Driven boar UK

alwhitt94

Well if there’s nothing stopping it I think it could definitely be a good business as the boar in Europe are diminishing due to the African swine fever so has the potential to make thousands with the right set up

reloader54

Well if there’s nothing stopping it I think it could definitely be a good business as the boar in Europe are diminishing due to the African swine fever so has the potential to make thousands with the right set up
it seems more likely wild boar, who it would appear have no status in this country, despite being indigenous to it will be eradicated in an attempt to halt the spread of asf. to protect uk pork.
I also believe once something is tagged as "the potential to make thousands with the right set up" it will quickly fall foul of all kinds of protests, just like driven grouse,pheasant, partridge, hare, etc.
time will tell.

but don't assume I 'm anti wild boar, I would welcome them in my part of the world,[cue the incoming flack?] ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bavarianbrit

This theme was on once before on SD. We have a different culture to shooting in the UK and the safety aspects alone would give most FEOs the shivers as it is unfamiliar territory.

alwhitt94

i don’t see it being any different to when we stalk deer, we are always responsible for where your bullet ends up and this would have to be emphasised before the shoot begins also if you could show the safety precautions taken it would be fine

243varmint

The biggest population in the UK is in the FoD.
Open access 24/7 to Joe public..
Arranging a driven hunt there would be a nightmare. Closing the whole forest down will never happen.

Jagare

I was looking at the organisation of the driven hunt in Hungary a few weeks ago. By the time you have payed all the beaters, transporting guns out to their stands, the tracking team, lunch and the handling of the boar i doubt there is thousands to be made. You need a much bigger area to hunt driven boar than a pheasant shoot.
A small driven day with mates and a couple of good dogs would be interesting. It can take a couple of hours for a dog to shift stubborn boar out of thick cover it ain't like flushing pheasants Why does it have to be about money? why not have a bit of fun with your mates.

alwhitt94

I was looking at the organisation of the driven hunt in Hungary a few weeks ago. By the time you have payed all the beaters, transporting guns out to their stands, the tracking team, lunch and the handling of the boar i doubt there is thousands to be made. You need a much bigger area to hunt driven boar than a pheasant shoot.
A small driven day with mates and a couple of good dogs would be interesting. It can take a couple of hours for a dog to shift stubborn boar out of thick cover it ain't like flushing pheasants Why does it have to be about money? why not have a bit of fun with your mates.
It’s not about money so much I just would rather pay to do it here than thousands abroad and with the boar having a value more money is spent on their habitat and keeping them rather than them being a pest also I think you would find a lot of people interested in it I myself would like to shoot but also wouldn’t mind having a go at beating a lot like the beaters I know they just enjoy doing it

finnbear270

The amount of shots being heard in such a small heavily populated area would cause mayhem ........ Our civil population is not wired up like the European mainlanders, can you imagine letting around twenty dogs run free in F o D? ...

Jagare

It’s not about money so much I just would rather pay to do it here than thousands abroad and with the boar having a value more money is spent on their habitat and keeping them rather than them being a pest also I think you would find a lot of people interested in it I myself would like to shoot but also wouldn’t mind having a go at beating a lot like the beaters I know they just enjoy doing it
A pack of fox hounds would be a poor choice for driven boar. The french use their own breed of fox hound type dogs for boar but the hunting style is special to them.
Believe me boar need no money spent on their habitat or keeping them. The boar i have on my ground i don't see as a pest but i live in the middle of a forest with no real agriculture for many miles. If i had a farm with growing crops i would have a very different view about boar.
This is the problem with hunting today. Many hunters are town based and want to stalk, shoot something. All very well and good when you don't see the damage that your favorite game animal causes and can spend a day in the counryside and then go home to the burbs.
A small scale driven day would be possible in the UK but its not likely to happen as others have said.

mchughcb

Remember the thread about fieldsports uk doing a muntjac hunt. Self appointed SD experts gave their opinion of why this type of hunting should not be done in the UK.

I've done all sorts of driven hunts, moose, bear, deer, kangaroos, wallabies and pigs.
Oh did i mention foxes lol.

I can up with a hundred reasons not to do it and 2 hundred why you can.

The only thing holding people back is themselves.

The thing about driven hunts it requires people to work as a team and for people that prefer to hunt solo its a concept that they have trouble with.