
Glad you enjoyed it!

the short season really floored me at first, and I was very nostalgic for the UK, but I've acclimatized (in more ways than one LoL!) and the focus is just to try and maximize the total number of opportunities (hence the archery).....

LeftHandGuy

Oh to live in a country where hunting is still normal and sensible rules apply (mostly). Lovely write up, looking forward to the next installment.
There are good sides to it for sure!

The best thing is that it is an activity that you can participate in as a right, subject to following the rules (laws).

The worst thing is that the season structure means that everyone is forced to attempt to exercise their rights at the same time.

LeftHandGuy

Enjoyed the write up, just out of interest though, Do you have any links family wise to The Polish 1st Armored? (Your avatar)
Thanks. I used to. Not sure if the sites are still active. Will check and let you know. My Grandfather was the Brit RE LO to the Div CRE (take that acronym haters!) for the invasion of Normandy so it’s a tribute to him really. Much better than a selfie!

3.5mag

Great write up, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rather envious of your bow hunting opportunity, always been keen on archery ( have a few bows, compound and a recurve hunter).

LeftHandGuy

Great write up, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rather envious of your bow hunting opportunity, always been keen on archery ( have a few bows, compound and a recurve hunter).
Thanks!

Simple answer. When this bloody crisis is over, come over here and try it. It’s a hell of a lot easier traveling with archery equipment than firearms (although it’s not that bad traveling with firearms to the USA).

The archery seasons, unlike the rifle seasons are long and the weather is generally good. A non resident PA hunting license is not expensive and they will accept DSC1 as hunters ed’...

Bear1cat

Great write up.
I did enjoy reading that.
I am laughing thinking about trying to drive down the road here in the UK with a dead deer strapped to the outside of the car 😂😂
I have to say I like the idea of moving to the US or Canada, mostly for the hunting opportunities.
Looking forward to another write up 👍

3.5mag

Thanks!

Simple answer. When this bloody crisis is over, come over here and try it. It’s a hell of a lot easier traveling with archery equipment than firearms (although it’s not that bad traveling with firearms to the USA).

The archery seasons, unlike the rifle seasons are long and the weather is generally good. A non resident PA hunting license is not expensive and they will accept DSC1 as hunters ed’...
Been a dream for a long time.... Cancer & finances have buggered it up so far but one day 👍

LeftHandGuy

Been a dream for a long time.... Cancer & finances have buggered it up so far but one day 👍
Feel free to PM me any time if you want me to go over a breakdown of the costs and considerations for you. It can be done for a lot less money than you might think (at least here in PA, other states I cannot speak for).