Blaser carbon shooting sticks

Great when youbare set up on them ..tracking left to right etc .. bit of a rattle to carry, but dont whistle lile my viper flex and also a bit fiddly to set up and get to the right height also back two legs supposed to clip into but at the top when carrying but always seem to pop out
Thanks! Is it the handle or the removable U-shaped rifle rest that rattles? Is it possible to fix it somehow?

I had a look at set that a friend brought back from the shooting show. Generally I am a fan of blaser, except their customer service, However, I really wasnt impressed with these sticks at all. Price wise they are there or there abouts in comparison with other sticks / carbons stick out there, But they rattled a lot when carrying them, they are clumsy to unfold, and when ( not if ) you loose the front rest or spigot from the handle, you cannot buy any spare parts for it. Im sticking to my viper flex and I'm quite surprised that blaser have actually put their name on these
I totally agree

Anyone who has put the Blaser sticks to practice in real hunting situations and can provide some feedback? I am particularly interested in whether they are quiet upon handling and carrying and offer enough stability at long range. GDMorgan wrote initially in the thread that “they rattled a lot when carrying them”. Any thoughts?

I haven't found them rattle a lot...certainly no more than my Limulus sticks. If you knock them against something the volume is much the same. I haven't used them stalking deer yet but have been out on patrol a dozen times or more after dark.

I managed to set them up within 27 metres ( I have just paced it out) of a rabbit without disturbing it (apart from with the 22LR) on the first day out with them.

The noisiest part was the creak between the rubber clad yokes and the wooden stock of the Finnfire...I haven't resolved that yet...maybe more oil or wax on the stock...or talc on the yokes.

Great when you are set up on them ..tracking left to right etc .. bit of a rattle to carry, but dont whistle lile my viper flex and also a bit fiddly to set up and get to the right height also back two legs supposed to clip into but at the top when carrying but always seem to pop out

I found that the popping out was a matter of getting the relationship correct between the length of the front and the back pair...there is an optimum area where the clip is positive and the legs are not in tension so the tips stay together which also helps prevents any castanet effect.

Alan

Somewhere around there on mine...
IMG_8236.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks, but useless if you want to travel with them. Maybe they'll bring out a "journey" version !

They fit in at full length in any of my wagons when I travel...they can be made shorter when collapsed than any of my wooden sticks which are obviously always at full length.

I don't envisage having to collapse them having set them up now.

But at their collapsed length of 1175mm (46") OAL would they not fit into a rifle case if you are meaning travelling by public transport?

Alan

Last edited:
Hmmmph. Having shortened them to measure them in their collapsed state for previous post... When I extended them back up I didn't manage to get them back to where they had been, and found that the locating lug on the tips was rattling on the face and edges of the corresponding socket which it hadn’t been before :( nearest I could get to my earlier setting was with a twist to take the faces out of line... so a choice of either cutting the (functionless) lug off or squirting a bit of silicon into the socket ... but discovered that 30mm of mountain bike inner tube does a perfect job. Very difficult to get them to make any noise at all now.

If the inner tube bands don't stand up to use I will cut the lug off and glue a bit of rubber on the face.

Alan

89DEF1C0-2EF7-4411-B920-212FEBFE6793.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: A J
Anyone who has put the Blaser sticks to practice in real hunting situations and can provide some feedback? I am particularly interested in whether they are quiet upon handling and carrying and offer enough stability at long range. GDMorgan wrote initially in the thread that “they rattled a lot when carrying them”. Any thoughts?
Have been using mine since the shooting show, and I probably go on 2-3 outings per week. They're great, but there are also flaws.
Pros
  • Fits into the Blaser bipod hole
  • Perfect for panning
  • Lightweight
  • Compact
  • Very stable with a perfect amount of flex
  • Give's huge confidence over longer range shots
Cons
  • Noisey at points (needs cloth tape adding)
  • Stretchy elastic to hold them together came off on first outing never to be seen again
  • 308 and 300win calibers jumps off the front pin rest....blaser say that's because these calibers are punchy
  • Under full height the front and rear rest opens far far too much.
  • When compact too large for kneeling shots
  • The rubber grips to adjust height can rub on other leg poles and work slightly loose, then when you deploy the sticks one of the legs drops!
All in these are definitely a mark1 version, worth the money however as there's nothing better. I'd love to have some of these flaws fixed and trial a version 2

