Night Vision Store
HELP REQUIRED PLEASE

Hey all,

Thought this would be something interesting for the off-topic section.

Been a bass player very one and off for past few years, amateur rating I would put myself in.

Anywho, I have a GSR200 Ibanez gio soundgear 4 string active bass, it has 3 pickups and 4 pots plus the usual internals.

I have purchased an EMG - PJ pick-up kit to fit myself. This comes with 3 pickups, 3 pots and the relevent internals, as listed via any site that sells this kit... as follows:

IN THE BOX
PACKAGE INCLUDES EMG'S EXCLUSIVE SOLDERLESS INSTALL SYSTEM:

2 25K VOLUME POTS
1 25K TONE POT
1 BATTERY BUS
1 STEREO OUTPUT JACK
1 TWO PICKUP IN/OUT BUS
1 PAIR MOUNTING SCREWS
2 PICKUP CABLES
2 CONNECT CABLES
1 OUTPUT CABLE
1 BATTERY CABLE

Now.....

I have removed the original internals and have gone to fit the new kit. I'm usually good at replicating what I see on paper, instructions-wise. But EMG have a big issue on their hands.... this being there is a separate instructions for both J and P pickups but not PJ pick-ups...both different. To add to this problem, they only show 2 pickups in both sets of instructions.....next issue is online there is absolutely with PJ kit instructions for a 3 pickup PJ bass kit..... nothing and nothing on youtube, as if my kit does not exist.... its for sale but no instructions that relate. Looking at forums and old, other have had similar problems.....EMG havent produced these instructions still.

Can anyone technically minded maybe even just draw and label a diagram to show what is supposed to go where? Long shot but I am sure there will be some experienced musicians amounst us.

Thank you

Rob-E

I’ve worked on all my guitars.
Post up a pic what yours look like and I’ll see what I can do to help.

Since PJ pups don’t seem to exist is it possible you hav a p and a j and together they make PJ? Just a thought.

Rob-E

First result on google.

EMG PJ SET BLACK - Combining the EMG-P and a single EMG-LJ unit in a complete assembly, the EMG-PJ gives you improved flexibility for new dimensions of sound. The EMG-P has a full complement of low register power and The EMG-LJ provides a full midrange and extended high frequency response for a well defined attack. Used separately, or in combination, they offer a flexible selection of bass tones, accommodating both new and traditional bass playing styles. The result is pure capability; the capacity to produce everything from tight slap funk to smooth Motown groove, all with a sound that'll set you apart.

I would guess following the wiring of the 2 diagrams which won’t be too different from each other. One for the P and one for the J...

Thanks Rob, will be back from my other job at around 5ish, I will share some photo's then.

The other issue with the diagrams provided is that they don't display the 3rd pickup, the largest sized one or any wiring to do with it.

QUOTE="Rob-E, post: 1489001, member: 20323"]
First result on google.

EMG PJ SET BLACK - Combining the EMG-P and a single EMG-LJ unit in a complete assembly, the EMG-PJ gives you improved flexibility for new dimensions of sound. The EMG-P has a full complement of low register power and The EMG-LJ provides a full midrange and extended high frequency response for a well defined attack. Used separately, or in combination, they offer a flexible selection of bass tones, accommodating both new and traditional bass playing styles. The result is pure capability; the capacity to produce everything from tight slap funk to smooth Motown groove, all with a sound that'll set you apart.

I would guess following the wiring of the 2 diagrams which won’t be too different from each other. One for the P and one for the J...
[/QUOTE]

Rob-E

I’m mostly a strat player I have an SG as well.
On a strat you have 3 pups and 2 tone pots, you can wire a board up differently so your tone pop can control different pups depending what you the player wants from them.
What’s common is to have the Neck and bridge on their own pots with the middle pup taking a blend from the two.
From what I can see of the kit there’s no soldering involved so you should be able to experiment with what sounds right.
Look up a strat loom and it will give you an idea how the 3rd pup fits in, or look at what you have in your bass now.

Thank you for the links Rob, I have taken a look at them and I have glanced at them before. The problem is this still doesn't seem to be the same kit as the battery cable and battery bus aren't shown within that kit or the diagrams. That seems to be a EMG -PJ GZR version but this is just EMG - PJ.

I’m mostly a strat player I have an SG as well.
On a strat you have 3 pups and 2 tone pots, you can wire a board up differently so your tone pop can control different pups depending what you the player wants from them.
What’s common is to have the Neck and bridge on their own pots with the middle pup taking a blend from the two.
From what I can see of the kit there’s no soldering involved so you should be able to experiment with what sounds right.
Look up a strat loom and it will give you an idea how the 3rd pup fits in, or look at what you have in your bass now.

Thanks Rob, I will take a look when I get home