Cold Room Design

SikaHunter

Hi Guys

Hopefully this is in the right section. I am looking to construct a small cold room for a few deer. I am thinking of something around 3 ft square by about 5/6 ft high. Has anybody made one and if so do you have a design or specification that you would be willing to share? Or indeed can anyone link me to a site where such designs may be available?

Thanks

Hugh

Hi Guys

Hopefully this is in the right section. I am looking to construct a small cold room for a few deer. I am thinking of something around 3 ft square by about 5/6 ft high. Has anybody made one and if so do you have a design or specification that you would be willing to share? Or indeed can anyone link me to a site where such designs may be available?

Thanks

Hugh

I bought a modular kit from glacier coldrooms - blackburn way. The smallest they had ever supplied apparently and they had quite a chuckle as they're used to supplying massive kit to warehouses etc. Monoblock unit plus camlock fittings on the panels. I fitted a couple of rails and can get 3 big reds in there at a push (or lots of roe!). I went for this over one of the Coolgame style to get the height for reds. I'll try and dig out a picture... Was a load cheaper than Coolgame too.

It's 1160mm x 1360mm and 2160mm high. Cost was £2k including VAT / delivery etc and half an hour of one or so of their guys to help me cut a few bits and get me started with the installation. Pretty straightforward to put together once you know what you're doing but a couple of panels needed cutting (I had to cut the door "hole" and also the hole to slot the monoblock through - very straightforward with a jigsaw).

From memory, a smaller Coolgame unit (only about 800mm x 800mm and much reduced height) was something like £3k. This is much more flexible for what I wanted and if I needed to make it bigger in future all I'd need a new floor / ceiling and a couple of extra wall panels as it's modular. Monobloc is more than capable of chilling a much larger volume.

I'm thinking about building one myself.
I have a storage area that it can go in.
I have a chiller unit I'm just about to take from a van.
I'm thinking 100mm celotex for all walls and ceiling, lined with pvc cladding. Something a bit more solid for the floor but still over cellotex.
I reckon an 8x4, 8ft high will cost me £500 plus someone to set the chiller back up.

Edd

I'm thinking about building one myself.
I have a storage area that it can go in.
I have a chiller unit I'm just about to take from a van.
I'm thinking 100mm celotex for all walls and ceiling, lined with pvc cladding. Something a bit more solid for the floor but still over cellotex.
I reckon an 8x4, 8ft high will cost me £500 plus someone to set the chiller back up.

Edd
That sounds pretty reasonable. Would be interested to know the full spec and final cost when it’s done.

Mine will be cheaper but assuming you pay internet prices for stuff insulation is about £40 a sheet and decent ply the same. Cladding about £20.
Mine will go in a corner so cellotex stuck to 2 existing walls, 2 other walls including 1 with door would just be insulation bonded to the ply and fixed together by the overlaps. The roof the same, ply outside and insulation inside. Door too, made in situ as I go.
100mm in the floor would allow loads to create falls or a drain.

So in my case 8 sheets of insulation, 3 sheets of ply and 8 cladding. Some adhesive, some foam and maybe some trims. Few fixings and odd bits of hardware.
Easy to make bigger by adding more panels. But 8x4 will be plenty for me.
Having the refrigeration unit already makes it simple for me but I've no idea what it would cost to buy something like that.
I'm sure I'd have it built in a very easy day.

If/when I get around to it I'll put up some info.

Edd

Hows things Edd,

Looking on line at a separate monoblock chiller unit new is around £1500 mark and a new chiller box only varies in price so for a unit in full would cost £2000 plus its lucky you have a chiller unit but you have always come up smelling of roses 🌹🌹🌹

Mine will be cheaper but assuming you pay internet prices for stuff insulation is about £40 a sheet and decent ply the same. Cladding about £20.
Mine will go in a corner so cellotex stuck to 2 existing walls, 2 other walls including 1 with door would just be insulation bonded to the ply and fixed together by the overlaps. The roof the same, ply outside and insulation inside. Door too, made in situ as I go.
100mm in the floor would allow loads to create falls or a drain.

So in my case 8 sheets of insulation, 3 sheets of ply and 8 cladding. Some adhesive, some foam and maybe some trims. Few fixings and odd bits of hardware.
Easy to make bigger by adding more panels. But 8x4 will be plenty for me.
Having the refrigeration unit already makes it simple for me but I've no idea what it would cost to buy something like that.
I'm sure I'd have it built in a very easy day.

If/when I get around to it I'll put up some info.

Edd
I would love to see the photos of the project as you move ahead with it. It is something along the lines of what I was thinking and for the floor I was going to build it on well insulated pallets which will give stability and height. It will need to be watertight though as I will not be able to get under it for cleaning. I will be interested in seeing how you progress.

Hugh

Hows things Edd,

Looking on line at a separate monoblock chiller unit new is around £1500 mark and a new chiller box only varies in price so for a unit in full would cost £2000 plus its lucky you have a chiller unit but you have always come up smelling of roses 🌹🌹🌹

Hi Paul, long time no see. Hope you and yours are well.
I've looked at refrigerated vans a few times to use as chiller.
Box vans seem to be easy as it's pretty much a case of take the back off and drive the rest away.
The one I bought is a Peugeot long wheel base (that I'm going to build a camper in) so the 2 part chiller unit is plenty big enough. The insulation will come from work but even if it didn't it can be a lot cheaper than my estimates as I based it on 100mm where I'm sure less would be fine.
I'm either going to build it at the shop (out in my storage) or at John (evs) place. Either way it will be in a corner so save building 2 walls. And of course no labour costs.
But as ever there are a million other things to do.

Edd

Back