Blunt knives

td

I've got a couple of knives I just can't get a razor edge on them ,one is a frost the other a mora I've tried most things to no effect any ideas or do I just bin them thanks Trevor

I had a frost knife I couldn't get an edge on but solved the problem with a Spyderco sharpening system. This allows you to sharpen the edge at two different degrees which basically allows you to reshape the edge then bring it back to its original shape which solved the problem.

Calum

i have a scrapivore that i could just not get an edge on, so i wound up buying a worksharp (ken onion version) it has put a fantastic edge on, which it holds very well. I then had everyone at work bringing me their knives for a lick up

I use a Lansky and can 100% guarantee that I could sharpen them! No idea where you live as you don't show a location, however, if you live anywhere near Stowmarket in Suffolk I would be happy to sharpen them for you. Sadly posting wouldn't be worth it!

I use a Lansky and can 100% guarantee that I could sharpen them! No idea where you live as you don't show a location, however, if you live anywhere near Stowmarket in Suffolk I would be happy to sharpen them for you. Sadly posting wouldn't be worth it!
Thanks for the offer however I was looking for advice to sharpenen them myself . Looking at the cost of the sharpeners it would be cheaper to bin them .

I've got a couple of knives I just can't get a razor edge on them ,one is a frost the other a mora I've tried most things to no effect any ideas or do I just bin them thanks Trevor

I've Just had same problem today, I spat the dummy with my Mora clipper stainless this afternoon as it wouldnt cut at all, not helped by the fact I was getting swarmed by nasty beasties. It felt sharp to the touch, but it just wouldn't cut. Its only been used a handful of times but obviously doesn't like the way I sharpen it. This is my second clipper, the previous carbon blade one seemed to hold a better edge, but looked worse for wear after a while so I opted for the stainless.

Why do you need them razor sharp? Is sharp not good enough?

Where are you based ? Getting them sharp should be not too much of a problem keeping them sharp though is a bit of a art.
I would have a go at rubbing them at least you would know if you knives are no good or you need to work on your knife sharpening technique.

Where are you based ? Getting them sharp should be not too much of a problem keeping them sharp though is a bit of a art.
I would have a go at rubbing them at least you would know if you knives are no good or you need to work on your knife sharpening technique.
iam in stoke I gave a joiner who I worked with a load of pigeons last weekend ,he said in return he would sharpen a couple of knives he tried to sharpen them on a grinding wheel and made a total mess of them , like I said not expensive knives to tight to throw away.

They are produced to be binned. Cheap and cheerful. Bin em, and buy the same again or buy quality.
Tusker

All you need to do is take the bur off the knife edge it's not rocket science. I also touch mine up on very fine sand paper just slide the blade left to right very gently.

I've used blade tech oil stone diamond I've spent so much time trying to sharpen them it will be cheaper to bin them

I have a couple of Mora knives which take a good edge with a diamond file and an old cut throat razor strop. They seem to hold the edge okay, or as least as well as I would expect. I tend to keep one for soft tissue and the other for doing the legs.

But I do give them a sharpen whether they need it or not if you see what I mean. If you can see a line of light along the edge there isn't and edge. The line of light is either a burr or blunted facet. The edge should comprise two planes coming together.

The sharpening should be minimal time unless you either leave it too long between sharpening or try and cut bone with it. With a Mora sharpening is just a few passes of the stone maintaining the angle of the original grind.

Alan

Back