DSC 2 options

CDSG Shooting Sports

pete evans

Hi All

I did my DSC level one about 15 years ago and registered for DSC2 but never got round to doing it and the time to complete it elapsed. I reregistered last october as it was a prerequisite of booking onto the Arran stalking scheme. A year later and I haven't really given it any thought (ive stalked and shot several deer since) . Looking at the e portfolio today it appears that I have to do Three stalks witnessed by an assessor and the associated inspection gralloch transport and storage? Is there any pre stalking requirements or modules? or anything else that needs to be attended to?

My position is that I have access to my own stalking so haven't done a paid stalk where I could potentially book with a witness and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. In this situation what are your options?

Pete

pete evans

Reregister and do one stalk.
Regards
JCS
already registered. I think as my application predated the change to one stalk I will have to do 3. My e portfolio has 3 stalks on it. Regarding the stalking was more my point, I suspect there are people with different experiences good and bad of completing their L2 so was looking for recomendations as well as advice. Im in Oxford.

willie_gunn

Pete

Have sent you a PM.

Changing from three ICR's to one sounds good on the face of it, but do consider that in the ideal world it means you now need to complete the entire ICR, front to back, in just the one outing.

In the past it was not uncommon that each of the three ICR's could take you, say, 3 hours with each outing covering different elements but making up the necessary standard overall. Now it is likely to take you perhaps 5 or 6 hours for just the one ICR, particularly if the larder you use is some way from your stalking ground. Remember that the AW has to witness you across all PC's, so will be accompanying you to the larder in order to witness your work.

I am presuming here that you do have a larder, and it is up to scratch in terms of meeting the legal requirements. If not, that's another thing to factor into the equation.

BTW, it will be three (or one) stalks accompanied by an Approved Witness (AW). The AW witnesses your stalk(s) and completes and submits a copy of the ICR. The Assessor gets involved once the ICR's have been submitted - the Assessor will then want to question both you and the AW. Given you have your DSC1 and FAC there are no other pre-stalking requirements or modules necessary, but you might want to have a chat with an AW first to understand what's involved, etc. As you have registered you will already have received a list of AW's - there are quite a selection within easy reach of you. I would suggest getting in touch with a few and finding the one who you feel best suits your needs and requirements.

Last edited:

25 Sharps

So reading this you only need to do one stalk now?

Not something I’ve really considered as shoot on my own ground or on invitation from others’ who don’t require it.

But I can Definitely see a time it will be required so if it’s only one stalk can’t see a reason not to get on with it!

willie_gunn

Not something I’ve really considered as shoot on my own ground or on invitation from others’ who don’t require it.

But I can Definitely see a time it will be required so if it’s only one stalk can’t see a reason not to get on with it!

Yes, the new format of DSC2 only requires the Candidate to complete one Independent Cull Report (ICR).

You can find a lot of useful information on the DMQ website here: Downloads – Deer Management Qualification

In particular you might want to have a look through the DSC2 Candidate Guidance, which walks you through the whole process: https://www.dmq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/ePortfolio-candidate-guidance-April-2021.pdf

jcampbellsmith

This is a good summary of the recent changes - Changes to DSC1 and DSC2 - The British Deer Society
I would crack on and get your DSC2 done. Lots of folk who put off doing DSC1 are regretting it now.
Regards
JCS

25 Sharps

Friendly Boar

Re-register and do the single stalk to save hassle. You need to be ready to go through the complete tasks with ease. You will be either competent or not and have the knowledge required. Good luck with it. 👍🏼

308tikka

Whichever organisation you choose to go with, will have a complete list Of DMQ AWs for your area. There should be plenty in Oxfordshire and the neighbouring counties.

Dudleys1

Whichever organisation you choose to go with, will have a complete list Of DMQ AWs for your area. There should be plenty in Oxfordshire and the neighbouring counties.
Not too happy with BASC
Sent my registration form on Thursday and they called within 30 minutes for payment and said I would receive all my information by email that afternoon
Never got it and when I tried to call the number the next day it went straight to voicemail
The person who deals with accounts is obviously working as the payment went across

308tikka

When you get it, their list is the same as everyone elses......

Cannot say Im surprised, though I did mine with them the personnel have changed since.

MARS 4 THERMAL SCOPE SERIES