EU Withdrawal Agreement....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I share very little in terms of beliefs with the USA and if it was brother id disown the bible bashing bunch of self obsessed lunatics ;) but that aside

I am struggling to make the leap from a democraticticly elected EU? to this Totalitarian state you speak off?

The USA is a federal state but I never considered them Totalitarian?

I have known people who left ireland, the uk and europe for america, and none would return again. It cannot be that terrible a place can it ?

:) so many little Britains to be disappointed where even a clean Brexit no deal will leave us with another 10 years to agree trade terms. With an external co-operation and alignment agreement being put in place at the same time. Why? Because it makes economic sense.
In between look at how many high grade jobs and above being created in Dit Defra and the like. Look at the jobs needed in border force. If the £350m ever existed it will be spent on admin. :lol:
Look on the bright side we might get some cheap cholirinated chicken in the shops and as small farms move to higher environmental schemes we could have some good stalking.

I’m hoping that DEFRA / RPA (etc) look after not just me as a smallholder but the small to medium sized farms too - not too sure with Gove meddling though! The cost of food won’t affect me as we’ve been buying British / organic for years (and paying more too boot) but the ordinary shrink wrapped Joe’s will have a shock after Brexit, I think.

I fear those that push for this will yet again capitalise if smaller farms go to the wall - selling the farmhouses off and absorbing the land into yet bigger super-farms

The European Parliament is the only "parliament" in the world which cannot enact, amend or repeal legislation. It is a rubber stamping shop and nothing more. And a very expensive one at that. The EP can talk about legislation and make proposals but MEPs have no powers to enact, amend or repeal whatsoever. Those powers lie exclusively with the unelected, self appointed European Commission, a body, let us remind ourselves, made up almost entirely of failed politicians who were rejected by genuine democracy in their own countries and sacked by their former electorates. It is staggering that anyone would mention the toothless cardboard European Parliament and democracy in the same sentence.

Equally staggering is the remainer's delusion that staying in the EU and maintaining a presence in its meaningless parliament somehow allows us to "have a say" over the legislation that is enacted against us. For one thing, as explained above, the EP has no control over the legislative process, but even if it did, the UK wields just 9% of the vote and British MEPs, though they have tried thousands of times, have never ever managed to stop, vote down or amend in any way a single piece of legislation that was considered harmful to our national interest.

Nothing in the ruling processes of the EU have been designed to represent or advance the national interests of member states. The system has been designed expressly to expunge democracy and dissolve national interest, not serve it.

I am sorry I have no idea what your talking about I think your confusing the EU Commission and the EU Council

The EU Council is the main legastlave body of the EU and its made up of government ministers from each member state. The people on the council are not fixed they are sent relative to the matter at hand. They have the power to represent their respective countries and enact any EU directive law etc into their respective countries

the EU Commission, who take a pledge to represent the interests of the EU as a whole over the individual wants of their respective countries, propose the measures.

the EU parliament in conjunction with the EU council negotiate the proposals

The EU Council enacts them

The EU Parliament has the following powers

Legislative

Supervisory

• Democratic scrutiny of all EU institutions
  • Electing the Commission President and approving the Commission as a body. Possibility of voting a motion of censure, obliging the Commission to resign
  • Granting discharge, i.e. approving the way EU budgets have been spent
  • Examining citizens' petitions and setting up inquiries
  • Discussing monetary policy with the European Central Bank
  • Questioning Commission and Council
  • Election observations

The EU Counsel is made up of parliamentary representatives of the member states

What does the Council do?

• Negotiates and adopts EU laws, together with the European Parliament, based on proposals from the European Commission
  • Coordinates EU countries' policies
  • Develops the EU's foreign & security policy, based on European Council guidelines
  • Concludes agreements between the EU and other countries or international organisations
  • Adopts the annual EU budget - jointly with the European Parliament.

what's going on ??? I got an "alert" telling me "chasey has quoted your post in
EU Withdrawal Agreement at
Today at 9:26 PM

I cant see where that occurred, at 9.26 pm chasey looks to have quoted "Finch",, any idea why,, admin,, anyone?

I share very little in terms of beliefs with the USA and if it was brother id disown the bible bashing bunch of self obsessed lunatics ;) but that aside

I am struggling to make the leap from a democraticticly elected EU? to this Totalitarian state you speak off?

The USA is a federal state but I never considered them Totalitarian?

