Drones?

Yorric

Sooo these things can fly for 20 minutes at up to 20 mph - How great is the control system range??
For "our" purposes they would need to have a decent range - up to a few hundred metres at least. - Half a mile would be good but out of sight you'd need a live video feed back to the control point.
I'm sure there are some "big brother" government restrictions to this type of system.

Great technology tho'

Ian

private fraser

The lacs are talking about monitoring possible "illegality" but there is a lot of legislation that they can fall foul of as well.
Looks like there could be a new "battleground".
At the prices these things are running at,it's only a matter of time.....

Mickeydredd

They can go pretty high seemingly and some have a "return to base" system driven by gps that has them return to the operator if control signal lost or battery goes load.

Sooo these things can fly for 20 minutes at up to 20 mph - How great is the control system range??
Ian

Alistair

For "our" purposes they would need to have a decent range - up to a few hundred metres at least. - Half a mile would be good but out of sight you'd need a live video feed back to the control point.
I'm sure there are some "big brother" government restrictions to this type of system.

Great technology tho'

Ian
In answer to your questions; control range using a standard commercially available 2.4GHz system (about £200) will be about 0.5miles assuming line of sight and no interference from other sources. Realistically about 350-500m. Live video is available from hobby shops, as is telemetry, cameras and mounts for 'go pro' style systems and one can also source servo controlled mounts which can be remotely controlled from an iphone or a second transmitter.
As far as I'm aware, the only restrictions are:
No flying above 200m from the ground (virtually unenforceable)
No entry of prohibited airspace (MOD, airports etc)
No use of surveillance style footage without prior consent

20mins is a fairly conservative estimate these days, 35mins+ is achievable with the right motor/battery combo, and when you consider that when I took up RC helicopters about 10years ago, the current nicad cells were good for about 5mins and were so heavy as to be practically unusable whilst todays systems with LiPo batteries and brushless motors are far superior in performance to the old glow fuel ones or even the modern equivalents, it won't be long before flights of an hour or so will be feasible. The prices are also dropping very quickly. On the downside, they are still a considerable investment, especially when one considers that a rough landing or a battery failure could set you back £500+ for the system, plus the camera and they are also quite noisy so not exactly ideal for observing deer with. I know of one guy who uses one for taking pictures of peoples houses and pubs etc so that they can buy and frame it. I think he also plays with wildlife photography, but I don't know how successfully...

Yorric

Thanks Alistair - The noise is clearly a concern - would not larger diameter slower rotating air screws be the answer to that one?

Ian

Alistair

I'm not the one to ask tbh. I am more into the 3D style flying, stunts and stuff. I should have thought that a wider rotor with a more aggressively pitched blade or perhaps a 4 piece rotor on a single spindle rotating much slower would be a bit quieter, but you can't do much to muffle the motor or the esc unit without lots of heavy sound insulation and that is the loudest component in general leisurely flight.

sauer

There is alas local I know uses these and makes fantastic vids of local landmarks
He uses his & fly any camera .... Max range he has done I believe is 1000 m or bit over
But was told the things he are flying are few thou £ all in & bit plus modding

Google or YouTube rudeboy fpv ( first person viewing)

Paul

eggy s

I have flown mine to 906m, I ranged it :)

Had to bring it home then as the viewing googles did not like that kind of range.

Good luck using it for anything stalking related. Deer do not like them, I know as I have tried on a number of occasions.

Timbo61

These things are being quite widely used here in NZ for things like realestate filming, specially on big frams/stations.
We are going to try a couple out very soon for Search and Rescue aplications. I don't hold out much hope though, as current legislation means that you cannot fly them out of your line of sight. This would probably restrict the usability in the terrain we are dealing with.
As far as Deer are concerned, the animals here have an inbuilt fear of anything that sounds like a chopper.

fresh slots

They are fantastic but the problem will be aviation permissions. The aussies are using them to deliver pizzas through google but british aviation authority is an angry place of tedium. Wait for ten years for what should take 2.

lotuseater

Can I shoot down an intruder drone over my land with a 12 bore? What is the law on that?

If the antis use drones it might be fun to blow one out of the sky.