Deer legs

Leica Amplus 6

Matt79

Hi all
I'm looking for a bit of help on preparing deer legs for my dog to eat at the moment they are frozen so I just Thow them out and the pup loves it but he gets blood all over the place and the wife goes mental. Is there a way to dry them or cook them or something like that ? I did get him some from a pet shop that was dry but these are fresh.

Thanks for any help in advance
Mathew

Farmer_J

I can only say try not freezing? But then how do you preserve if you got an excess? Must be able to dry them out a bit. Ours has them but she’s confined to the garden and I haven’t noticed an excess of blood tbh.
They go mad for them though don’t they!

Matt79

I can only say try not freezing? But then how do you preserve if you got an excess? Must be able to dry them out a bit. Ours has them but she’s confined to the garden and I haven’t noticed an excess of blood tbh.
They go mad for them though don’t they!
Oh yes he loves them I just got a bag of 30+ legs sika,red and roe so he's just chewing on a massive legs now lol

T.eddie

not sure what the vets on here may say but my dogs have eaten frozen bones well when they start they are frozen, the way i viewed it was, in the wild if they came across a dead animal in the depths of winter it would likely be frozen and they would still eat it, not everyone would do that im sure but no ill effects this end

Free range rob

I also hang mine outside for a couple of weeks, but I skin as much as possible and they dry out, looks like jerky and they love it.

lillico

I prefer to give spine and neck vertebrae, they aren't brittle and last a lot longer.
Dogs seem to grind the bones down, rather than breaking them open.
Wrap them individually in the cheapest basic freezer bags.

th32

My dog justs loves them, but they caused her stomach obstructions. Do your dogs suffer similar problems?

BTW her favourite part of deer/boar are the ears!

Free range rob

My dog justs loves them, but they caused her stomach obstructions. Do your dogs suffer similar problems?

BTW her favourite part of deer/boar are the ears!
No, but I will say mine fart something terrible if they get too much too often.
Mine also love pigs ears which is a result as I keep pigs for slaughter 😂

PSE Composites Limited