Normally I enjoy reading your posts brother , but bible bashing self obsessed lunatics ? I wouldn't expect such a stereotypical and bigoted remark from someone with your intelligence . Dissagreeing with someones politics is one thing , denegrating and entire people is another . Trump does that , welcome to the club .

Steve Howlett

Normally I enjoy reading your posts brother , but bible bashing self obsessed lunatics ? I wouldn't expect such a stereotypical and bigoted remark from someone with your intelligence . Dissagreeing with someones politics is one thing , denegrating and entire people is another . Trump does that , welcome to the club .

Steve Howlett

I'm all for free speech , however people have had their accounts suspended for lesser anti american comments. just saying, if there are to be rules should they not be applied equally to each and every one?

I am sorry I have no idea what your talking about I think your confusing the EU Commission and the EU Council

The EU Council is the main legastlave body of the EU and its made up of government ministers from each member state. The people on the council are not fixed they are sent relative to the matter at hand. They have the power to represent their respective countries and enact any EU directive law etc into their respective countries

the EU Commission, who take a pledge to represent the interests of the EU as a whole over the individual wants of their respective countries, propose the measures.

the EU parliament in conjunction with the EU council negotiate the proposals

The EU Council enacts them

The EU Parliament has the following powers

Legislative

Supervisory

• Democratic scrutiny of all EU institutions
  • Electing the Commission President and approving the Commission as a body. Possibility of voting a motion of censure, obliging the Commission to resign
  • Granting discharge, i.e. approving the way EU budgets have been spent
  • Examining citizens' petitions and setting up inquiries
  • Discussing monetary policy with the European Central Bank
  • Questioning Commission and Council
  • Election observations

The EU Counsel is made up of parliamentary representatives of the member states

What does the Council do?

• Negotiates and adopts EU laws, together with the European Parliament, based on proposals from the European Commission
  • Coordinates EU countries' policies
  • Develops the EU's foreign & security policy, based on European Council guidelines
  • Concludes agreements between the EU and other countries or international organisations
  • Adopts the annual EU budget - jointly with the European Parliament.
You've merely confirmed what I've said already. The EU Parliament, the only EU body accountable to the electorates of European member states, does not have sovereign legislative authority. Its legislative powers you describe above corroborate my description of the EP as a rubber stamping shop.
It may well approve or reject proposals from the Council and/or Commission, but the Commission has the power to overrule or simply ignore the Parliament and pass rejected proposals into law, and it has done so frequently.
It is as I said: a paper parliament, pure and simply, its role to nod through laws made by unelected officials. The exact opposite of real democracy where unelected officials do the bidding of the elected house.

Steve Howlett

You did see the winking smiley face right?

Sorry if you took offence it was supposed to be a humorous jibe

You've merely confirmed what I've said already. The EU Parliament, the only EU body accountable to the electorates of European member states, does not have sovereign legislative authority. Its legislative powers you describe above corroborate my description of the EP as a rubber stamping shop.
It may well approve or reject proposals from the Council and/or Commission, but the Commission has the power to overrule or simply ignore the Parliament and pass rejected proposals into law, and it has done so frequently.
It is as I said: a paper parliament, pure and simply, its role to nod through laws made by unelected officials. The exact opposite of real democracy where unelected officials do the bidding of the elected house.

Your not making any sense

1: The EU commission does not have the power to overrule the parliament

2: The democratic system works in a simila way to the UK system. The UK MPs are elected So are the MEPs. The MPs chose their leader Same as the EU choosing who heads up the commission. The UK Cabinit (Think EU Commission) puts together the proposals which have to then be put before parliament in the same way the EU Commission puts things before the EU parliament

The UK parliament has the power to reject the Cabinets proposal in the same way as the EU parliament has the power to reject the EU commissions proposals. The UK unelected house of lords pass the bills into law and in the EU the EU Council do the same

The European Parliament

The European Parliament is the democratically elected chamber of the European Union, comprised of 751 elected Members of the European Parliament (MEPs) representing every region of each EU country. Parliament has the power to amend or block proposals from the Commission for new EU legislation or changes to existing legislation. Through votes in Parliament or Parliamentary Committees, MEPs can also ask the Commission to bring forward proposals for new legislation. Thus, the European Commission and European Parliament have a close working relationship.

The only way the Council can stop legislation going through parliament is to withdraw the proposal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back