best moments of Olympics

tusker

Here we go chaps. What is the best medal moment for you that has happened in the Olympics. Just so many for me to list but Nick Skeltons gold in the show jumping is pretty special.
Tusker

Jason Kenny in the Keirin managed to hold his nerve while officials tried to decide who if anyone should be disqualified because of an infringement on the pace bike TWICE !! very cool customer

rigboot

Here we go chaps. What is the best medal moment for you that has happened in the Olympics. Just so many for me to list but Nick Skeltons gold in the show jumping is pretty special.
Tusker
Have to agree, fantastic to see them both taking the gold.
Big Star is a beauty

However, its fantastic to see them all doing so well, fingers crossed for some more medals!

basil

Distinguished Member
Has to be Usain Bolt and his `triple triple` .. probably never see that feat again.
Of the Brits it has got to be Nick Skelton. An amazing achievement at 58 years of age.

parkyboy

Charlotte Dujardin and her horse valegro winning gold in the dressage....what a spectacle to watch...the horse knew exactly what to do and when...at one point he was stepping in time with the music...truly awesome...Hugh.

paul k

Of the non Brits Usain Bolt obviously but also the Georgian guy who won the 105+kg weightlifting. He was up against the defending champion a 27 stone Iranian. For those that don't know the competition is decided by combining the weights lifted in two lifts, the snatch (one movement) and clean and jerk (two movements) with three attempt allowed for each lift. In the snatch on his 3rd lift the Georgian lifted a WR 215kg, the Iranian then added a kilo for his 3rd lift and another WR. Then on to the clean and jerk.

With just the two aforementioned left in the competition the Iranian failed on his 3rd attempt at 257kg but actually got a unanimous clean lift from the judges correctly overruled a few minutes later by the video ref because he didn't lock his elbows first time. He was mightily peed off, went back out to remonstrate but with out success. The Georgian had failed twice at 257kg and went back on stage for the last lift of the competition and instead of complete silence the Iranians in the crowd started booing, he gestured to them, stuck another 1kg on the bar and lifted it whilst pulling faces at the Iranians for a new WR total of 473kg for the combined lifts. Just to put that into pounds and ounces he put 570lbs (40 stone) over his head!

For the Brits, so many outstanding performances to choose from but as a former international eights rower I'd have to go for the men's eight. It's the perfect team sport, each crew member goes way past their limits but can't give up for fear of letting down the other seven in the crew as each blade has to hit the water at exactly the same time and, if not pulled with maximum effort, would come out late. You go from peak fitness to not being able to climb out of the boat in just under 6 minutes.

Last edited:
So far for me the best bit has been Pat Hickey's arrest (like the FIFA corruption, confirms what I believe about people from minor countries acting as officials of international "sport"). I look forward to the closing ceremony, though I won't bother watching it.

paul k

Charlotte Dujardin and her horse valegro winning gold in the dressage....what a spectacle to watch...the horse knew exactly what to do and when...at one point he was stepping in time with the music...truly awesome...Hugh.
It's apparently worth £6m!

parkyboy

It's apparently worth £6m!
I can see why after all the years of winning events and medals etc...worth every penny...will make a great stud when he is retired....I'd urge everyone who didn't see it to find the clip on YouTube and sit back and be amazed... Charlotte is in tears at the end as she knows it was a great gold winning routine...Hugh.

stubear

For me it was Liam Heath winning gold in the K1 sprint kayak - Absolutely stunning performance!

I'm possibly biased because he's a mate and is married to one of my best friends but I know how hard he's worked for this and it's great to see it all pay off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goingback

I can see why after all the years of winning events and medals etc...worth every penny...will make a great stud when he is retired....I'd urge everyone who didn't see it to find the clip on YouTube and sit back and be amazed... Charlotte is in tears at the end as she knows it was a great gold winning routine...Hugh.
He won't have much success at stud...........

VALEGRO
AKA: BLUEBERRY
OWNER/S: ROWENA LUARD, ANNE BARROTT AND CARL HESTER
SEX: GELDING
HEIGHT: 16.2hh
COLOUR: BAY
SIRE: NEGRO
DAM SIRE: GERSHWIN

Cadex

The best bit for me will be when the damn games are over.. .. sick of turning on the TV and all you hear about is medal tables and semi naked men jumping off the high board.