Dot or scope?

Do any of the scopes offer totally parallax error free viewing like the Aimpoint, ie the dot can be way off the scope tube centre yet it will still hit where the dot is covering?

Do any of the scopes offer totally parallax error free viewing like the Aimpoint, ie the dot can be way off the scope tube centre yet it will still hit where the dot is covering?

Interesting question, look forward to the answer.
I think, if you leave the front cover closed on a scope with illuminated ret you can use it as a red dot type by keeping both eyes open...don’t know whether your eye needs to be centred though.
Regards,Ken.

1x scope is ideal. The trouble I have is that the 30mm tube 1-4 or 1-6x20's are really quite bulky and heavy, whereas the older 1" tubed scopes are light and compact. The little Leupold 1-4x20 is only 300 and a bit grams - but it only has their duplex reticle which gets rather lost when in dark woodland. An illuminated dot is helpful.

I have looked through the red dots - Docter, Aimpoint etc - they don't have the nice bright image of a good scope.

What I have seen on the continent is that most hunters on the stands will be using low powered scopes, indeed plenty will be using a normal scope but mag turned right down, but plenty I know leave them on 6x. The beaters and dog handlers will either have open sights or a small red dot - but mostly they will using a rifle around the dogs to dispatch wounded animals - or mosyly they use a long boar dagger - I was told by a lady dog handler on my last hunt in her 60s that you go in with the left knee just behind the ear and pin it to the ground with dagger then slipping in behind the shoulder - she had dispatched a couple that way that day. She said her two GWPs keep the boars attention and protect her. Slightly different to the lady pickerups with a couple of labs or spaniels - but just as scary!

Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24 with the CDI reticle works well for me. The adjustable illuminated central section of the reticle is very good for getting on to moving quarry in any light conditions.

822E3997280BCBC08B777E84F6B387E26D0A6C91.jpg

It seems by watching video 's of the top Boar shooters they all use Aimpoints.
And why do you need to spend fifteen hundred pound for a top German scope when five hundred will do for the Aimpoint,
And you can still use it for woodland stalking with a two inch dot.

I use both, 7x64 with 1.5-6x42 ill red dot scope, 308 Aimpoint.
What I will say is the scoped rifle has to fit perfectly for the eye /scope alignment, otherwise you are more likely of wounding or missing.

Just how far out does the parallax have to be, to be over 3" out, at say 40m ?

Regardless of sight used, you'd want the reticle to be in the correct position, when the rifle is shouldered.

So the rifle needs to be a good fit, even if that relies on an adjustable cheek riser, something I find invaluable.

Just how far out does the parallax have to be, to be over 3" out, at say 40m ?

Regardless of sight used, you'd want the reticle to be in the correct position, when the rifle is shouldered.

So the rifle needs to be a good fit, even if that relies on an adjustable cheek riser, something I find invaluable.
Easy to test for yourself, if I set mine at 10metres and deliberately lift my head of the combe, I can miss a a4 sheet at 100mtres.
The aimpoint is completely different in that you can look from any edge, so long as the dots on the target, so are you, it totally parallax free.

It seems by watching video 's of the top Boar shooters they all use Aimpoints.

Check out which companies sponsor those videos and you'll invariably see 'Aimpoint' emblazoned over everything. Little wonder the participants are using their freebie products.

And why do you need to spend fifteen hundred pound for a top German scope when five hundred will do for the Aimpoint,

Nobody need spend that amount of money if they are able to search for the best deal on the interweb and then able to haggle a bit - not even for the top Austrian scopes. ;) Anyway, it's like comparing apples and oranges with one at a fixed 1x mag and the others variable up to 5 or 6 mag, so whatever suits your needs, style of shooting, and even eyes (some have difficulty taking the shot with both eyes open) which may preclude using a reflex or holographic type sight.

And you can still use it for woodland stalking with a two inch dot.

Maybe, but some will prefer a bit of mag for longer shots. Even when driven hunting it's sometimes advantageous to be able to dial it up a bit depending on the situation.

Easy to test for yourself, if I set mine at 10metres and deliberately lift my head of the combe, I can miss a a4 sheet at 100mtres.
The aimpoint is completely different in that you can look from any edge, so long as the dots on the target, so are you, it totally parallax free.

I'm not surprised, but to be fair, the tube on the Aimpoint is pretty narrow, and you don't have to move you head very far, before you lose the sight picture.

Regardless of what sight you favour, learning to shoulder the rifle consistently, is the start to being accurate.

I have looked through the red dots - Docter, Aimpoint etc - they don't have the nice bright image of a good scope.

You don't need a bright scope image as you are mounting the rifle like a shotgun with both eyes open, focusing on the target; you just need the dot to be visible & to ignore the scope tube, hence why the parallax-free of the Aimpoint is so important. I find it much easier & more instinctive than trying to look through a scope.

Last edited:
I use both but the aimpoint h1 and h2 micros are very light and don't ruin the handling of the rifle. For shooting combination guns and drillings it makes them ideal.

Back