IMG_3853.jpegIMG_3855.jpegIMG_3854.jpeg

So, the Blaser sticks do not have rubber ferrules on the end? :confused:

The ones that I looked at had a metal point on the bottom if I remember correctly. When I previously mentioned about the rattle it was mainly between the blocks that attach the 2 pairs of legs at the bottom, Ive just seen on a post above that someone has added some rubber to stop this. They also kept popping out of the holder at the top which was causing a rattle.

They fit in at full length in any of my wagons when I travel...they can be made shorter when collapsed than any of my wooden sticks which are obviously always at full length.

I don't envisage having to collapse them having set them up now.

But at their collapsed length of 1175mm (46") OAL would they not fit into a rifle case if you are meaning travelling by public transport?

Alan

Alan,

A quick revision. Substitute "travel", with "fly" ;)

The journey will fit into my Peli Storm 3100, length 927mm internal iirc, and also a soft grip I normally travel with.

Alan,

A quick revision. Substitute "travel", with "fly" ;)

The journey will fit into my Peli Storm 3100, length 927mm internal iirc, and also a soft grip I normally travel with.

I appreciate that once you have something that works for your circumstances it is almost impossible to go back, but what did you do when flying before the Journey sticks were on the market?

I would look to a set of the Blaser's for everyday use with their excellent tracking advantage, and just keep the Journeys for journeys where their take down aspect comes into its own.

Alan

I appreciate that once you have something that works for your circumstances it is almost impossible to go back, but what did you do when flying before the Journey sticks were on the market?

I would look to a set of the Blaser's for everyday use with their excellent tracking advantage, and just keep the Journeys for journeys where their take down aspect comes into its own.

Alan
How much can you ‘track’ at 100m?

How much can you ‘track’ at 100m?

It obviously depends how far apart you have the legs set on the rifle stock...the closer together the wider the tracking distance...

The offset of yoke to pivot is around 50mm, so from extreme left to right you have 100mm. With the yokes 1000mm apart tracking would be 10 metres. With the yokes 500mm apart on the rifle it would be 20metres @100m. Yoke distance is around 500mm on the rifles I have used with them...Daystate XLR, Airarms S410 FAC Extra, R8 Pro Success and Finnfire P94s.

But it is the control of the tracking rather than distance I find is the important thing...I have only needed to use a metre or two of the available, which has meant I have not had to reposition the legs of the sticks.

The two advantages of the revolving front piece over the flat support of the Viper type I think, is that tracking is done with no change of grip or hold on either rifle or quad stick rest, and the rifle is less easily canted.

I have the sling gripped between fore and middle finger under constant tension, and with no change of grip can track with just a slight wrist movement.

You can coarse track by taking the weight off one leg and pivoting it on the other, just like any other quad sticks. With the Blaser sticks, again you can control this with your forward hand without having to alter your grip...but it is the fine windage tuning that is such an advantage over the others.

With other sticks I did find it a temptation to cant the rifle to make the slight windage adjustments. With Vee stick tops that meant some stress being applied to the stock which is fighting with the natural point of aim.

Alan

Last edited:

Alan

Oh, that's easy, I bought the Journey for my first SA trip, all of my other trips are for driven boar :thumb:

Quite dissappointed with them, they do not fold down enough to fit in a large bag, and the fastener on the legs keeps coming undone whilst out and About having the sticks collapse in the vital moment......

Quite dissappointed with them, they do not fold down enough to fit in a large bag, and the fastener on the legs keeps coming undone whilst out and About having the sticks collapse in the vital moment......

They were never designed to fit into a duffle bag, but as for the legs either it's a setup issue or a fault. If it's a fault with the tensioner then you should get them replaced.

Back