Best magnification scope for driven boar in Turkey

Lace1978

Looking for some experienced advise I am going driven boar shooting in Turkey next year and don't know what sort of scope to put on top ?

jb1

I've used a Z4i 3-12x50 red dot up to max with good results, but then went to a Z6i 1.7 - 10 x 42 with BT that covers all my shooting from driven to stalking.

Sash

As low as possible, and with a red dot/“doughnut’.
You need maximum field of view, and something that is very easy to acquire the right sight picture.
What are you mounting it on?

Lace1978

7mm rem mag I was going to use a 2.5-10×56 but wasn't sure if that was low enough mag for close stuff

Lateral

Hmmm, you'll always get differing opinions, often based on they type of driven hunting people have done, and their experience.

On a driven hunt, you could be shooting sub 10yds, or out to well in excess of 100yds, but most will be 15-50yds.

I have several sights I can use for driven, an Aimpoint H34L, Z6i 1-6x24, and a Z8i 1.7-13.3x42, and I often use a side by side double, without any sights, if I know the pegs will be really tight. I can only say from my own personal experience, unless you are very experienced, it's very easy to miss, even with a 1.7mag, unless you see, or hear the boar coming. If it suddenly runs across a ride, or close, you just won't get your gun up, acquire the target, and shoot.

I shot Turkey for the first time this season. Most of the shooting was 5-50yds, but on the last day, my peg was on one side of a valley, and I shot one boar at circa 150, and another at circa 200yds, one moving very slowly, and the other static. I would suggest speaking to the organiser, and asking what sort of terrain the hunt is on.

One suggestion, and it's what I've been doing lately, get an Aimpoint, or similar, on a QD mount, and have your scope on a QD mount, carry both, and swap according to the peg ! Cheap alternative

Last edited:

Lace1978

Sound like a different scope may suit me a bit better I have never been or shot driven boar so I want to give myself the best chance possible

DEER STALKER

Each stand differs so its a good idea to have a zoom. I use a 1.25 x 4 with red dot and find myself adjusting depending on how far I can see and anticipate taking the shot

Lateral

One thing to note, when shooting free hand, changing the magnification, changes the perceived lead. You will also find that the higher the mag, the harder it is to keep the reticle steady.

Boar are also relatively big targets, so you don't need high mag anyway.

topscots1

Been looking at the vortex and the hawk !
This is my first trip so if I get the bug I will then spend more
I used a sig tango 1/6x 24 for my first boar trip, purely because it was available st a good price.. It was more than up to the task.

jer

For boar at close range you will be disadvantaged with any more than 1 x magnification and over distances of more than 75 mt you will need more mag, a 1-6 or 1-8 illuminated reticle will be very suitable for just about anything you will encounter. If you can get some practice on a running boar range it will be very helpful and a good instructor will get you on target with the correct technique. Aim points are the best for short range but it sounds like you might be up in the mountains where you could be shooting over a wide range of distances so you need to have all options covered.

Lateral

Contrasting pegs/shots.

Typical peg from the area I shoot in Portugal. Very narrow track, just heard something move in the cover. Boar about 1.5m from me, launched so fast, first shot hit the rear quarter, second took it down. Chapuis 9.3x74 side by side. Geco 255gn.

Portugal Close peg, Double Rifle no sight

First time in Turkey. Long walk to peg, which was a rock outcrop on the side of the valley. When I saw where I would be shooting, it was pretty daunting. I'm used to close shooting, and I think the closest shot would be circa 100m.
Blaser R8 9.3x62, Swarovski Z8i 1.7-13.3x42. Geco 255gn. Set at circa 4x mag. I tried higher at first, but couldn't hold it steady. I should say, no, I can't see the boar in the in the video either :doh:

Turkey long shot

So, normal stalking scopes can be really hard work, a ruin a trip.

Last edited:

tusker

I have used 1.5-4 x 20 in the past worked very well for me , you need as much field of view as possible. The next time I go I will probably use my 4x32 leupold.
Tusker

Jagare

I bought a S&B Exos 1-8x24 FD for my double. I was shooting driven fallow a week ago and had it set on 2x with range varying between 20 and 50 mtrs. I've got used to shooting with both eyes open up to 4x magnification. Being able to shoot with both eyes open is a must on driven hunts.

Howzat

I have used a Vortex strike eagle with a illuminated Halo type reticule to good effect, currently using a Zeiss 1.5x6x42 for stalking deer and driven Boar.

scrumbag

What kind of mounts have you got buddy? Are they Weaver or Picatinny options it might be worth considering a red dot?

You can get the reflex type that mount on a single bridge. (Eg Burris Fastire)

1579627141693.png

You can get 2 kinds of Aimpoint:

Small sights like the H2 and Acro again on a single base

1579627245155.png

or you can get Aimpoints that are a tube type eg 9000L

1579627537095.png

Which you mount like a conventional scope.

The red dots are good for driven boar and a fairly high end one can be had for the cost of a mid range 1-6x24 scope. If you use the tube type you just need 30mm mounts which you might have.

By the way, if you put your 2.5-10x56 and your Red dot in QDs, check if they hold zero being switched you have a rifle for driven boar in the day and something to sit up in a high seat as well.

Scrummy