Deal Or No Deal?

TotalNovice

I am in a position where I can swap my Swarovski 10x42 EL's, my Leica CRF1200 and a minimal amount of cash for a brand new pair of Leica Geovids, either 8x42 or 10x42.

What do you reckon? Deal or no deal?

re'M'ington

Well,as I was in that very same position about 18mths ago I would definitely say deal! I loved my Swaro's but could never remember to carry both,now I just have to carry the bins,and the glass is every bit as good as the swaro's,and better than the old Leica's. I am very glad I dealt!

M

palo

I would also say deal, but try and get your hands on a pair of geovids to try first before making a decision.
Thats what I did before I sold my binos and rangefinder to buy the geovids.

RED-DOT

I have a pair of 8.5X42 EL's and a Leica LRF1200Y and bought a new pair of Geovids and sold them within a short while and now back to the binos and LRF 's. If you lose or damage the Geovids you have nothing left and the low light on the Geovids are no where as good as the Swaros. I find myself using the EL's to see a fox and my lamping partner range finding it.

philip

I have the swaro 10x 42 wouldn't swap for anything, keep em, you won't find better, mine are fantastic.

Tikka

I did exactly that deal about 6 months ago and ended up with a pair of Geovid 10x42HD.

After comparing my Swaro's and the Leica's side by side I personally thought that the Leica's had the edge.

I am very happy with my deal!

If You would like to compare before you buy you are very welcome to have a look at mine.

TotalNovice

Thanks for the info and opinions fella's.

Tikka, I may have to have a look through yours, or, pop down to Martin's and have a glance through his ;)

Lovatscout

well i went to york guns with the intention of buying swaros after all the who ha and yea there ok but i tried the leopold tactical in 10x50 and they are spot on plus mil dot reticle im happy with my choice nice and clear plus a bit bigger objective

RED-DOT

A wee lesson in life guys... i bought my EL's 15 years ago for just under £700 and if i listed them on Ebay today i would have them snapped out of my hand for £1,000 easily... now lets have your Bushnell, Leica, leupold and steiner equivalent comparison to that... the most important thing about spending big money on stuff is what you will get for it when you go to sell it...

rudy65

Red dot i have a set of liecs trinvod 8x42 they are near 20 years old and cost me £450 i dont know what i could sell them for but i know this the glass is still clearer than swaros.
They get used 3 times a week. So a wee lesson to you while your might be worth more i have been looking through clearer glass for less money for 15 + years.

RED-DOT

Yes Rudy65, you may well be correct but the general concensus is that Swarovskis are the better stalking glass and have a back up service second to none and that may be the reason they are better than money in the bank.

PKL

I have put off buying RF's as I'm afraid I'll:
a. gradually lose my ability to judge distance by eye
b. become over reliant on RF's to the point where I start ranging everything even within 150yds
c. start thinking that I'm capable of ethical kills at longer distances, which would undoubtedly end in tears one day
d. weight!

I know it's off subject, but now I've typed the reply I don't feel like deleting it again - LOL