Conquest failure

bewsher500

Has anyone ever had a zeiss conquest fail on them?

i recently swapped a 4-14x44 non target turret conquest for a target turret version 4-14x50

strapped to my 300wm the barrel clearance on the objective bell is very small but daylight shows through.
loads I worked up group well inside an inch when tested with the x44 scope

when I checked the zero the grouping was ok but I had a flyer which I put down to me, otherwise it moved out to about an inch-inch and a half but fine for my purposes

Yesterday I shot a hind at about 175yds and the shot was a little higher than I had expected from where I aimed. Like 2-3"

checked zero this morning and it was 3.5" high and 1.5" right at 100.
i had to faff around to get the shots within about 1-2" high as the clicks didn't seem to correspond to the actual poi
2moa down made it drop 8" at 100yds (4" high to 4" low
1.5 moa up put it back up 8" (4" low to 4" high!)
1moa put it down 2"

i left it at that as I was sick of chasing it around

this afternoon I clean missed a hind at around 160yds
standing left to right, facing slightly uphill
lying prone solid rest, steady as a rock

Seriously confused I put this mornings target out and the fecking thing was shooting 3.5" low and 1.5" left
putting my shot right under its chest, thankfully there were no legs in the way
thats a 6+" shift since this morning!

i adjusted to bring the shot to 1" high

next shots were 4" high and 2" low and both 1.5" right

scope is tight
action is tight
crown is clear
using a muzzle break, no contact inside
ammo is proven

seriously ****ed off as this is the first time I have taken the scope out, bought brand new
it doesn't seem to track on the turrets and worse it doesn't seem to have held zero from this morning to this afternoon.

have had nothing but trouble with big brand scopes on this rifle
already blown a reticule on a S&B 4-12x44!

luckily I brought the .270 so all is not lost
put paid to my long range plinking I had planned for Sunday!

Will have to sort it out when I get back

Just talking to a mate of mine and he had similar issues with one on his 7mm rem mag. It's currently with Zeiss being sorted. Other than that I don't have any more details, sorry.

That's not good

but

you say you've already damaged an S&B and now you have a faulty Zeus now both these scopes are top quality optics not cheap Chinese tat

I find it strange that you have two faulty scopes that have came off the same rifle yes a 300wm is a bit of an animal but it shouldn't cause any issues with your two scopes

I don't really know what to suggest

Mount bases and ring alignment/concentricity with new scope??

lower mounts never removed, uppers opened, scope removed, new one placed and torqued up
sat perfectly in lowers

S&B failure was a well documented wire reticule version and a moderated rifle
mcleods said they have seen it a lot

not envisaged having to send it back but I will be ****ed if it has to go to the U.S.

Had the same with my Swarovski, you are not alone.
Just out of curiosity have you tried winding it all the way one way, then all the way the other incase something has just got stuck inside?

Hi
Seem to recall earlier post in 2014 suggesting it may be possible to send it to Germany for repair - would be worth investigating before fretting over sending to US and all that may entail.
I have 2x registered through US and 2x more being done through Germany - at the end of the day they are Zeiss......
Cheers
L

Last edited:
Sorry to bust into the middle of your thread. But can Markfox please pm me your number, not sure you are receiving mine? Might be the wifi on the rig! Cheers, and sorry to interrupt.

Gap is visible but less than a mm

no way too swap scopes here, am away for a few days.
this is the reason you always have a back up rifle!

will see what I can deduce when back

Gap is visible but less than a mm

no way too swap scopes here, am away for a few days.
this is the reason you always have a back up rifle!

will see what I can deduce when back

Ed as I probably told you I had a MTC Viper mounted on the .300 once Zeroed it never failed me IMHO it's the scope mate. Hope the issue don't spoil your trip

Even with such a small gap between scope and barrel I wouldn't have thought there would have been any quantifiable 'barrel whip' so close to the action. . . Got to be the scope.

I've seen a slow mo vid of a rifle being fired -the scope visibly bends up and down under the recoil. I can't remember the caliber of rifle but the Objective end definitely moved up and down more than 1mm
might be worth trying it on higher mounts or on a different rifle before having to faff about sending it back to the states

Isn't that odd how things work? The Conquest on my 7-08 has been dragged over rocks, across downed timber, up and down rock escarpments, in an out of pickup truck beds in rain, snow, and sub zero cold -then back into the house- for weeks at a time waiting for my shot and then delivered it spot on. I don't think I've adjusted the scope at all in 2 years. Sorry you're having issues, Amigo.~Muir

It's the tracking (or lack thereof) that had my suspicions going

i expect a close poi shift to click value correlation, this is way off, too much and not enough.

the only other variable is the brake but I am struggling to explain the huge variation without impact on any part of it

I've seen a slow mo vid of a rifle being fired -the scope visibly bends up and down under the recoil. I can't remember the caliber of rifle but the Objective end definitely moved up and down more than 1mm

This was what I was thinking, with less than a mm clearance I think it is quite possible the scope is being hammered by the barrel.
You have a big heavy recoiling calibre and a little whip 1 inch tube scope, both will move.
If the coating on the conquest is as cheap and crappy as the classic divari then it will leave a witness mark.

Neil. :)

hope you get it sorted. but the conquest range is a nightmare to try and get fixed through zeiss uk. they just dont want to know

Back