Best deer hunting knife

Rickysdaystate

What’s the best deer hunting knife?
What’s the best grind to use?
I have a nice bushcraft knife that’s a scandy grind drop point. Not sure how good it’ll be for deer, but thought it maybe ok?

Aye, there's all sorts... I've switched to using a SOG SEAL Pup, use on Muntjac and Roe and it works well for my needs. I can imagine it will be fine with the bigger species as well.
I went through using Mora then a Swingblade - both were fine, but I got fed up with the flex of the Mora and fed up with the cleaning regime needed for the Swingblade.

everyone to their own, as said previously, your 1st choice should be for species, a long and deep blade may be over the top for the smaller species, but spot on for reds and fallow etc, get the blade that suits the species and what you like to use and enjoy using

grind - I prefer flat grind, 2 reasons the grind is a very very sharp grind anyway and it’s the only grind I can work to keep it very sharp myself, some say flat grind don’t last long, I find it does, but for me at least I can keep it razor sharp and mainly by a decent wash and brush up and a strop up it’s always ready and good to go

The knife you have sounds fine, unless you have a particular reason why you think it isn’t ideal?

If you’re looking for another knife then there will be numerous criteria in determining what the best hunting knife is for you - such as the deer species you’ll be hunting, folder vs fixed blade, stainless vs carbon, custom vs off-the-shelf, etc.

The choice with knives is endless.

For example I can vouch for the fact that these are excellent:

But then so is this:

Sadly there are then millions more knife models in between, so we’ll ideally need a bit more info to help you select the best hunting knife for you.

The knife you have sounds fine, unless you have a particular reason why you think it isn’t ideal?

If you’re looking for another knife then there will be numerous criteria in determining what the best hunting knife is for you - such as the deer species you’ll be hunting, folder vs fixed blade, stainless vs carbon, custom vs off-the-shelf, etc.

The choice with knives is endless.

For example I can vouch for the fact that these are excellent:

But then so is this:

Sadly there are then millions more knife models in between, so we’ll ideally need a bit more info to help you select the best hunting knife for you.

Mine is pretty much the exact same design as that Alan wood knife. Just in different steel

Size, form, scale grip and a decent steel that won‘t fold over on the first contact with bone but flexible and soft enough to sharpen easily, e.g. 440 C.
Within the above there‘s a million choices.

Back