Blaze publishing - insolvency

243 Stalker

Found this statement below on the Internet, does anyone know if this will mean the end for a certain magazine.

Statement from the Board of Blaze Publishing Limited

Please be aware that, regretfully, the Board of Blaze Publishing Limited started the process to put the company into formal insolvency.

ATB 243 Stalker.

I. Farticus

Same post on the "Game Fair CANCELLED" thread:

Blaze Publishing was acquired by Future PLC in May, and have not paid a number of their contributing journalists recently ("allegedly", to cover my *rse legally, but I have this directly from one of them...).

It looks like the Air Gun Shooter will fold, but I've not seen any news on Sporting Rifle just yet.

Seems like a pretty standard acquisition where you bin the least profitable assets. It could be that Future bins ALL shooting assets, and focuses on the music side and the Game Fair was another thing that they saw no profitable return on.

nicowilson

The RNS* for the acquisition of Blaze by Future refers to an option on the UK Game Fair and would "complement the growth of Future's new shooting vertical" so there does seem to be some intention to keep at least some of shooting assets.

Here's the RNS in full:

Future plc

Acquisition of Blaze adds new shooting vertical and music events

Future plc (LSE: FUTR, "the Group"), the international media group and leading digital business, has acquired, for an undisclosed sum, the assets of Blaze Publishing ("Blaze").

Blaze is a UK-based publisher and event organiser, which focuses on the shooting and music sectors through a combination of events, consumer magazines, trade publications and contract publishing.

The acquisition adds shooting as a new content vertical, broadens Future's leading music events and publishing portfolio, further diversifying the Group's revenue streams.

Blaze owns the established music events The London Drum Show and The London Bass Guitar Show in addition to music magazines Acoustic, Bass Guitar, Drummer and iDrum.

Blaze's shooting titles, a new vertical for Future, include Sporting Rifle, Clay Shooting, Airgun Shooter, Bow International, Gun Trade News and iShoot.

The Group has also taken an option in the newly launched UK Game Fair (UK Game Fair) which will complement the growth of Future's new shooting vertical.

The company employs some 35 staff and is based in Leamington Spa.

Zillah Byng-Thorne, Chief Executive said:

"Blaze adds another complementary vertical as well as strengthens our events capabilities.

"The acquisition is part of our strategy to diversify our revenues, increase our scale and improve operational efficiency by acquiring complementary brands in our Magazine division."

Here's the link to the RNS: http://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/FUTR/12811152.html

* RNS is the official news service of the Stock Exchange where official announcements from listed companies are published. They should be released at 7am each day before the Exchange opens.

I. Farticus

The RNS* for the acquisition of Blaze by Future refers to an option on the UK Game Fair and would "complement the growth of Future's new shooting vertical" so there does seem to be some intention to keep at least some of shooting assets.
Nico, considering how they have treated the ticket holders of said UK Game Fair, I hold out no hope for anything at the moment... It was cancelled in the last 10 days, and unless a ticket holder can get to Ragley Hall, they are now out of pocket with no compensation for non-refundable hotel rooms. Disgraceful behaviour.

Jezza308

As an 'out of pocket' stalker who could not get to Ragley Hall, I am down by £64 paid by cheque so the bank now tell me there is no financial protection. Wish I had used a card! Anyone know if its possible, or how to, get on the list of creditors and hopefully get a bit of it back? Yeh, I know, big hope, probably no chance. :cry:

stubear

I believe it was Malc, yes.

They also put out The Shooting Show on YouTube and Mr Carr presents that. I didnt subscribe to the magazines but I do quite enjoy TSS on a Monday night.

It'll be a shame if Future scrap all the shooting magazines - The antis will have got their magazine ban anyway!

I'll have to have a look at whether or not I can subscribe to Sporting Rifle now then. It would be a shame for it to fold and hopefully that'll do some small part to help keep it afloat.

jimmy milnes

It's a real shame as that will mean unemployment for some but I haven't watched the tube channel prog or bought one of the mags for a very long time simply because there was never a bad review on anything and loads of advertising banners everywhere on the programme along with things like

I lifted my swarovski 8x42 rangefinder binoculars up and spied the deer at 112 yards so I raised my tikka t3 in 308 caliber and placed the crosshairs of my z6i onto the neck of the deer and squeezedthe trigger,

I won't carry on and tell you the brand of knife used or roe sack used but I know everyone will understand where I'm coming from

Like I say shame folk may loose their job but I can't miss what I didn't use

stubear

It's a real shame as that will mean unemployment for some but I haven't watched the tube channel prog or bought one of the mags for a very long time simply because there was never a bad review on anything and loads of advertising banners everywhere on the programme along with things like

I lifted my swarovski 8x42 rangefinder binoculars up and spied the deer at 112 yards so I raised my tikka t3 in 308 caliber and placed the crosshairs of my z6i onto the neck of the deer and squeezedthe trigger,

I won't carry on and tell you the brand of knife used or roe sack used but I know everyone will understand where I'm coming from

Like I say shame folk may loose their job but I can't miss what I didn't use
I know what you mean about the sales schtick, though I guess this is always going to be the problem with any magazine or YT channel that does kit review. I've found it with guitar channels as well (that being my other hobby), and never a bad review on 99% of those - Generally this is because they just avoid the bad stuff and only review what they know they can be positive about.

If you're a content publisher that regularly knocks the products it reviews then no one wants to offer them kit to review and they fold. Plus if you recommend garbage and people buy it then you might keep the kit makers but no one watches your stuff because you 10/10 everything you get your hands on.

Markfox

So will the shooting show still carry on or will that be it no more ?

As Peter Carr still seems quite active in what he does

LuckyEddie

So will the shooting show still carry on or will that be it no more ?

As Peter Carr still seems quite active in what he does
He's now editor of iShoot - wonder how long that will last?

I no longer buy "up market" rifle magazines as they seem to have become domain of a select few with no limit to their funds.
For those of us with severely limited funds, with no prospect of even dreaming to be able to afford the most expensive kit let alone new kit - it ain't much fun being told time after time "this kit is superb and only costs £xxxx".
Well that £xxxx is way too much and is totally disheartening when you read it time after time after time.

I do buy on a regular basis The Shooting Times and either the Sporting Shooter or Sporting Gun depending on which has the most articles that take my fancy and which is better suited to my purse - limited as it is.

Pine Marten

I've found myself buying the super-glossy and quite ridiculous Fieldsports a few times in the past year. About half of it is ridiculous stuff like "Top ten affordable shotguns" where affordable means under £10,000, but it's a nice shiny bit of escapism. Some of it grates but I ignore it.

McKenzie

I've found myself buying the super-glossy and quite ridiculous Fieldsports a few times in the past year. About half of it is ridiculous stuff like "Top ten affordable shotguns" where affordable means under £10,000, but it's a nice shiny bit of escapism. Some of it grates but I ignore it.
Agreed, but it is nice to see something with high production values & that uses good photography. I even subscribed (essential business cost, of course).

McKenzie

It was the days high pheasant shooting in Yorkshire, 500 cartridges & a tailor-fitted tweed suit that had me reaching for the credit card details. Well, it's designed to be aspirational isn't it?

rodp

Blaze Publishing is now in liquidation.

The "Statement of Affairs" on the Companies House website makes interesting reading.

740k underpaid wages for one person :eek: So just how much was he paid if that's just the underpaid amount ? 60 odd k for another ? Some very large salaries going on there for a struggling company ??

Perhaps I'm just jealous :D